Are Cavies really 1.4 points better than Crown?

The answer to this question is no.:rock:

• Like 2

Percussion . I have heard "percussion guys" say both: Crown's percussion is smoking this year and they're just ok. So - I look what other judges have had to say. Based on their scores and spreads so far -- I'd guess they're no lower than 4th.

Crown is doing very well this year and should be commended for that. They are far from "just ok." However, there are a few lines this year that are just absolutely insane, and as a result, Crown is getting overshadowed.

One of my former instructors used to say, "According to most other drummers, there are only two types of drumlines in this activity: lines that are awesome, and lines that suck. You guys do it too! You walk around the parking lot and say, 'Man, these guys are killer!' or 'These guys just aren't cutting it this year.' You will never hear a drummer in the parking lot say, 'this is a decent snareline.'"

That really resonated with me, because up until that point, I was a person like that. Now I always try to recognize demand, talent, and hard work in every group I watch and as a result, I am much happier with the state of the activity.

• Like 1

cavaliers guard usually blows me away. I'm not too impressed with them this year though.

that being said 1.4 spread between crown and cavies seems accurate to me.... but I also think BD and cadets should be above crown so take it for what it is.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 5

I have not seen either LIVE, but from what Ive seen in the theaters and on the 'site that shall not be named' I find the Cavies show to be a bit....boring. Musically especially. Am I alone here?

No, hardly alone. Absent the stilts and the upside down tenors, it's pretty much Cavs 101. Brass is stronger than I've heard in a while...so that is one improvement. Parts of the show bring some excitement, but there are long "yawner" stretches in the show as well. They've just been better prepared and cleaner than everyone else since the get-go, but can they sustain an edge over the long run?

• Like 1

That really resonated with me, because up until that point, I was a person like that. Now I always try to recognize demand, talent, and hard work in every group I watch and as a result, I am much happier with the state of the activity.

There are too many people who pass judgement based on things OTHER than what the performers are doing and how they are doing it. A 10 second read on DCP will reveal this. It takes a genuine effort to set aside what you *think* you know and have an open mind. But it's worth it :-)

As for Crown's percussion -- I'll leave that to the drummers to debate cool.gif

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I love drum corps snobs who say that crown cant win because of too much cheese. That's GE, and the crowd is eating it up. If the sheets were somehow punishing that...well... thatd be a huge problem with the sheets, actively discouraging shows that please crowds.

IMHO, cavaliers and crown were the clear 1&2 last night, i thought they were on another level from BD\Cadets.

• Like 2

I love drum corps snobs who say that crown cant win because of too much cheese. That's GE, and the crowd is eating it up. If the sheets were somehow punishing that...well... thatd be a huge problem with the sheets, actively discouraging shows that please crowds.

IMHO, cavaliers and crown were the clear 1&2 last night, i thought they were on another level from BD\Cadets.

I'd hope that cheese wouldn't be the only way of pleasing a crowd, and think that's quite true despite your obvious preference for it <g> (are you sure you're not from Wisconsin?). Not sure which show you were watching last nite, but I thought Cavs and BD were the clear 1 and 1A last night. Crown's show is well performed, but is a bit of a mess musically IMHO yet I do agree they're a step up from Cadets. I know, you'll probably try to portray me as a BD homer, but I'm quite realistic when assessing their program. Many issues still to address for them, but it was a VERY strong performance last nite. I think if you'd had BD going on directly after Cavs last nite, they'd probably have overtaken Crown.

• Like 2

I'd hope that cheese wouldn't be the only way of pleasing a crowd, and think that's quite true despite your obvious preference for it <g> (are you sure you're not from Wisconsin?). Not sure which show you were watching last nite, but I thought Cavs and BD were the clear 1 and 1A last night. Crown's show is well performed, but is a bit of a mess musically IMHO yet I do agree they're a step up from Cadets. I know, you'll probably try to portray me as a BD homer, but I'm quite realistic when assessing their program. Many issues still to address for them, but it was a VERY strong performance last nite. I think if you'd had BD going on directly after Cavs last nite, they'd probably have overtaken Crown.

And of course cheese isnt the only way of pleasing a crowd (though i did march in a wisconsin corps, haha!), but there are posters here who say crown's show sucks and shouldnt be receiving good scores because of the cheese.

BD needs a lot of visual rewrites if they want to be 1\1A. Musically theyre great (which is a welcome change after last year), and theyre clean... but nowhere near the visual demand of the others in the top 4 right now.

Edited by AlexL