Where's the cheese?

Geek and geek chic are very different. Anyone that has been a high school lunch room can see that being a true geek is still being a true outcast.

So band geeks are the bad kind of geek that nobody likes? Where do you think all the drum corps people in the activity come from? They're 90% band geeks when they go home in August. These kids are not outcasts. In fact, they're specifically not outcasts because they're in the band. Sure they might not be best friends with the football team, but you can't be best friends with everyone. Doesn't make you an outcast. It's the kids that aren't geeky about anything at all, the ones that have no interests and nothing to get excited about. They are the outcasts in today's high schools.

• Like 1

So band geeks are the bad kind of geek that nobody likes? Where do you think all the drum corps people in the activity come from? They're 90% band geeks when they go home in August. These kids are not outcasts. In fact, they're specifically not outcasts because they're in the band. Sure they might not be best friends with the football team, but you can't be best friends with everyone. Doesn't make you an outcast. It's the kids that aren't geeky about anything at all, the ones that have no interests and nothing to get excited about. They are the outcasts in today's high schools.

That is actually true from my experience. It's been a while since high school but the "outcasts" are usually less smart, less interested.

Crown does lay it on pretty thick. There are few things that might be changed, like cutting the Rach Star stuff, using real guitars, etc. that might reduce the cheesiness while maintaining a fun show. But even with all the cheese this show works. People like it, and if you don't there are plenty of "serious" shows to watch. It's good to see a corps having a little fun on the field, even if it's contrived fun, because that's something drum corps has been missing.

For me, there is nothing cheesier than trying to be "cerebral" on a football field . . . trying convey "depth" via a half-baked, pseudo-intellectual theme in a medium as clumsy as drum corps will always make me cringe harder than Rach Star or Triple Crown or Finis.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, at these shows, I've been surrounded by mostly middle aged men...

Maybe I would have liked Crown more, had I been surrounded by Asians and College degreed middle aged women. :tongue:

And although you were trying to prove a point... I think it actually would be VERY cool if corps did a demographic breakdown of their fan's and how they rate the corps that season.

I went to a show this year and the average age I'd estimate to be about 58-60 or so, probably 99% white. Split about even between men and women. When I go to the theatre to watch DCI, I would estimate the average age to be maybe a little higher.. about 62-66 perhaps. There are virtually noone under the age of 25 in the theatre watching DCI Drum Corps, except a handful that tagged along with their parents for one reason or another that night.

My guess, not too many " bandos " in my area going to DCI in the theatre unless they were ushers or working the concessions or whatnot. But its a good question. I'd imagine DCI has a pretty good grasp as to who is buying tickets these days. My guess, not a lot of them are alums of Corps from the last 2 decades or so.

Edited by BRASSO

I went to a show this year and the average age I'd estimate to be about 58-60 or so, probably 99% white. Split about even between men and women. When I go to the theatre to watch DCI, I would estimate the average age to be maybe a little higher.. about 62-66 perhaps. There are virtually noone under the age of 25 in the theatre watching DCI Drum Corps, except a handful that tagged along with their parents for one reason or another that night.

My guess, not too many " bandos " in my area going to DCI in the theatre unless they were ushers or working the concessions or whatnot. But its a good question. I'd imagine DCI has a pretty good grasp as to who is buying tickets these days. My guess, not a lot of them are alums of Corps from the last 2 decades or so.

When I went to shows in Texas, I'd say the audience was about 40% parents (40 or so), 40% high school and college kids, 20% 50 and above. Racially mixed, lots of hispanics, african americans, and whites. I've been going to shows since I was 3 years old. I don't think I've ever been to a show where I thought the average age was about 60.

When I went to the theaters to watch drum corps, I'd say the majority of people in the theaters were 35 and below. A LOT of high school kids. Very few senior citizens.

Maybe it's just a Texas thing.

1. Crown is messing with our preconceptions. ( Look at this thread! People are analyzing exactly what is "cheese". It needs more rock. It needs less rock. ) IMO that's a hallmark of good design.

2. The show is fun. This is apparently no longer permitted in such a serious art form. The audiences don't seem to mind. The performers are having a blast.

3. The show is competitive. The staff and performers are still delivering an extremely high quality product. The judges don't seem to mind.

So Rach On, DCP :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

1. Crown is messing with our preconceptions. ( Look at this thread! People are analyzing exactly what is "cheese". It needs more rock. It needs less rock. ) IMO that's a hallmark of good design.

2. The show is fun. This is apparently no longer permitted in such a serious art form. The audience's don't seem to mind. The performers are having a blast.

3. The show is competitive. The staff and performers are still delivering an extremely high quality product. The judges don't seem to mind.

This is a good and true post.

• Like 1

2. The show is fun. This is apparently no longer permitted in such a serious art form. The audiences don't seem to mind. The performers are having a blast.

I have to agree with this.

I usually hate cheesy shows ( Suncoast '87, Star '92, Cadets 2002, Scouts 2009) - BUT - this one works, works on many levels and is fun to watch - so kudos to Crown for pulling it off - 'cause it ain't easy to do well!

Later,

Mike

So what you're saying is... Cheese is bando because it reminds you of geeky band kids, not the cool band kids. The cool band kids are all cerebral and listen to Bela Bartok on the weekends...?

Yes. I think what he is saying is that there is a difference between real " geeks " and faux " geeks ". Faux geeks are really geeks that are hip and cool geeks. These are geeks that are "chic geeks" so to speak, whereas real geeks are not really hip and cool... like faux geeks are. Faux geeks are hip and cool, he's saying.

At least thats what I think he's saying anyway.

• Like 1