Synthesized Apocolypse

What an ignorant statement. There are plenty of "real musicians" that play an many kinds of outdoor venues each and every day.

Like the Boston Pops and Tanglewood...

.. or this guy...

paper-bag_guitarist_medium_01.jpg

Actually, one of my most favourite recordings ever was recorded outside.... it was Bernstein conducting BSO at Tanglewood doing Beethoven's 7th.

It is unreal...

It was his last concert. He takes the 2nd movement so incredibly slow, but in a way that you feel something completely different.

How he usually takes it

Can't find a recording of it in the final concert... but you can find it here.

Again, unreal.

Like the Boston Pops and Tanglewood...

.. or this guy...

paper-bag_guitarist_medium_01.jpg

Actually, one of my most favourite recordings ever was recorded outside.... it was Bernstein conducting BSO at Tanglewood doing Beethoven's 7th.

It is unreal...

It was his last concert. He takes the 2nd movement so incredibly slow, but in a way that you feel something completely different.

How he usually takes it

Can't find a recording of it in the final concert... but you can find it here.

Again, unreal.

Now you're talking! This is my kind of music. I have both the Bernstein/BSO/Tanglewood (EDIT: just looked and I have the Grammophon of the Last.) and the Szell/Cleveland, both on Sony Classics. Amazing difference in style and expression between the two. (I also have the complete Beethoven symphonies with Szell/Cleveland on Grammophon. Simply stunning interpretation, IMO.)

I wonder, how many drum corps fans find this music (or so many other composers) boring, and is that why we don't hear more of it in DC?

Always wondered, knowing that I'm in a large minority who like big symphonies best.

Edited by garfield

Boring? You and I both know better, and I'm sure we have a lot of company here in DCPLand.

I don't know where this will all end up. I can't say I like how it's being used currently. There is such a thing as too much of anything.

A friend mine used to have an emulator. That thing was a blast to play with, but would violate the one keystroke rule.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor