An electronics explanation for all the haters

So you go around calling all the corps bands then?

That's what I tell new people to the activity. Only people in the activity care about the distinction. I've personally never understood why there is such a hangup about the DCI band thing.

I saw Reading, MBI and Hurcs last night, and I was convinced even more so that Drum Corps doesn't need electronics. Reading didn't have any trouble filling the stadium with sound at Lewisburg, and I could hear their pit just fine(which played with good technique and no rock hard mallets seemed to be used that I could tell, it all sounded very nice and warm).

I think the argument over keyboard projection isn't even relevent anymore because in newer model outdoor boards, the resonators and projectors have evolved and are far superior to instruments of the mid 90's. Even 10 years ago, listen to Cavies pit in their Niagara Falls show......tell me that doesn't sound great. But hey, I can live with amping the pit anyway.

Sythn and electonic sound bites and recordings I can't see myself ever enjoying. I continue to support the activity, I love the competitive marching activity as a whole, high school band (only the competitive variety), DCI and DCA. But i don't enjoy, see the value in, or understand the reasoning behind electronics in any of these. If additions like this keep happening, I don't know where I will draw the line, but this is the 1st major change I've lived through that really bothered me like this. The only value I see in electronics is as a crutch for designers who aren't creative enough to be designing. Maybe instead of changing the rules, corps should change some designers, get some new creative blood in there. I think the "good ol boys club" of staff trading and the lack of a professional hiring process in DCI and DCA hurts the creativity more than anything. But that's just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

That's what I tell new people to the activity. Only people in the activity care about the distinction. I've personally never understood why there is such a hangup about the DCI band thing.

Next time you see a member of a corps tell them how much you enjoyed watching their band and see what they say and how they react. It's like the military. Go ask a Marine what the big deal is compared to being in the Navy.

Sure, were all on the same team (Marching arts) but there are different branches. To not make a distinction is an insult to those of us that have/are marching corps. For extra kicks and giggles go ask corps parents about which "band" their kid is in and they'll give you a lesson.

I saw Reading, MBI and Hurcs last night, and I was convinced even more so that Drum Corps doesn't need electronics. Reading didn't have any trouble filling the stadium with sound at Lewisburg, and I could hear their pit just fine(which played with good technique and no rock hard mallets seemed to be used that I could tell, it all sounded very nice and warm).

I think the argument over keyboard projection isn't even relevent anymore because in newer model outdoor boards, the resonators and projectors have evolved and are far superior to instruments of the mid 90's. Even 10 years ago, listen to Cavies pit in their Niagara Falls show......tell me that doesn't sound great. But hey, I can live with amping the pit anyway.

Sythn and electonic sound bites and recordings I can't see myself ever enjoying. I continue to support the activity, I love the competitive marching activity as a whole, high school band (only the competitive variety), DCI and DCA. But i don't enjoy, see the value in, or understand the reasoning behind electronics in any of these. If additions like this keep happening, I don't know where I will draw the line, but this is the 1st major change I've lived through that really bothered me like this. The only value I see in electronics is as a crutch for designers who aren't creative enough to be designing. Maybe instead of changing the rules, corps should change some designers, get some new creative blood in there. I think the "good ol boys club" of staff trading and the lack of a professional hiring process in DCI and DCA hurts the creativity more than anything. But that's just my 2 cents.

:worthy:

With you 100%. Were we seperated at birth?

Horns are not bugles, and have not been for decades...there are more than 'drums' in percussion since the mid-70's, and color guards have not guarded the colors in decades. What is the point?

And I had no trouble hearing a bell and xylo player through the whole show when they were marching with them in the mid 70's, so why the need for amps for a whole squardon of them parked on the front sideline ?

Horns are not bugles,

and a house is not a home :shutup:

Horns are not bugles, and have not been for decades...there are more than 'drums' in percussion since the mid-70's, and color guards have not guarded the colors in decades. What is the point?

Woodwinds, synths and keyboards are even less like bugles? :tongue::devil:

Next time you see a member of a corps tell them how much you enjoyed watching their band and see what they say and how they react. It's like the military. Go ask a Marine what the big deal is compared to being in the Navy.

Sure, were all on the same team (Marching arts) but there are different branches. To not make a distinction is an insult to those of us that have/are marching corps. For extra kicks and giggles go ask corps parents about which "band" their kid is in and they'll give you a lesson.

I don't see it as an insult. Who would? We were all in marching bands at one point.

I don't see it as an insult. Who would? We were all in marching bands at one point.

Well I see it as an insult and there are crap ton of other folks that do to. Plus, not everyone that has marched corps has marched in a marching band. There are few out there but they exist.

Well I see it as an insult and there are crap ton of other folks that do to. Plus, not everyone that has marched corps has marched in a marching band. There are few out there but they exist.

Okay.

I just hear many of my old corps friends say things like "look at those lame bandos over there". I don't know, seems to reek of a HUGE lack of self-awareness. We are the real bandos, not them tongue.gif