An electronics explanation for all the haters

PIW Finals packs them in more than anyone else in the Percussion WGI world).

Sure it does. In a gym. Try doing that in a major college or pro football stadium. Apples and oranges.

Garry in Vegas

I also wonder whose pocket DCI is after. If it's the alums, who have the support money and offspring to march, from what I've heard they are not reaching them with these new approaches. If it's the young ones, I don't know. Other than 'band geeks', their family and friends, what teenager that you know would sit through a drum and bugle corps show? My college-aged son certainly would not. I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this.

These are DCI's thoughts from September 2009.

The most interesting focus is to increase participation in corps from 4300 in the 2009 world championships to 6000 by 2014, including:

* In 2011, establish a comprehensive program to
support groups desiring to establish new corps.

Not sure if that's happening.

There's no mention in the report of electronics or amplification (to be fair most of it was probably written before the actual impact of electronics was felt at the 2009 Finals).

There's very little mention of "lost fans" or "long-time fans" except in the context of setting up new shows (Minneapolis being one) that would attract them.

Edited by skywhopper

Why should this be their priority at all? The funny thing is that the argument from many in the activity is that DCI leans too much in favour of smaller corps.

Business is business.

If they can't attract the kids, if they can't attract the staff, if they can't attract the partners, if they can't generate the financial support that they need... it is entirely their fault.

Those smaller corps are members of DCI just like the top ones are. If they are struggling and don't get help, then their failure is the fault of DCI and all of its members just as much as it is theirs. Every corps that shuts down means fewer potential fans of the activity, which means less money for everyone. If the corps outside the top 12 shut down altogether tomorrow, the top 12 wouldn't make more money, they would make less. Far less.

• Like 2

The fact of the matter is, rather you like it or not, THE ELECTRONICS ARE NOT GOING TO STOP ANYTIME SOON

So either you LEAVE THE ACTIVITY or SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

I "left the activity."

Haven't posted on here in quite some time, but have occasionally checked in on a slow day at work.

I've been attending shows since 1978 (both the local shows and finals). I marched in the mid-80's. So, I have a pretty lengthy background in the activity, and have spent an untold number of dollars on tickets, CD's (I still have the old cassettes and records), DVD's (VHS tapes), t-shirts, hats, etc.

Ever since the advent of A&E, my interest has slowly disappeared. I gave it a chance - I really did. I can't stand listening to the talking or the true drum and bugle sound being drowned out by the A&E. Do soloists really need to be miked? There never used to be a need.

There have been 3 shows this summer within 30 minutes of my house, and I have not had the desire to sit through any of them. I have not purchased CD's or DVD's in 3-4 years. I might have about 3 t-shirts that are newer than 6 years old. The past few years, I only attended 1 show locally per year, and didn't bother heading out of town for other shows. I travel quite a bit, and I used to scan the schedule to see if I could attend a show in the city in which I was traveling. I haven't done that for at least 5 years.

Judging from what I've seen and heard about attendance at the local shows here in Texas this summer, I'm not the only one who has "left the activity."

• Like 6

Why should this be their priority at all? The funny thing is that the argument from many in the activity is that DCI leans too much in favour of smaller corps.

And who has said that? Witholding "Pithy" <$1 to BigW> comment until I get a response but have a good guess....

Quote:

danielray, on 30 July 2011 - 03:54 AM, said:

To sum up this tread...

Old people don't like electronics.

Unquote

It's funny you say that. Because in Atlanta, I (a 31-year-old) was sitting next to three teenagers (juniors/seniors in high school) and they weren't the least bit interested in the synth sounds. The whole time, they were raving about this percussion line and that horn sound. The only thing they ever said about the synths/samples was to complain a couple of times about sounds that didn't fit the show.

Ask yourself. Has anyone walked out of a DCI competition talking about "that great synth that so-and-so used" or "the awesome pre-recorded music that opened so-and-so's show"? The only exception to this rule that I've heard to date is people liking the "chant" that starts and ends the Cadets show this year. Otherwise, the best people can do is to ignore those sounds and try to enjoy the brass and percussion (imagine that--at a Drum and Bugle show?). Just about everyone around me was complaining about synthetic sounds from the field.

I know it's anecdotal, but is anyone REALLY getting excited about synth sounds?

the designers

• Like 2