Pacific Crest

Pacific Creast seems to have been in control of the emergence of their corps over the years. Never overextending their financial capability, or travel parameters just to be involved. Perhaps the time has come to make their move. The nucleas of an emerging organization was there last year, and perhaps now with some enhancement they will be a new dog in the race for the 14th-15th spot.

Was very impressed with PC when I saw them last month. Wish I was going to have the chance to see them live again.

I'm curious, though. Why is PC (and Mandarins, as well) not getting attacked for their touring mode (which I whole-heartedly agree with) yet The Academy has an entire thread devoted to slamming them for doing the same thing. Can someone explain that to me? It baffles me every year and I just don't get it.

• Like 2

I'm curious, though. Why is PC (and Mandarins, as well) not getting attacked for their touring mode (which I whole-heartedly agree with) yet The Academy has an entire thread devoted to slamming them for doing the same thing. Can someone explain that to me? It baffles me every year and I just don't get it.

I'm going to assume it's because Academy is the current up-and-comer in the 13th-17th place set, and a lot of people have them in mind as a finals contender this year (last year too, IIRC), and so maybe they feel a top-15 corps should do a full tour? And maybe if PC threatens for 14th place or so this year people will start talking about them in the same way. Just a wild speculation.

I agree with you that I much prefer the corps to stay local until the last 2-4 weeks if that is what they need to do financially, even if they are a top-12 group. PC in particular is making a smart move by jumping in on the well-established California OC tour shows. They get show experience, increase the draw for those shows, and look good in the process--ie the crowd will leave being much more impressed by PC after seeing six OC corps than they would if PC had gone on first in a mostly top-12 lineup.

GO CREST!

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

I'm going to assume it's because Academy is the current up-and-comer in the 13th-17th place set, and a lot of people have them in mind as a finals contender this year (last year too, IIRC), and so maybe they feel a top-15 corps should do a full tour? And maybe if PC threatens for 14th place or so this year people will start talking about them in the same way. Just a wild speculation.

I agree with you that I much prefer the corps to stay local until the last 2-4 weeks if that is what they need to do financially, even if they are a top-12 group. PC in particular is making a smart move by jumping in on the well-established California OC tour shows. They get show experience, increase the draw for those shows, and look good in the process--ie the crowd will leave being much more impressed by PC after seeing six OC corps than they would if PC had gone on first in a mostly top-12 lineup.

GO CREST!

I'd agree with you except The Academy has been slammed since day one. It's not a recent trend. And don't forget, they were a finals contender in '07. In fact, there are quite a few who think they should have made finals that year.

I saw PC for the first time this season at Bellflower this past Sunday. I was very impressed. The show design has matured drastically, from 2 years ago, and even taken a great leap from last year.

Every section of the corps has improved, notably the guard. Tip of the hat goes to Steven Estudio for writing some killer drill; they actually make shapes! (opposed to shapeless contrary motion which can be boring to watch). The brass march and play well; I don't remember any ensemble phasing.

While it is possible that their score was inflated due to performing after a slew of Open class corps, I think it was a deserved jump in numbers.

I am highly anticipating their coming shows with fellow world classers, I think they will be in the hunt for some prime real estate.

• Like 2

Was very impressed with PC when I saw them last month. Wish I was going to have the chance to see them live again.

My gut tells me that it is due to The Academy"s relative success compared to the other corps mentioned. I think that in a very short amount of time The Academy has become perceived as a bigger threat to grab the coveted 12th spot for finals from one of the "traditional" contenders and therefore receive more flak (something to be expected when you are a new kid on the block who has the potential to shake up the current pecking order, I guess).. Were PC or Mandarins more consistantly challenging to make finals, I'm sure they would be getting the same criticism.

Actually, it is not speculation. Pacific Crest has gone through similar online pitchfork brigades when they were a threat to other top 12 contenders.

• Like 1

Ya, every corps that doesn't do a "full tour" gets slammed, Pacific Crest absolutely included. I agree with the above post that Academy may be getting more heat just because they're vying for a pretty high spot this year. What PC does works for them, just like it does for Academy, Mandarins and any other corps that stays close to home for a greater chunk of the season. Personally, I think it's nice that SoCal gets to at least see one World Class corps after June, so good job PC for giving this part of the country that to look forward to each year.

They were attacked a few years ago.

I don't see the reasoning behind "attacking" these groups. I mean, so what if someone that doesn't do a full tour makes finals? Is it the end of the world? No! All it means is that the corps that aren't touring all of the summer are better at utilizing their time in order to score better and get to those hard to reach spots that only 12 groups are allowed to be in. At least these groups all go to the 3 big regional competitions before finals now. I remember when PC only toured the last week and a half to save money and survive. When we got more financially stable, we toured 4 weeks in 07 and 3 1/2 weeks in 2008 and 2009 and then in 2010 they toured the last four weeks of the season with academy, mandarins and cascades. I see them slowly moving towards a full tour I think but it may be a few more seasons if it does end up happening.

But go PC!!!!