An electronics explanation for all the haters

I did. Completely unprovable and self-serving. Thanks for playing.

No problem, I just hope people start booing the poor performance issues of the sound system.

Idiots trying to use a syatem that takes sound from a very small stage and spread it across a large audience and using it to amp a HUGE stage and funnel the sound to a 60' x 10' box at the top of the stadium and they didn't think it was going to be crap ?

AT least in medicine they experiment on the dead before operating on the living.

Must really pizz them off that they thought they could outdo the marching bands and yet have fallen flat on their faces.

No problem, I just hope people start booing the poor performance issues of the sound system.

Idiots trying to use a syatem that takes sound from a very small stage and spread it across a large audience and using it to amp a HUGE stage and funnel the sound to a 60' x 10' box at the top of the stadium and they didn't think it was going to be crap ?

AT least in medicine they experiment on the dead before operating on the living.

Must really pizz them off that they thought they could outdo the marching bands and yet have fallen flat on their faces.

Speaking of self-serving......

So what?

Um, you told me that the 2008 Countdown winners were chosen from "hundreds" of shows. They weren't. They were chosen from three years of shows, i.e., apparently three sets of top-twelve finishers, which are all that appear in the poll. Of those 36, I think eight (22%) had amplified voice. Of the top six vote-getters, two (33%) had amplified voice. Yes, that might be significant. Or it might not. People might have liked those shows for other reasons than their use of voice.

What does that say about all the shows without mic'ed voice that didn't win enough votes, keeping in mind that many were higher placing than those with voice? The amped voice beat them (many of them top five finishers), indicating that for some significant segment of the fan base, the amped voice is fine.

Well, no show placed higher than Cadets 2005. Here are the results of the poll, showing the top eighteen finishers, including the place each show originally earned.

1. 2007 Carolina Crown (6th) -- 2137 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

2. 2006 Cavaliers 2006 (1st) -- 2006 (!) votes

3. 2006 Phantom Regiment (2nd) -- 1639 votes

4. 2005 Phantom Regiment (3rd) -- 1167 votes

5. 2007 Phantom Regiment (4th) -- 1147 votes

6. 2005 Cadets (1st) -- 1143 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

7. 2007 Blue Devils (1st) -- 1100 votes -- MIC'D VOICE*

8. 2007 Bluecoats (7th) -- 1062 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

9. 2006 Blue Devils (3rd) -- 891 votes

10. 2007 Santa Clara Vanguard (5th) -- 748 votes

11. 2007 Cadets (2nd) -- 693 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

12. 2005 Madison Scouts (6th) -- 684 votes

13. 2006 Santa Clara Vanguard (6th) -- 606 votes

14. 2005 Carolina Crown (7th) -- 528 votes

15. 2006 Carolina Crown (8th) -- 513 votes

16. 2005 Cavaliers (2nd) -- 496 votes

17. 2007 Cavaliers (3rd) -- 488 votes

18. 2006 Bluecoats (4th) -- 474 votes

*There's no way that people voted for "Winged Victory" because it had amplified voice (the modulation of which, it has been argued on these forums, perhaps violated the intent of the rules as they stood then). I didn't even realize there was voice in this show until reading it here this past year; I had assumed the weird, annoying amplified moaning was some weirdness on the tympani.

So the top eighteen finishers include seven shows from 2007 (the #1-7 finishers), six shows from 2006 (#1-4, 6, 8), and five shows from 2005 (#1-3, 6-7). What could that tell us, besides that (possibly) fans like amped voice? I think it shows, as I mentioned before, that they like, or remember, recent shows more than older shows (with "older" meaning two years old!), and that they like winners, i.e. the top six or so corps.

What are the exceptions to the latter observation, the top six finishers of 2005-2007 that didn't make the top eighteen spots in the poll? Why, those would be the Cadets' 2006 show, the Blue Devils' 2005 show, and the Bluecoats' 2005 show (despite its apparently having made the 2006 Countdown poll you mention). Hey, what do all three shows have in common? You get one guess.

(I'll have to get back to you about the 2006 Countdown, which I haven't considered yet.)

Because he hasn't gone to shows lately. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

Looks like you're going to summarily dismiss his opinion either way, so it doesn't matter. shutup.gif

While I don't agree with you on this matter, I didn't lose you until you said you haven't been to a show since I started marching. In a completely unsarcastic tone, how do you know how electronics work in DCI if you haven't seen it yet?

Let's be clear. electronics work the same way in DCI as they do in BOA, WGI, OMEA, TOB, and so on....

So if he's been to one of those types of marching band shows, the electronics in DCI work the same way as they have in those other places for 25 years.

I've seen it and can say that for sure.

Looks like you're going to summarily dismiss his opinion either way, so it doesn't matter. shutup.gif

No, not true. The first option didn't make any sense.

Plus, the electronics don't quite work the same in all those venues, at least to my ears. But, I'm young, so what do I know? :smile:

Edited by WOOHOO

No, not true. The first option didn't make any sense.

Plus, the electronics don't quite work the same in all those venues, at least to my ears. But, I'm young, so what do I know? :smile:

Actually you're much older then I thought :tongue:

Which doesn't equate to growing evidence of growing dissatisfaction with electronics. On the other hand, the fact that enough people voted to include Cadets 05, Bluecoats 05, Crown 07 and Bluecoats 07 in Countdown programs is evidence of acceptance of those shows with their mic'ed voice. Rather than being despised, they're championed. Significant.

HH

Those were the programs offered for a vote. Programs without electronics weren't offered. doh.gif