Greedy, Inhospitable Van Buren, Arkansas

If you think about it -- the local staff doesn't really have a motivation to lie --

Yes they do. The motivation is $. If you keep people hostage inside they might buy more concessions. If they do need to leave you will get double ticket sales from them when they have to pay to get back in.

I can remember when if you had to leave the stadium during a show for whatever reason they would just stamp the back of your hand with semi-indelible ink so you could get back in. My how times have changed.

I have personally emailed DCI on several issues in the past and never even got a reply back. I've since given up making any requests to them as all of them have fallen on deaf ears. This is just my own experience and I cannot say anything about others.

Earlier this spring, I had occasion to order tickets for a local DCI show that I have been going to for over 15 years. I was rather annoyed that this show has now gotten to the point that for seating between the 45's, it would have cost me $50 per seat-for a LOCAL show! I e-mailed one of the contacts from the show sponsor with my concerns. I received not only an e-mail in reply, but he asked for my phone number so he could personally call me to discuss my concerns. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE. In the end, I understand their position a little better and despite the high ticket price, will probably continue to patronize that show in the future. If I were in the same situation, I probably would have asked to speak to a supervisor right on up to the top until I got some satisfaction-denying a person access to medication (Advil) leaves the sponsoring organization open to all sorts of potential lawsuits. Now that it's "after the fact", write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper that serves Van Buren describing their behavior, and be sure to prominently mention the show sponsor, so that the local community is aware of how they choose to run their fundraising events.

I probably would have asked to speak to a supervisor right on up to the top until I got some satisfaction

By the time I spoke with three more event staff, I said two earlier, but I spoke with three more, it was time to go back to my seat. It still amazes me how each one claimed it was "DCI policy" like they had been coached to say that as if anticipating problems. I was told the guy to talk to was the guy guarding the gate and he had already said I had to pay to get back in if I left. There is only so much time during intermission.

By the time I spoke with three more event staff, I said two earlier, but I spoke with three more, it was time to go back to my seat. It still amazes me how each one claimed it was "DCI policy" like they had been coached to say that as if anticipating problems. I was told the guy to talk to was the guy guarding the gate and he had already said I had to pay to get back in if I left. There is only so much time during intermission.

I'm sure a lot of us have taken our turns volunteering at various events. I know that way I do it - just tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it. So, is is possible that you had one person, the volunteer coordinator, well meaning but misguided, who briefed the volunteers beforehand, and one of the items discussed was the "no re-entry" thing? That seems the most plausible situation to me anyway. I kinda find it hard to believe there was some sort of conspiracy going on. The volunteers were probably just trying to do what they were told to do.

I can remember when if you had to leave the stadium during a show for whatever reason they would just stamp the back of your hand with semi-indelible ink so you could get back in. My how times have changed.

That's how it still worked at the shows I saw this year--Glens Falls, Quincy, Lynn, Bristol. Actually, at Lynn I think they didn't even stamp but just said to hold onto my half of the ticket stub.

Have you talked to the people responsible for the show first instead of coming on here complaining about it?

Have you bothered to read this entire thread before becoming snarky with the OP?

It's not a snarky response sensitive person. It's an honest question so calm down.

Have you bothered to read this entire thread before becoming snarky with the OP?

Thank you TwoValves. I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps this thread will raise awareness so this won't happen at other shows. As DCI said, they want to encourage the social aspects of attending a show, so being allowed to leave the stadium to listen to warm-ups, etc should be allowed.