new to DCA

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but I thought I'd follow up...

Had an awesome time at my first DCA championship. Everyone was nice, and it was so SO fantastic to see and hear all-acoustic in your face drumcorps again -- first time in how many years now?

I enjoyed everything, if I had to list the most memorable moments, then:

- Minnesota Brass, wow! The best drumcorps show and performance I've seen in several years, period!

- Empire Statesmen, haven't seen such an extreme high energy hyped show since... hmmm, maybe ever?

- Caballeros Alumni, now THAT is drumcorps! I could watch them over and over.

- Caballeros Sr. - best guard uniforms of the night.

- I loved how so many of the drum majors addressed the crowd.

- Bridgemen, loved the donuts as distraction for the policeman. :)

- Retreat - when they announced Tampa Bay and the first thunder clap hit as if on cue.

- Dinosaur ribs... but it was the spicy catfish and cajun corn that I'll never forget.

It was great seeing everyone appreciating the effort all corps were putting in to entertain the crowd. DCI has become so dour, this was really fun. I'll be back.

Noticed Sunday that Bridgemen weren't "plugged in" - somewhat surprising I noticed anything since I was so busy at the time. Anyway Scott, glad you enjoyed your trip and the shows! It will be quite a few more years until DCA loses its "all acoustic" quality. As some in the know on here noted, electronics has never gone to the floor of the Rules Congress.

Edited by K2SMA

Noticed Sunday that Bridgemen weren't "plugged in" - somewhat surprising I noticed anything since I was so busy at the time. Anyway Scott, glad you enjoyed your trip and the shows! It will be quite a few more years until DCA loses its "all acoustic" quality. As some in the know on here noted, electronics has never gone to the floor of the Rules Congress.

Cadets2 are not there yet. Just wait.

While I totally Agee with the OP here I hate to break it to him but many on DCP have stated that electronics is being supported by many of the corps that have a vote. It's probably just a matter of a few years before DCA sees electronics . they have already pretty much across the board gone to marching band instruments with only a couple of hold outs. Enjoy it while you can.

Factually incorrect. I have yet to read, from an official of any corps, how they stand on the electronics issue.

Just because Member A, posts THEIR opinion on it, does not equate how the corps itself stands on the issue and how they will vote.

When Bridgemen first returned to the field they did have amps. 3 pit people vs 75ish horns and a whopper battery didn't cut it. Their pit has grown well. Fits the size of the marching corps much better now. :smile:

I am not a fan of electronics but do understand why some groups use them. There aren't rules dictating what an alumni corps can and can't use. I really wish the griping about their previous use of amps would stop.

• Like 2

Oh, and the funniest quote I heard: The guy sitting next to me said he stopped going to DCI shows about 5 years ago, when DCI had become "navel gazing".

Dare ya to put that in a DCI side thread... :devil:

Then we could take bets on who flames you first....

And when the first comparision between size of DCI and DCA member navels/stomachs makes an appearance.

• Like 1

When Bridgemen first returned to the field they did have amps. 3 pit people vs 75ish horns and a whopper battery didn't cut it. Their pit has grown well. Fits the size of the marching corps much better now. :smile:

I am not a fan of electronics but do understand why some groups use them. There aren't rules dictating what an alumni corps can and can't use. I really wish the griping about their previous use of amps would stop.

Empire used an electric base at RCAs back in the 80s, I think.

I have a video where Dick Robilloto[sp] kept holding his clipboard up to cover his ears every time he crossed in front of the amp...

Heh...