** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

I'll answer your question with a question.

While you claim the NE corps should travel to prove they want growth, I'll ask you why they should travel? I mean...gasp...is a name really going to draw more fans in in an area where DCA in general is unkown?

In the case of shows in the mid-west it would help to boost the lineup for the show and help to sell tickets to those people who want to see more than three corps.

Look at the NC show. CVand Gold were there, as was Heatwave. Hurcs, Bucs and Bush came down.

You had 3 major players from the NE there. You were not going to draw a lot of walkup interest in an area where there is no corps at $40 a ticket. They were charging less for the monster truck rally across the street that sold out.

The venue was the problem. It should have never been scheduled in such a huge stadium or at premium prices. A local college or small university would have done just fine and saved everyone money as well.

so, by having those 3 corps, in an area DCA and really DCI isn't a hot bed in, how would they draw?

Fans in the upper midwest know MBI, Govies, Kilties etc. Are they drawing 5000 fans to their shows yet?

no. it takes time.

C'mon, Jeff. Are you seriously going to try and get me to believe there are 5000 fans attending every NE drum corps show throughout the entire season?

Sorry, not buying that one.

No one forced MBI to come in. Theywanted to, Lewisburg gladly took them in. Same with Scranton in the past. my first year I traveled to Chicago along with Steel City. we had more people on the field than there were in the stands.

Now tell me, playing to 100 people, how does thatmake DCA look? Not good. Think on that

NE DCA corps and shows are dying, Jeff. It's a fact. It's either expansion or demise.

Which do you prefer?

Rice

What does this statement have to do with getting the NE corps to travel outside of the NE region in order to help with the growth of DCA?

Rice

This is just a little samba, Built upon a single note

Other notes are bound to follow, But the root is still that note

Now this new one is the consequence, Of the one we've just been through

As I'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you

There's so many people who can talk and talk and talk and just say nothing, Or nearly nothing

I have used up all the scale I know, And at the end I've come to nothing, Or nearly no- thing

So I came back to my first note, As I must come back to you

I will pour into that one note, All the love I feel for you

Anyone who wants the whole show, Re mi fa sol la si do

He will find himself with no show, Better play the note you know

1. How many shows has DCA sponsored - period - in the past 10 years?

You seem to be under the impression that DCA sponsors all the NE shows during the season.

That's... not factual...

The question was, "How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years"?

The answer is none. Doesn't sound very proactive to me for an organization that wants to grow on a national scale.

You're right, sorry. I'll be more specific:

Outside of DCA Weekend, none have occurred - anywhere.

(Of course, that also includes the NE!)

But it has nothing to do with trying to be proactive or not.

DCA simply has no money.

As I'm sure you know, there's a huge difference between sanctioning a show and sponsoring one.

2. NE shows usually have NE corps in them.

SE shows usually have SE corps, same with Midwest shows, California shows, etc.

What's your point?

If the NE corps are interested in seeing DCA grow as they say they are, why can't they travel, Diceman? The other corps do. It makes their words sound kind of like lip service to me.

Please re-read my response (#3) below.

3. NE corps would LOVE to go to more shows (more paydays), but they simply can't afford the travel costs.

Do you really think NE corps are better off financially than corps in other areas?

That's what most people from back there would like me to believe. LOL

You can LOL all you want - but it doesn't change the facts.

Unless, of course, you have evidence to the contrary?

If so, please provide it. I'll be more than happy to change my position.

In the meantime, I contend that NE corps are no better off financially than corps anywhere else.

And it isn't any cheaper to travel from Ct to Ga than it is to travel from Ga to Ct.

Why do *you* think the NE recently lost so many?

Poor managment decisions would be my first guess.

You'd be wrong...

Finances were the #1 cause.

(Although Mgt decisions certainly may have negatively affected the financial situation.)

Look at Brigs, as just one example. They went from Best to Gone shortly after their Bingo money dried up...

It all comes down to what Kamarag spewed: "The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show."

Yeah, real nice attitude towards those poeple you are trying so hard to help, Kamarag!

Rice

1. Kamarag does not represent DCA in any official capacity, nor is his opinion "what it all comes down to".

This is just too complex an issue to be handled with one simple answer.

(Just my opinion, of course...)

2. Everyone, including you, is entitled to his opinion - and each deserves the same respect.

All that's asked is that one back up/defend their claims, be open-minded enough to read and consider opposing opinions and rebuttals - and not get so frustrated that one uses words like "spew".

Seems simple enough...

(Shrug)

DCA has made GIANT strides in branding and marketing its product in the last few years, and this forums is another method of doing so..but it's only part of the project. Regardless of who has the title, it behooves one or more of the established "name" DCA corps that remain to give consideration to a trip to a show outside the NE on some kind of basis that will help to SELL the product in those new markets. I'm not saying that anyone should put themselves in any amount of financial staits or risks in order to do it, just that put some heads together to see about having a show in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida or one of any number of venues in the Midwest.

Pat

This is spot on and exactly what I've been trying convey!

Thank you for posting it.

Rice

You're right, sorry. I'll be more specific:

Outside of DCA Weekend, none have occurred - anywhere.

(Of course, that also includes the NE!)

But it has nothing to do with trying to be proactive or not.

DCA simply has no money.

As I'm sure you know, there's a huge difference between sanctioning a show and sponsoring one.

Please re-read my response (#3) below.

You can LOL all you want - but it doesn't change the facts.

Unless, of course, you have evidence to the contrary?

If so, please provide it. I'll be more than happy to change my position.

In the meantime, I contend that NE corps are no better off financially than corps anywhere else.

And it isn't any cheaper to travel from Ct to Ga than it is to travel from Ga to Ct.

You'd be wrong...

Finances were the #1 cause.

(Although Mgt decisions certainly may have negatively affected the financial situation.)

Look at Brigs, as just one example. They went from Best to Gone shortly after their Bingo money dried up...

1. Kamarag does not represent DCA in any official capacity, nor is his opinion "what it all comes down to".

This is just too complex an issue to be handled with one simple answer.

(Just my opinion, of course...)

2. Everyone, including you, is entitled to his opinion - and each deserves the same respect.

All that's asked is that one back up/defend their claims, be open-minded enough to read and consider opposing opinions and rebuttals - and not get so frustrated that one uses words like "spew".

Seems simple enough...

(Shrug)

Thanks for the reply, Diceman.

Yes, I was frustrated. Still am. Probably always will be. I'm passionate about this activity. It frustrates me when people who in my opinion, talk out of both sides of their mouth about it.

Either you're for expansion and will do anything within your power to help accomplish it or you're against it.

Claiming you're for expansion but won't spend a dime to help see it become a reality doesn't make sense either and it's hypocritical to say the very least.

Rice

Edited by rwrice

If the NE corps are "on the same page" and truly interested in growing the organization as you say they are, then why don't those corps travel to shows outside of the NE region to help grow DCA on a national scale?

You know, like they expect everyone else to do....................................? :rolleyes:

Rice

You assume all the DCA Corps want to grow the circuit on a national scale?.

It is safe to say all the corps want

to see the REGIONS grow first, Then maybe they can look at a "national" organization, though in my opinion the "weekend only" concept will not allow for this to truly happen the way many on here wish it would happen.

Jay

to see the REGIONS grow first, Then maybe they can look at a "national" organization

Home run. Strong regions would be a great thing.

This is just a little samba, Built upon a single note

Other notes are bound to follow, But the root is still that note

Now this new one is the consequence, Of the one we've just been through

As I'm bound to be the unavoidable consequence of you

There's so many people who can talk and talk and talk and just say nothing, Or nearly nothing

I have used up all the scale I know, And at the end I've come to nothing, Or nearly no- thing

So I came back to my first note, As I must come back to you

I will pour into that one note, All the love I feel for you

Anyone who wants the whole show, Re mi fa sol la si do

He will find himself with no show, Better play the note you know

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Waiting for Gary M.'s commentary....

to see the REGIONS grow first, Then maybe they can look at a "national" organization, though in my opinion the "weekend only" concept will not allow for this to truly happen the way many on here wish it would happen.

Jay

.. and that's the rub...

No matter how much the DCA Organization would like to do, they're pretty much powerless due to lack of funds.

They just can't afford the infrastructure necessary to go National.

About the only "fund raiser" they have is DCA Weekend. And even then, after covering their expenses they split the rest of the proceeds with the member corps.

It's pretty much a zero sum game...

This isn't a senior version of DCI (even though it's older). It's more like a small volunteer organization, doing the best they can with the little they have.

• Like 1