Prototype judging system explained

Personally, I dont thinkt he system was was first implemented back in 200 was broken. I think how it was applied was broken

My personal thoughts are if how a system is applied is broken, then the system didn't do a good job of leading those who are applying it, and therefor it's broken.

I'm not saying it's broken, but that's how my logic works out your scenario.

I don't know if one needs to know the source material, but I've got to commend the judges for taking the effort to more fully understand the music. I don't know what will be provided to the judges, but I'm guessing much of that will be worked out over the coming months. I see this as an extension of the talk about eliminating critiques in favor of time periods where judges and staffs can get together to discuss the show.

Wouldn't listening to the source music help the judges see how the music is processed into the show? Like, either keeping original to the source music versus mixing, chopping, dicing, and sauteing it into the show music? Either method is fine, but is this something judges look for?

I think we should all be a little patient and see what they ultimately decide upon that can pass a vote ... It's hard (and not productive, imo) to comment just yet one way or the other on something that has no specifics yet. ... But right now, there is really nothing really to comment on [...]

I agree that we can't comment fully until we have all the facts (but will we?), but then: what ought we to be saying in this discussion thread?

i don't know much about all this judging business, but i'll bet these TOC shows are TONS of fun for the members, seems so relaxed!

I don't know if one needs to know the source material, but I've got to commend the judges for taking the effort to more fully understand the music. I don't know what will be provided to the judges, but I'm guessing much of that will be worked out over the coming months. I see this as an extension of the talk about eliminating critiques in favor of time periods where judges and staffs can get together to discuss the show.

I dunno. I think critique can be beneficial...sometimes on tape you dont always have time to get to everything.

Sorry I misunderstood you...it came off that they were required to listen. I know I can see anywhere up to 100 different bands in a season. I know I wouldnt have enough time to digest it all, even if some shows were ( and are) repeats

My personal thoughts are if how a system is applied is broken, then the system didn't do a good job of leading those who are applying it, and therefor it's broken.

I'm not saying it's broken, but that's how my logic works out your scenario.

i'm saying the sheets as they are cover what's there now in terms of design. It's how, like for instance with GE...for years the triad of effect was ignored solely for the intellectual only. Yet people got box 5 numbers in late July anyways.

Why? because the corps wanted their design rewarded, regardless of what the sheets say. When the inmates control the asylum, funny things can and do happen

Wouldn't listening to the source music help the judges see how the music is processed into the show? Like, either keeping original to the source music versus mixing, chopping, dicing, and sauteing it into the show music? Either method is fine, but is this something judges look for?

that would be an accurate description of what the vast majority of arrangers have been doing for 3 decades, even for shows a lot of people happen to love. phantom 08 had five different pieces in their show, which provides a perfect example of it, actually. one of the more fragmented and chopped, sliced, and diced arrangements in recent history, but there are few complaints about it.

why?

in short, it has less to do with how segmented the arrangement is, and more to do with how well it's done.

• Like 1

that would be an accurate description of what the vast majority of arrangers have been doing for 3 decades, even for shows a lot of people happen to love. phantom 08 had five different pieces in their show, which provides a perfect example of it, actually. one of the more fragmented and chopped, sliced, and diced arrangements in recent history, but there are few complaints about it.

why?

in short, it has less to do with how segmented the arrangement is, and more to do with how well it's done.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

why?

(and with who's doing it?)

Edited by saxfreq1128