Pacific Crest

I saw PC for the first time this season at Bellflower this past Sunday. I was very impressed. The show design has matured drastically, from 2 years ago, and even taken a great leap from last year.

Every section of the corps has improved, notably the guard. Tip of the hat goes to Steven Estudio for writing some killer drill; they actually make shapes! (opposed to shapeless contrary motion which can be boring to watch). The brass march and play well; I don't remember any ensemble phasing.

While it is possible that their score was inflated due to performing after a slew of Open class corps, I think it was a deserved jump in numbers.

I am highly anticipating their coming shows with fellow world classers, I think they will be in the hunt for some prime real estate.

I had the same opinion after seeing PC a few weeks ago. This is the best PC show that I can remember. If they can clean up, they should make Top-17, which will be a HUGE feat this season.

At least these groups all go to the 3 big regional competitions before finals now. I remember when PC only toured the last week and a half to save money and survive. When we got more financially stable, we toured 4 weeks in 07 and 3 1/2 weeks in 2008 and 2009 and then in 2010 they toured the last four weeks of the season with academy, mandarins and cascades. I see them slowly moving towards a full tour I think but it may be a few more seasons if it does end up happening.

Again, the 2011 tour of Pacific Crest (or Mandarins, or Academy) is a "full tour" by DCI's definition.

Doesnt this happen every year? The top WC corps leave the west coast, the remaining corps scores rise with no cap on their scores from above. They hit major competition, and their scores drop again.

• Like 1

Doesnt this happen every year? The top WC corps leave the west coast, the remaining corps scores rise with no cap on their scores from above. They hit major competition, and their scores drop again.

It does and it is not west coast centric. Scores spread out at smaller shows and compress when you add corps. It happens al over the country but is really evident in the west when BD and SCV leave for the summer.

I did two stupid things when posting...

1) i confused PC with Jersey Surf...not by their ability just their names. I musta been tired or something...these two corps are very different.

2) I based the big jump on a show of open class corps and one world class. Sure they have gotten better but the score was inflated due to the open class corps going first.

• Like 1