Why are they getting docked?

in recent years, ive watched many lots, and there hasnt been a book that has affected me (isnt that (one of)the goal of playing music?) like this in a long time (probably since 05 cadets). its just sad to see them not getting the credit they deserve.

• Like 3

Nope. Just another person blaming the judge for a corps finish, instead of correctly blaming the corps for their performance. If you haven't noticed, it's become rampant on DCP in the last few weeks.

There will always be people doing that. You should see how many people in the world disagree with films like "Titanic" and "Crash" being the best picture winners at the Oscars over films like "L.A. Confidential" or "Brokeback Mountain".

The sad truth is that there are corps' performances that are not as good as others, and fans will not agree with judgments. There will also be performances of groups that even the most intelligent of people will know could be the best, but judges won't say so. I've met judges who run their mouths (when they shouldn't) about how they purposely take advantage of their positions to dock groups for reasons other than their performances - you know it exists, and so do I.

Regardless of the trend for people (who know better or don't) to cry "UNFAIR" over calls, I'm willing to admit that sometimes there's an exception.

Knowing full well that Vanguard cannot win the Sanford this summer due to their placements, it will just be another historically controversial subject to join others (1993 Cadets beating Star, or the 2007 BD Drumline winning the Sanford over Coats, PR, and Cadets, etc, etc, etc). There will be people crying "Shenanigans!", and there will be people crying "Judges Don't Lie!" I'm not one to say it's impossible for foul play, because there's always room for it. It's life.

• Like 3

it looks like, knowing what I do about judging, they are performing the hell out of the book. The problem is, the book seems to require the same skill sets over and over, as opposed to a lot of variety in the skills shown.

I think the problem is the show hindersthem. It's avery 8th note/duple based show that does not allow as much variety in arrangment.

I think you're right. They wrote the drum book to match the show music, which I think is better than just writing a drum book to ram notes for 12 minutes. I'd like to see them score higher, but just having SCV's percussion be super-clean and great to listen to is a nice enough change from the last couple of years. :worthy: Maybe they'll put in some changes by Finals, but I'll be happy with their show, no matter how they end up placing. (although having the Sanford in the corps hall would be great)

• Like 3

I think you're right. They wrote the drum book to match the show music, which I think is better than just writing a drum book to ram notes for 12 minutes. I'd like to see them score higher, but just having SCV's percussion be super-clean and great to listen to is a nice enough change from the last couple of years. :worthy: Maybe they'll put in some changes by Finals, but I'll be happy with their show, no matter how they end up placing. (although having the Sanford in the corps hall would be great)

agreed. not many top 12 caption heads do that.

agreed. not many top 12 caption heads do that.

No, they can't. I think Rennick is really one of the best at writing a musical book, instead of just a book full of notes.

Edited by fsubone

in recent years, ive watched many lots, and there hasnt been a book that has affected me (isnt that (one of)the goal of playing music?) like this in a long time (probably since 05 cadets). its just sad to see them not getting the credit they deserve.

i would like to say that there is nothing sad about what the cadets are getting. The cadets and the toc corps are getting scores that they deserve. I would like to here some credit given to the remaining 17 corps in dci. Does anyone think that the 9 th thru 25th corps isnt deserving of some mention. Everytime I log on to DCI .org the cadets are mentioned. I dont want you to get the wrong idea the cadet kids work hard,but please stop whining.

From the recaps I've seen, it looks like they're winning on performance but the judges don't seem to like the book.

Front ensemble may also be a factor.

I think it would be hard for any front ensemble to better that of SCV. Those kids are amazing.

• Like 2