An electronics explanation for all the haters

I'd also like to know how many people (fans), if they were in the appropriate position, would honestly have thought of adding electronics to the activity? Would people have made a proposal?

I would imagine some folks would honestly have thought of adding amps to the pit. I'd probably be in that mix. Though I wonder still if they are necessary since I enjoy the old school pits just as much as the '04 + pits.

However, I don't think a lot of folks would have even considered adding electronics to the activity, even our "pro-electronics" sector.

Would you have made a pro electronics proposal out of your own thought process without someone suggesting it to you?

Yes. I went to what I consider a slightly above-average high school music program, though still a bit behind BOA schools. We had synths and electronics in our HS productions: in 1990!! When DCI's top designers are revolutionizing the marching activity in BOA & WGI annually, it seems silly to not afford them the same 'tools' in DCI front ensembles as BOA & WGI front ensembles. When I was in HS, DCI was mostly at the forefront of design trends: now-a-days, sadly, I would say DCI is behind both WGI & BOA trends design-wise (and to be blunt it's no surprise that WGI attendance trends have been exploding over the last decade + while DCI's have not - you can say it's because of scholastic groups, and that's true to an extent, but PIW Finals packs them in more than anyone else in the Percussion WGI world).

No: it's doesn't really make sense. Why would you want to "penalize" drum corps for the sole sake of taking advantage of a) modern trends and b) convenience?!

We can discuss the relative merits of "modern trends" but what in hell is convenient about trundling around more and more marimbas?????

We can discuss the relative merits of "modern trends" but what in hell is convenient about trundling around more and more marimbas?????

Well, it's pretty darned convenient for the arrangers who prefer to orchestrate with multiple voices. By the goofy logic, why bother with any instruments: really, nothing about drum corps is convenient.

* and FWIW I was replying to the poster who theorized that BTID when pits were legally grounded corps who wished to ground instruments should take a penalty. That would make zero sense, IMO

• Like 1

Well, it's pretty darned convenient for the arrangers who prefer to orchestrate with multiple voices. By the goofy logic, why bother with any instruments: really, nothing about drum corps is convenient.

Like I say, if you can't march a parade with it, it doesn't belong IF you're gonna call yourself Marching's major league

You want to know who suggested it?

Yamaha. :ph34r:

I can tell you FOR A FACT that was most certainly not the case: this is more ignorant, nonsense argument made for the sole purpose of trying to erroneously prove your point. I actually asked this very question to individuals I trust who do indeed are close enough to this (wrong) argument.

If you're saying Yamaha suggested this in the sense that they told their sponsored corps Yamaha would be as accommodating and helpful as possible, then you are correct but REALLY stretching the point and making misleading statements with the intent of swaying people.

If I had to guess, I'd just go with the good ol' "you don't known what your talking about and talking out of your arse" explanation. :rolleyes:

That's nice for the arranger. Ever help out the loading crew after a show?

• Like 1

No: it's doesn't really make sense. Why would you want to "penalize" drum corps for the sole sake of taking advantage of a) modern trends and b) convenience?! .... to write-off current technology just seems silly.

In my hypothetical situation, corps would take a penalty when they (1) use an instrument that doesn't march, and (2) use an instrument that's not acoustic. For me, drum corps is a moving musical ensemble that creates a lovely sound loud enough to fill a stadium-sized (and preferably outdoor) venue, all under its own power. Electronics and amplification are a cheat, in that they enable the corps to achieve a big sound with minimal effort. (I'm OK with woodwinds, by the way, as long as they're not amplified. Bring on the bagpipes and shawms!) And --though it took me a while to realize this-- the pit is also a cheat, in that it enables corp members to create sound while not moving. But I think my position is consistent: that's the sense I claim it makes.

However, while I firmly hold my position, I recognize that I probably have to live with compromise, and accept that drum corps will always be a watered-down version of what it might be, if its practitioners stayed true to the activity's essential nature. (That there is such a nature is beyond dispute: we just disagree as to what that is.) Bruckner8 has written about drum corps as "predominantly" acoustic and moving, and for the most part, I can accept that. (But I note that he prefers horn lines in rehearsal to what shows have "evolved" into.) And I shall wish for the activity's leaders to plant their heels on the slippery slope on which they stand, and maybe take a step or two back toward the summit. (For instance, can we at least return control of corps volume to members rather than staff people?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I can tell you FOR A FACT that was most certainly not the case: this is more ignorant, nonsense argument made for the sole purpose of trying to erroneously prove your point. I actually asked this very question to individuals I trust who do indeed are close enough to this (wrong) argument.

If you're saying Yamaha suggested this in the sense that they told their sponsored corps Yamaha would be as accommodating and helpful as possible, then you are correct but REALLY stretching the point and making misleading statements with the intent of swaying people.

If I had to guess, I'd just go with the good ol' "you don't known what your talking about and talking out of your arse" explanation. :rolleyes:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA No, Yamaha had nothing to do with it just like there are no lobbyist ( sp ? ) in Washington :shutup:

Edited by The Other Mike

Yes. I went to what I consider a slightly above-average high school music program, though still a bit behind BOA schools. We had synths and electronics in our HS productions: in 1990!! When DCI's top designers are revolutionizing the marching activity in BOA & WGI annually, it seems silly to not afford them the same 'tools' in DCI front ensembles as BOA & WGI front ensembles. When I was in HS, DCI was mostly at the forefront of design trends: now-a-days, sadly, I would say DCI is behind both WGI & BOA trends design-wise (and to be blunt it's no surprise that WGI attendance trends have been exploding over the last decade + while DCI's have not - you can say it's because of scholastic groups, and that's true to an extent, but PIW Finals packs them in more than anyone else in the Percussion WGI world).

DRUM & BUGLE CORPS ARE NOT MARCHING BANDS!!! What makes drum & bugle corps special is the unique sound of the all brass choir. Polluting that sound with synths, bells, pianos or any other instrument that is not from the brass family destroys this uniqueness. Would I support the elimination of the pit? No! I do think they add a color of sounds that supplement the brass sound. I do however support limiting the pit size, eliminating amps and any non-acoustic instruments . I would also prohibit any member from spending the whole show in the pit. Everybody marches! If you would like to experience what the true drum corps sound is there is a video called, “When DC didn’t need amps”, it was put together by Roy Perez. Check out the crowd reactions!

• Like 3