Length of time brass actually play?

Yes I counted any and all brass, solo etc. Cadets show is 1 min longer than Cavs show. I look at the time counter on the video so it said 12:48 but could be off a bit.

Thanks for the responses as I said I was curious. Maybe I can dig up a rule book via DCI.

This thread has surfaced again this year.

It should be interesting to see how much each corps' brass plays. Personally, I wouldn't count solo or small ensemble work towards the time that brass plays.

No limit on show length, especially with the pre-shows added in.

Actually, there is a time limit. The show proper must be under 11:30, and the pre-show is 5:00.

Which suggests another question. Should there be a minimum time? Why or why not?

I believe I just created a thread within a thread, but still in the same concept.

Garry in Vegas

No!

We can't have compulsories in drum corps!

Heresy!

Actually, there is a time limit. The show proper must be under 11:30, and the pre-show is 5:00.

Really? huh, I did not know that.... But I still think that 12:48 overall, with the pre-show, is still under the time limits

Really? huh, I did not know that.... But I still think that 12:48 overall, with the pre-show, is still under the time limits

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a91ec8a8-2a06-4034-ba1a-c35e836c5075

The Southwestern Championship was the first time this season that corps have been officially timed, with penalties assessed if a corps goes over the mark.

Hopkins says he was uptight during the performance as the Cadets clocked in at four minutes 57 seconds for the allotted five minutes of pre-show warm-up and at 11:25 for the 11:30 given for the competitive performance.

“We’ve got to fix that in the coming days,” said Hopkins. “We just keep adding stuff to the show, that’s our problem.”

If anyone knows Joe Allison, ask him to publish the numbers from his marching arts competitive performance research project (unless he has and I can't find it). He discussed his data collection methods in detail on the Marching Roundtable podcast. Basically he had assistants with stopwatches monitoring how much time each section played, marched, etc exactly in each drum corps show, and mapped soli versus tutti, marching and playing versus just marching or just playing, etc and he found some interesting results, but he wouldn't spill the beans on the podcast, but he did reveal that groups that spent more time with soli playing (ie the other sections get a break) and groups that spend less time marching and playing together get better scores, and that the marching and playing number was pretty directly inversely correlated to finals scores.

At least, that was how I remember the podcast. But it makes total sense. The fewer mistakes you make, the better your execution will be, and the less playing you do the better the playing you do will be.

If you take a look at the 70's brasslines' time actually played well, it was 0 minutes :ph34r: Oh wait, wrong thread :tongue:

Yeah....how could anyone be offended by that?

Those figures are in one of the DCI.org feature stories up now. (On San Antonio.) Mentioned that the Cadets were only 3 seconds inside the pre-show limit and 5 seconds inside the show limit. "Gotta fix that," Hopkins says.

On the broader topic, I guess I'm a little surprised that the Cadets/Cavies difference is only 30 seconds. Angels beating the tar out of the demons didn't take as long as I thought. :)

Edited by Tito John

Those figures are in one of the DCI.org feature stories up now. (On San Antonio.) Mentioned that the Cadets were only 3 seconds inside the pre-show limit and 5 seconds inside the show limit. "Gotta fix that," Hopkins says.

You'd think after several decades of going over time or close to it in the early season, he'd be used to this....