Greedy, Inhospitable Van Buren, Arkansas

I don't know...If they had the ca hones to post the rule, I can see them trying to enforce it.

Nothing was posted. My ticket stub did not say "no-reentry". Almost every high school stadium has a no-reentry policy for their Friday night high school games, so almost every high school stadium has a permanent no-reentry sign by the entrance, as did Van Buren. But in the decades of attending high school marching band contests and DCI events at those high school stadiums, I've never seen a no-reentry policy enforced. So there was NO fair warning at Van Buren. They should have had a sign at the ticket table and at the entrance that clearly said, "DCI GUESTS: NO REENTRY". They have to make the $ any way they can I guess.

Nothing was posted. My ticket stub did not say "no-reentry". Almost every high school stadium has a no-reentry policy for their Friday night high school games, so almost every high school stadium has a permanent no-reentry sign by the entrance, as did Van Buren. But in the decades of attending high school marching band contests and DCI events at those high school stadiums, I've never seen a no-reentry policy enforced. So there was NO fair warning at Van Buren. They should have had a sign at the ticket table and at the entrance that clearly said, "DCI GUESTS: NO REENTRY". They have to make the $ any way they can I guess.

But other than that (and that's not small) did you enjoy the show? Would you go back?

Maybe make a call next year to the sponsor and ask before you leave the house.

If it's a rule, I'd probably not go either just on principal grounds. But I'd be sure to let the show director know why.

I would think that DCI (who's renting the facility) would have control over the re-entry policy. Sounds like no one explicitly made that policy clear to the folks running the gate and they defaulted to policy for HS events. Communication failure somewhere along the line.

Edited by corpsband

But other than that (and that's not small) did you enjoy the show? Would you go back?

I did not enjoy the show after intermission. Not only was I uncomfortable because I needed another chair cushion and my Advil, I was totally p.o.'ed and disgusted. As a matter of principle I wasn't going to pay for another ticket plus the $3 DCI surcharge just to get something out of my car because I had already paid $25 for my ticket plus a $3 DCI surcharge. I put $ in the corps' gas cans instead. No, I won't go back to Van Buren. I'll continue to go to the Broken Arrow, OK show where they treat their guests with hospitality and respect.

Sounds like no one explicitly made that policy clear to the folks running the gate and they defaulted to policy for HS events. Communication failure somewhere along the line.

They claimed specifically that it was DCI policy and they did not have a choice but to enforce it. Come to find out that was a lie.

Edited by jkingqm

They gave us wristbands and told us to hold on to the ticket stub at DCI Minnesota if we need to go in and out... and this was a huge show, so I find it hard to believe that this policy has anything to do with DCI.

They claimed specifically that it was DCI policy and they did not have a choice but to enforce it. Come to find out that was a lie.

Or at least confusion. If you think about it -- the local staff doesn't really have a motivation to lie -- they were enforcing what they believed to be proper policy. You'd think that the show coordinator at the site woud know proper DCI policy. Did DCI say they'd look into the issue for you? Hate to have the same issue repeat itself at other sites because someone was just mis-informed...

• Like 1

Or at least confusion. ... Did DCI say they'd look into the issue for you?

They weren't confused. They were very certain they were going to make me pay to get back in. ;-) I politely told them that I was sure that there was some confusion and that there was no DCI no-reentry policy, and asked if I could go to my car to get a cushion and some Advil to be more comfortable after my long drive. They wanted their $. In their quick and courteous email reply to me, DCI said they would contact the local chair whoever that is.

They weren't confused. They were very certain they were going to make me pay to get back in. ;-) I politely told them that I was sure that there was some confusion and that there was no DCI no-reentry policy, and asked if I could go to my car to get a cushion and some Advil to be more comfortable after my long drive. They wanted their $. In their quick and courteous email reply to me, DCI said they would contact the local chair whoever that is.

hopefully it's just an isolated event and that individual will be "educated" about (a) DCI policy (b) customer service.