An electronics explanation for all the haters

can we please just make a new law prohibiting electronics topics on DCP

....or we could make a new law prohibiting you from reading them.

Then again, if you don't want to read electronics threads, just refrain from doing so. I'll bet you could do that all by yourself, without a new DCP "law".

• Like 2

If you're saying Yamaha suggested this in the sense that they told their sponsored corps Yamaha would be as accommodating and helpful as possible, then you are correct but REALLY stretching the point and making misleading statements with the intent of swaying people.

I'm not trying to be misleading. I think the effect of the sponsors on the corps is way underestimated. These guys get incredible deals on new brass every year, new battery and pit every year. Their sponsors have a lot of practical sway on what decisions get made. I'm sure it was not a blatant "vote for electronics or we cut back on sponsorships". It was more like, here's a bunch of free training and free time with audio consultants, and free demo equipment, and you go to enough seminars on this amazing new equipment and you start to convince yourself it's worth a try at least.

I'm not saying Yamaha et al concocted this all themselves, but if you don't think they were pushing for it with every tool they have, then you are obviously not familiar with how salespeople work.

DRUM & BUGLE CORPS ARE NOT MARCHING BANDS!!! What makes drum & bugle corps special is the unique sound of the all brass choir. Polluting that sound with synths, bells, pianos or any other instrument that is not from the brass family destroys this uniqueness. Would I support the elimination of the pit? No! I do think they add a color of sounds that supplement the brass sound. I do however support limiting the pit size, eliminating amps and any non-acoustic instruments . I would also prohibit any member from spending the whole show in the pit. Everybody marches! If you would like to experience what the true drum corps sound is there is a video called, “When DC didn’t need amps”, it was put together by Roy Perez. Check out the crowd reactions!

Where can you find this video?

DRUM & BUGLE CORPS ARE NOT MARCHING BANDS!!!

I just want to draw attention to the generally accepted name for the activity: "DRUM and BUGLE corps". As of now, we should change the name to "Synthesizer, Amplification, Drum, and Bugle Corps" because the first two categories seem to be taking on at least equal importance to the latter two categories, and that is a shame.

Synths and amps are to drum corps what a male contestant would be in the Miss America pageant--ridiculous.

• Like 3

I just want to draw attention to the generally accepted name for the activity: "DRUM and BUGLE corps". As of now, we should change the name to "Synthesizer, Amplification, Drum, and Bugle Corps" because the first two categories seem to be taking on at least equal importance to the latter two categories, and that is a shame.

Synths and amps are to drum corps what a male contestant would be in the Miss America pageant--ridiculous.

Horns are not bugles, and have not been for decades...there are more than 'drums' in percussion since the mid-70's, and color guards have not guarded the colors in decades. What is the point?

Horns are not bugles, and have not been for decades...there are more than 'drums' in percussion since the mid-70's, and color guards have not guarded the colors in decades. What is the point?

Point well-taken, but I would say these latest changes are even worse. While changing from bugles to horns is a major difference, the sound quality is only marginally different--especially to the general public. Similarly, including all percussion, not just drums, is an expansion of timbre, but keeps the same spirit.

Adding synths involves completely different techniques and timbres, and fundamentally changes the character of the ensemble. It used to be the DCI was THE place to go for brass and percussion moving at light speed. No longer. It's the place to go for the same kind of trashy music we are inundated with throughout our daily lives. In trying to "keep up with the Joneses", they have destroyed the beautiful art that once thrilled me and now, more often than not, annoys me.

I can't tell you how many times last night, instead of jumping to my feet at the sound of a beautiful and/or loud moment, I found myself hesitating--wondering how much of that sound was actually created by the performers and how much was enhanced by the audio technician. With so much over-produced music in the world, why can't we just enjoy real music performed without pre-recorded sound effects?

• Like 2

It's all marching music but different branches of the family tree that all deserve to retain the qualities that make (made) them unique.

Pipe bands, marching bands and drum corps all have (had) their own sound. You can't tell me you can't hear the difference between them.

Volvo, Volkswagon and Kia are all cars. Myself, I drive a Kia and would like it very much if I could be allowed to continue. Thanks.

Point well-taken, but I would say these latest changes are even worse. While changing from bugles to horns is a major difference, the sound quality is only marginally different--especially to the general public. Similarly, including all percussion, not just drums, is an expansion of timbre, but keeps the same spirit.

Adding synths involves completely different techniques and timbres, and fundamentally changes the character of the ensemble. It used to be the DCI was THE place to go for brass and percussion moving at light speed. No longer. It's the place to go for the same kind of trashy music we are inundated with throughout our daily lives. In trying to "keep up with the Joneses", they have destroyed the beautiful art that once thrilled me and now, more often than not, annoys me.

I can't tell you how many times last night, instead of jumping to my feet at the sound of a beautiful and/or loud moment, I found myself hesitating--wondering how much of that sound was actually created by the performers and how much was enhanced by the audio technician. With so much over-produced music in the world, why can't we just enjoy real music performed without pre-recorded sound effects?

In the last couple of years I was attending DCI shows I was on my feet at points, but mostly because I knew how technically difficult this or that passage of music was. In years gone by I would be on my feet more for the visceral hit on the emotional level. Knowing that the sound is artificially produced may even take away the appreciation of the difficulty factor, I won't know until I'm there next week.

I'm way past the G vs. Bb, grounded pit, etc changes. I can live with dancing guards, although sadly for the performers I hardly watch the guard any more as their efforts get lost after you're up a few rows in the stands. I can live with amplified pits as long as they're not drowning out the rest of the ensemble.

Narration and mic'd singing I could not live with, and I suspect I may feel the same about electronics this time next week.

But let's not stray onto the whole G-Bb "what is a drum corps" thing here, please. That one has been beaten to death and just like Republicans and Democrats, nobody is going to convince the other..................

Drum corps is marching band. Always has been. Always will be.

So you go around calling all the corps bands then?