Synthesized Apocolypse

Somebody posted a "wisecrack" idea on another thread and I thought I'd break it out into a new thread because while it's a bit hyperbolic (for now), isn't it the ultimate conclusion to what has been started by allowing synths?

Perhaps we could just have the corps do a studio recording, mix the perfect balance in the studio, then just blast that out the speakers as they march.

I know this was a wisecrack, but what if a corps actually did something like that? Okay...maybe they wouldn't ever actually record their entire show, but how long will it be until they record different parts of their show to "overlay" on the parts being played with the use of a keyboard? Perhaps they are doing an obscenely difficult drill and playing at the same time and they need to "supplement" the sound to cover their feet.

Really...how far out is this?

Somebody posted a "wisecrack" idea on another thread and I thought I'd break it out into a new thread because while it's a bit hyperbolic (for now), isn't it the ultimate conclusion to what has been started by allowing synths?

I know this was a wisecrack, but what if a corps actually did something like that? Okay...maybe they wouldn't ever actually record their entire show, but how long will it be until they record different parts of their show to "overlay" on the parts being played with the use of a keyboard? Perhaps they are doing an obscenely difficult drill and playing at the same time and they need to "supplement" the sound to cover their feet.

:sarcasm:

Why not just record the whole show, and just have the guard and sound people show up at the show? Kids wouldn't have to take an entire summer off; the corps could get rid of probably 3 buses, and several equipment trucks because you wouldn't need to cart around instruments; think of the savings on food and fuel!; you would eliminate most judges at the show because after the music judges did their thing at the beginning of the season, those scores would NEVER change...come to think of it, why don't we just have all the corps just record one performance, and anybody that wants to see it can just subscribe to FN and watch it as much as they want-that eliminates ALL the travel and everything and think of the money we'll save by not having to keep buying tickets all summer!

:sarcasm:

Why not just record the whole show, and just have the guard and sound people show up at the show? Kids wouldn't have to take an entire summer off; the corps could get rid of probably 3 buses, and several equipment trucks because you wouldn't need to cart around instruments; think of the savings on food and fuel!; you would eliminate most judges at the show because after the music judges did their thing at the beginning of the season, those scores would NEVER change...come to think of it, why don't we just have all the corps just record one performance, and anybody that wants to see it can just subscribe to FN and watch it as much as they want-that eliminates ALL the travel and everything and think of the money we'll save by not having to keep buying tickets all summer!

This is the kind of post I LOVE! Thanks for posting it because it gave me a laugh.

• Like 1

designers will just submit their Pyware and Sibelius files to the board and declare a winner

sell limited edition ‘members jackets', collect sponsorship money, re-sell the shows to bands and off 3-d DVD for the real drum corps experience

Often, I feel the only point of drum corps is to shill for the band market and stuff the staff’s pockets, feed their egos

It’s really turned me off of public music education watching this kids as cash cow money grab

Strikes me the same as those for profit, non-accredited Nu-colleges.

student loans are for tour fees

designers will just submit their Pyware and Sibelius files to the board and declare a winner

sell limited edition ‘members jackets', collect sponsorship money, re-sell the shows to bands and off 3-d DVD for the real drum corps experience

Often, I feel the only point of drum corps is to shill for the band market and stuff the staff’s pockets, feed their egos

It’s really turned me off of public music education watching this kids as cash cow money grab

stuff the staff's pockets? bahaha you must not know how much they make compared to the time they put in....

As I often say, DCI is nothing but a moving billboard.

stuff the staff's pockets? bahaha you must not know how much they make compared to the time they put in....

Not much from the corps but how much does their rank as a staff member get them in money from doing band work ?

You totally missed the point IMHO.

I don't think there is anything stopping any corps, legally, from doing this... other than their potential brass score.

Now auto-tune... that could have some potential. :-)

• Like 1

I think someone's eventually going to try a grounded musical ensemble and a large field drill team. (Not like HS drill team, more like a combination of old-school guard doing the marching with a new school dance guard in addition.)

Mike

Not much from the corps but how much does their rank as a staff member get them in money from doing band work ?

You totally missed the point IMHO.

In the end, they are all music educators. Pay is not why they do it (i would assume).