Where's the cheese?

Why do you hate everything that has to do with Band....? DCI is basically marching band on STEROIDS - the woodwinds.

I don't see it that way at all. I am not interested in scholastic marching band. Nothing to do with the performance level; in fact, I have seen many high school bands that could outperform many drum corps. Where are those steroids now?

A lot of drum corps just happen to be...really good. I would expect so given the talent level, focus, rehearsal time, etc. Some aren't that good.

Every middle aged white guy I saw at the shows I've been to had a hard time holding their hotdogs down while watching the crown show.

The bandos, on the other hand... were practically leaping on to the field with excitement.

Since we are into demographic breakdowns here, what about middle age college degreed women ?

And what about" middle age white guys that only marched band " ? I know, thats a REAL toughie. What is your observations on these demographics regarding their response to Crown's show ?

Edited by BRASSO

Good thing this isn't a reading comprehension class. Because you'd be failing.

Bandos like classic rock shows. Because they are easy. They aren't cerebral. Because they are convinced it will make them less geeky.

In reality, it does none of the above.

Obviously you haven't been to a BOA show recently. The stuff they're doing is very very cerebral. Just because something is cheesy doesn't mean it's not drum corps. Drum Corps has been doing cheese for a VERY long time. And, just because something is cheesy doesn't mean it can't be good. 80s music proved that. The litmus test is this: is the corps doing cheesy stuff to distract from poor performance ability? Certainly not in Crown's case. They have the best hornline this year so far, and their drumline and colorguard, while scoring low in comparison yesterday, are contributing heavily to ensemble and GE captions. No, this is good cheese.

As for the geeky comment, kids these days, especially band kids, don't seem to care about being geeky these days. Go see a Harry Potter showing if you don't believe me. Geeky is in.

Since we are into demographic breakdowns here, what about middle age college degreed women ? Did they like Crown in your observation ? What about Asian young men under the age of 30 ?

what about" middle age white guys that only marched band " ? I know, thats a toughie. What is your observations on these demographics regarding their response to Crown's show ?

Unfortunately, at these shows, I've been surrounded by mostly middle aged men...

Maybe I would have liked Crown more, had I been surrounded by Asians and College degreed middle aged women. :tongue:

And although you were trying to prove a point... I think it actually would be VERY cool if corps did a demographic breakdown of their fan's and how they rate the corps that season.

Obviously you haven't been to a BOA show recently. The stuff they're doing is very very cerebral.

Yep. Never said BOA wasn't doing cerebral shows. There is a large gradient in understanding my post, mostly because we have such a broad variation in what "bando" means.

I think bands can be cerebral. I think corps can be cheese. I think bando isn't an all encompassing term for band kids. It is a certain type of band kid. And that type is much better seen than described.

No. There is something called context. I love the sound of an electric guitar. When played by a rock band. Not a drum and bugle corps.

This. For the love of god, this.

• Like 2

Interesting discussion. Let's replace the word "cheesey" with the word "hokey".

–adjective hok·i·er, hok·i·est.

1.cloyingly sentimental; mawkish.

2. obviously contrived, especially to win popular appeal or support; phony.

The core of the secondary definition is the area of debate, and the thing about the program that I've observed. Even though it doesn't particularly bother me one way or another, I'd have to say that there is a level of phoniness involved in the "rock" elements.

Don't get me wrong. The show's fun. My kids are guessing that my wife will like them most tonight (she's not a drum corps person). But I can understand why some folks find it a little hokey, and how that could just rub someone the wrong way.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 2

Yep. Never said BOA wasn't doing cerebral shows. There is a large gradient in understanding my post, mostly because we have such a broad variation in what "bando" means.

I think bands can be cerebral. I think corps can be cheese. I think bando isn't an all encompassing term for band kids. It is a certain type of band kid. And that type is much better seen than described.

So what you're saying is... Cheese is bando because it reminds you of geeky band kids, not the cool band kids. The cool band kids are all cerebral and listen to Bela Bartok on the weekends...?

Interesting discussion. Let's replace the word "cheesey" with the word "hokey".

–adjective hok·i·er, hok·i·est.

1.cloyingly sentimental; mawkish.

2. obviously contrived, especially to win popular appeal or support; phony.

Biggest example of drum corps cheese I can think of is the script of Cadets 2008. "...A celebration of how lucky we are to be part of this wonderful world."

That was said. Over a loudspeaker. As part of a performance by a drum and bugle corps.

Yup.