Where's the cheese?

Just starting their show singing "We Will, We Will Rock you" is embarrassing...sounds like

a bunch of fans at a football game...please

DCI would love to have the same numbers in their audience as " a bunch of fans at ( Division 2 ) football game ".

Crown, in my opinion, is to be given credit for bringing into the fold, a musical genre ( Rock Music ) that has not been attempted in a show theme by a Corps in a very, very long time.

Don't get me wrong, I like much of the music of dead composers from 50-400 years ago as much as the next person. Its just that I want to hear a few more songs played thats' written by someone thats' still alive and thats' sold more than 150 copies worldwide, you know ? If Corps played a few more " popular songs " as opposed to " unpopular songs ", we just might be able to fill the 10-15 yard lines on the concert side of the football stands once again at most DCI shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

DCI would love to have the same numbers in their audience as " a bunch of fans at ( Division 2 ) football game ".

Crown, in my opinion, is to be given credit for bringing into the fold, a musical genre ( Rock Music ) that has not been attempted in a show theme by a Corps in a very, very long time.

Don't get me wrong, I like much of the music of dead composers from 50-400 years ago as much as the next person. Its just that I want to hear a few more songs played thats' written by someone thats' still alive and thats' sold more than 150 copies worldwide, you know ? If Corps played a few more " popular songs " as opposed to " unpopular songs ", we just might be able to fill the 10-15 yard lines on the concert side of the football stands once again at most DCI shows.

Yes.

• Like 1

In my opinion, cheese doesn't bang you over the head. Crown's show is in your face. It's 150 young adults giving the audience Crown's version of a rock and Rach show. It's honest. The cheese I have in mind are the things that are added to blatantly appeal to the audience's emotions. My idea of cheese takes place in the Madison Scout's show. I love their show and appreciate that it is an attempt to honor a horrendous event in a respectful way. However, the addition of the tinny sounding sirens is what I have in mind when I consider whether something is cheesy. We know there were sirens that day. Lots and lots of sirens. I don't need to be reminded of that fact by what I consider a superfluous sound effect. I know I sound really picky but I don't think that effect adds anything to the strong emotions this show is trying to evoke.

• Like 2

Given a choice between being obviously pandered too, with lots of " cheese " in a show... OR.... being given a show built around a confused and convoluted theme with atonal musical notes that sounds like 2 dozen monkeys let loose in a school's music room at night, I will always choose the former over the latter.

I dig Crown's musical version of " Paint in Black " composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

If thats " cheese ", then all I need is a good aged bottle of fine wine from the same year 1966 to go with it, and my musical palate is fulfilled for the moment.

Edited by BRASSO

Id like some wine with my cheese!

Id like some wine with my cheese!

Wine comes from grapes.

" Sour grapes " comes from someplace else altogether.

Edited by BRASSO

this thread is going downhill fast.

if somebody wants to try to open a less inflammatory thread (a better title would help), feel free. please keep personal insults out of it, though, as they're against our rules.

a few users are on thin ice, so i'll suggest being civil in hopes that suspensions won't be necessary.

thanks.

• Like 1