Synthesized Apocolypse

As I often say, DCI is nothing but a moving billboard.

So what is the NFL. They are a billboard for Nike, gatorade...etc.

Every organization with a mass audience is a billboard. If you are not entertained, they are nothing but a billboard.

With all the hacking of cell phones in the news lately, how long before someone (maybe from another corps?) hacks into somebody's board and when it is supposed to give a really cool effect out comes flatulence. :devil:

• Like 2

Honestly, I think we'll hit a low point with over-used electronics in the next couple of years and then maybe it will begin to return to a more acoustic based art form.

With the legalization of amplification in 2004, narration was the big "new" design toy to play with. These are the "heavy use of amplified voice" shows by year:

Crown

BAC

Blue Devils

Cadets (light use)

Cadets

Blue Stars

Crossmen

Cadets

Crown (light use)

Bluecoats (light use)

Cadets

Bluecoats

no major "offenders"

no major "offenders"

no major "offenders"

Notice a trend here?

Hopefully electronics will run it's course the same way this did.

Edited by Tez

Pray tell they dont mic each individual brass instrument and mIx them on a soundboard only to be mixed ed and sent out a stadium feed. Better yet get auto tuners installed to make perfect pitch. Where will the madness end? Hell give each musician a electronic wind instrument and BAM ! Instant band!!!

Although it's true that there are no major offenders of amplified voice this year, there has been pretty heavy use of sampled voice among many corps. To me, that's almost worse because it doesn't even require an actual vocal performance. There is also an almost universal use of the cheesy synthesized "aaaaahhhhh" semi-vocal effect. Hmm, having been the the guy who originally penned the name "thunderous goo", I can't help but feel a responsibility to come up with a name for this one too... how about "electro-aaahhh" (?) How many corps use "electro-aaahhh" at least once during their show... nearly all of them?

Edited by scottgordon
  • Like 1

With the legalization of amplification in 2004, narration was the big "new" design toy to play with. These are the "heavy use of amplified voice" shows by year:

Crown

BAC

Blue Devils

Cadets (light use)

Cadets

Blue Stars

Crossmen

Cadets

Crown (light use)

Bluecoats (light use)

Cadets

Bluecoats

no major "offenders"

no major "offenders"

no major "offenders"

Notice a trend here?

Yes....you ignore all vocals from the most recent three seasons. Just a couple that come to mind:

Blue Devils pre-show (radio circa 1930)

Blue Stars FDR quotes

Cavaliers "Mad World", "this is my rifle", etc.

Spirit of Atlanta (time doesn't permit me to list them all)

Cascades

It need not be live voice anymore....but it is still "amplified voice".

Much more interesting than taking acoustic stuff and making it electronic, would be to take

and arrange for brass.

This link is the pinpoint example of why I hate most rock and roll.

The same 4 measures, 8 measures, over and over again.

Repulsive. If this comes to the drum corps field I'll leave it behind exactly like I did R&R.

Give me classical, jazz, big band, and swing any day of the week.

In the end, they are all music educators. Pay is not why they do it (i would assume).

I don't do it for money but I do know quite a few who have learned to sell themselves for a ransom, be it arranging, writting drill or working camps.

Yes....you ignore all vocals from the most recent three seasons. Just a couple that come to mind:

Blue Devils pre-show (radio circa 1930)

Blue Stars FDR quotes

Cavaliers "Mad World", "this is my rifle", etc.

Spirit of Atlanta (time doesn't permit me to list them all)

Cascades

It need not be live voice anymore....but it is still "amplified voice".

Yes, there has been much use of sampled voice in the past 3 years, but at least it has not been used to carry the "story" of a show, like Cadets 2007-2008, Crossmen 2006, or Blue Devils 2005.