Dallas - Drum Corps in Hades

I kind of feel like they are playing a bit of catch-up, still. Hopefully, they can clean and polish and make some moves on Troop and SOA. There's still time, right?

I feel like Academy would need to revamp their visual package to make it into finals this year. I think musically they play well, but they're lacking in the GE and vis captions and without rewrites it would be tough. There may not be time for all the rewrites they need. It's a shame because I really want to see them do well, they always seem to be just out of reach when august rolls around.

Just got back from the show. The crowd was the smallest I have EVER seen at this show. Normally its a full-house end zone to end zone but tonight maybe 50 percent full. Even between the 40's was pretty sparse. Several factors perhaps: the heat (105 at start), not the typical strong lineup as past years, a Monday night versus typical Thursday night show, and this show followed the Denton and San Antonio shows whereas in the past it preceded those shows. Unfortunately I'm sure the Lake Highlands Band Boosters will be feeling the drop of gate and concession revenue this year.

Overall it seemed the corps I saw lacked the energy they had on Saturday, again maybe the heat. Then again I didn't see but three of the corps as I spent a lot of time in the lot watching the SCV drumline do their thing. That was a great side show, several hundred people watching and cheering madly as SCV powered through their show music with full ensemble.

• Like 1

I feel like Academy would need to revamp their visual package to make it into finals this year. I think musically they play well, but they're lacking in the GE and vis captions and without rewrites it would be tough. There may not be time for all the rewrites they need. It's a shame because I really want to see them do well, they always seem to be just out of reach when august rolls around.

Agreed. I am not a fan of their drill this year. Some of the transitions and sets look extremely messy I feel from the way it was written. Looking at the corps march, they seem to have great technique and form. There just seems to be parts in their drill that make no sense visually and are hard to make look right. It just doesn't have much flow in my opinion. I love their music though thumbup.gif.

That's a disappointing score for the Academy. I'ts not looking like they will be in the top 12 this year...

CROSSMEN beat Academy in

TOTAL GE

TOTAL VISUAL

AND BRASS.

IF not for a ridiculous 2 point spread in ensemble music it would have been BONES tonight.

THEY ARE COMING>>>>>>>

• Like 1

Oh hey look....Jackie Gilley put cadets down in her caption to SCV...

Wow. Just wow. What she does to The Cadets is so obvious its offensive.

How DARE she call it like it is that night!

That's straight up Blasphemy! Who do they think they are putting cadets bellow SCV in anything?!?!

I BET THE JUDGES ARE OUT TO GET THEM.

• Like 5

How DARE she call it like it is that night!

That's straight up Blasphemy! Who do they think they are putting cadets bellow SCV in anything?!?!

I BET THE JUDGES ARE OUT TO GET THEM.

No, just that judge. She calls it like that. Every night. Regardless of caption. Its a pretty well documented feud. I realize all corps have unfavorable judges at times, but her history is a little more ridiculous, including her being out of judging for a while after some maverick moves she made in 2003 (not exactly sure on the details of that...)

No, just that judge. She calls it like that. Every night. Regardless of caption. Its a pretty well documented feud. I realize all corps have unfavorable judges at times, but her history is a little more ridiculous, including her being out of judging for a while after some maverick moves she made in 2003 (not exactly sure on the details of that...)

Are you saying that She who shall not be named has an evil twin?!?

• Like 1

Not to bash your statement, but this is very similar to the cavaliers Debbie situation.

A thread was started about that and someone said that we were all being too "sensitive"

some judges really do tend to let their bias get the best of them

Not to bash your statement, but this is very similar to the cavaliers Debbie situation.

A thread was started about that and someone said that we were all being too "sensitive"

some judges really do tend to let their bias get the best of them

As far as I know, Torchia has been harsh on numerous corps including the cadets AND the cavaliers, of course. From what i know of Gilley, she has something against not just the cadets, but hopkins and yea in general...so much so that she tanked not only cadets guard score at quarters in 2003 (they were 4 places higher, and in 1st the next night), but also crossmens (back when they were with yea). Again, I dont know they exact history, but from what i know, she was out of judging after that little incident. Like i said, every corps deals with judges that dont prefer their style, but it's unfortunate when something supposedly 'personal' gets in the way....