Where's the cheese?

You forgot the random mosh pit in the pre-show. That just reeks of cheese.

Considered it, but simple visual things like that are a lot easier to not subject yourself to. Audio cheese is the worst, and unavoidable. Most of what I find cheesy is heard, not seen.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 2

And last I checked I knew a ton more middle aged white guys listening to classic rock then 8th grade boys, so stop trying to stigmatize...and quite poorly at that.

Every middle aged white guy I saw at the shows I've been to had a hard time holding their hotdogs down while watching the crown show.

The bandos, on the other hand... were practically leaping on to the field with excitement.

• Like 2

Considered it, but simple visual things like that are a lot easier to not subject yourself to. Audio cheese is the worst, and unavoidable. Most of what I find cheesy is heard, not seen.

Fixed :)

Crown's show is very cheesy. I like it, but the cheese is undeniable.

• Direct sampling of hard rock music (We Will Rock You)
  • Sampled "I'm a Rach Star" segment
  • Electric guitar synthesizer patch
  • Synth strings
  • Flames on the drums
  • Cliche rock concert feel

All of that tops the cheese meter in my book.

Really?

so adding these things are cheesy? then does that make a large portion on the music entertainment industry cheesy as many do many of these same things?

The most exciting parts of crown's show to me are the Rach. If there was a lot more Rach and a lot less Roll, I think a LOT more people would be on board with them. What is exciting to an 8th grade band student, usually isn't exciting to the rest of the crowd.

Interesting. I've found it to be the complete opposite, as have the crowds at shows I've attended. If they cut a lot of the Rach, and added more rock, they'd grab even more of the audience than they already have. The Rach, particularly in the second half of the show, along with the Emerson (which they've sucked all the rock out of), is where they loose folks, though it's a lot better now with the new ending.

According to Websters, "cheese" is a condescending term used by drum corps snobs who think they define what is drum corps, to criticize any part of a drum corps show with which they do not like. If you do not agree with this narrow elitist view, then you are by definition, stupid, because you "don't know drum corps", according to them.

It is often used in conjunction with and is synonymous with "bando."

Honest, I looked it up.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

Really?

so adding these things are cheesy?

Yes.

then does that make a large portion on the music entertainment industry cheesy as many do many of these same things?

No. There is something called context. I love the sound of an electric guitar. When played by a rock band. Not a drum and bugle corps.

• Like 3

He/she isn't a little boy. He's a band director, with tons of band kids who love crown's show. I'd be curious how he teaches "context" in music. Seems to have a hard time with that in both a musical sense, and with the written language.

Why do you hate everything that has to do with Band....? DCI is basically marching band on STEROIDS - the woodwinds.

• Like 1