An electronics explanation for all the haters

And we never have heard those "water effects" yet. :ph34r:

Mike

last real water effect I heard was at DCA prelims in 2006.

in the middle of Hurricane Ernesto :tongue:

Revenues are down in pretty much every business the last few years (not my own, but I've been luckier than most).

Given that arts organizations who are as big or bigger than DCI also saw downturns in revenues since 2007, I think it's safe to say that change in rules has little to do with DCI's revenue decline in the last couple of years. This economy has laid waste to a number of businesses.

If anything, the move to Indy might have had a more direct effect on DCI's bottom line the last 3 years than the change that allowed corps to start sampling Enya, or whatever the ____ some of 'em are doing. After all, sampled sounds are a little annoying, but 'Indianapolis' is just native American for "yeah, this spot is kinda boring, but I'm tired; let's go ahead and set up camp."

BTW, since i haven't said it previously, props to the OP, who tried to inject some reality into a much discussed, little understood, aspect of drum corps daily life.

DCI has done surveys, and not just about finals.

2 main reasons...show content and electronics. That's what fans say is keeping them from coming back.

We were in a recession in the late 70's. My God gas hit a dollar a gallon in some places. Oh wait, we had how many fans in Denver? Never mind

• Like 1

BTW, since i haven't said it previously, props to the OP, who tried to inject some reality into a much discussed, little understood, aspect of drum corps daily life.

Thanks. Just being Sisyphus and pushing that boulder up again...I know the inevitable result, but am doomed to repeat my actions. At least it has inspired some discussion. Thanks everyone for all the comments, I appreciate even the harshest words sent my way. At least it shows we still have a hugely passionate community out there. More so than any other arts activity I'd say.

My parting words on this topic would be please support the activity and the members who work so hard for you and for themselves. Even if you don't like what's happening right now, at the end of the day those kids lives are being changed for the better. THEY are the stars of the show and possibly the future teachers/designers of drum corps. I think this activity is more about them than us. Give 'em some love, they deserve it. Sermon over, peace!

Edited by Audiophile

90% of drum corps fans do not like electronics, synths, & the like. DCI should listen to the fans & tell guys like George Hopkins to STFU.

DCI has done surveys, and not just about finals.

2 main reasons...show content and electronics. That's what fans say is keeping them from coming back.

We were in a recession in the late 70's. My God gas hit a dollar a gallon in some places. Oh wait, we had how many fans in Denver? Never mind

You can't really compare