Cavaliers so called "gimmicks".

I love the Cavies show as it is right now but wonder what else they are going to do to keep 'getting better'!

Usually corps don't bring out the 'gimmicks' until after Atlanta's show or maybe Allentown, so other corps don't have the chance to out gimmick them.

Look back at maybe the last 25 years or so of drum corps finals, the majority of winning or close to winning corps have come up with one last eye catching visual gimmick to take them over the top to the win.

Does the Cavies have more to come?

How about Cadets, Blue Devils or Crown?

...and Phantom is lurking........

I am all for gimmicks as long as doing them don't change the flow of the show in a bad way (having to stop to set one up or stop to recover from what ever the set up was).

GO GIMMICKS!!!!

By additions that does not necessarily mean "gimmicks" sometimes it is clarification of an idea musically or visually to make it all more cohesive and more times than not with most corps it is a bigger more convincing ending that brings the whole thing together. We will see, I am sure all the corps have additions to make.

cavies are amazing this year. nobody who likes phantom 08/madison 95/crown 07, 11 should be using the words "cheesy" or "gimmicky" in a negative fashion for anything the cavies are doing this year...not if they want to be taken seriously.

For the win.

Agreed!! You can even include any SCV show from the 80's. Changing pants, magic tricks... I mean, this is what happens every year. Someone does something unique and "cool" and people are always split between referring to these things as either "gimmicks" or something "cool" that enhances the show.

Nothing wrong with more than a little bit of flair and elegant presentation.

I compare this to restaurants...

Good restaurants focus on service and the quality of the food.

Great restaurants add to that quality a layer of presentation and flair.

Poor restaurants think they can slide by presentation and flair and forget the meat.

Cavaliers execute at a level where they are great and there's more than enough meat... may not be seasoned to everyone's taste... but there's no disputing the quality, and the flair is more garnish than gimmick.

• Like 5

This is scary. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet and this STILL made perfect sense! How'd you do that? :blink:

It's a gift. :shutup::cool:

I have no problem with the Regiment leg kick, company fronts, yadda yadda yadda. About the only thing that drives me nuts are the slide whistle to indicate "whimsical" and seemingly nonstop use of windchimes for quiet moments.

Mike

I look at it this way, if the show were 12 minutes of "gimmicks" than I would be the loudest voice against them. However Cavies are doing like 10 minutes of high difficulty stuff and executing greatly and maybe 2 minutes of "gimmicks" that make the show that much better because the crowd eats them up. I personally like Cavies show this year....I like Crowns show more, but Cavies are that 1 point better right now and I dont see a problem with that

Well, having the key to Home Depot is making it interesting this year. If anything these guys are going to be GREAT at being able to fix drywall ceilings! I think it's a win win. Learn a skill AND do a show! :)