Corps Numbers and Instrumentation?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere...and I'd rather not count people on moving videos, lol.

Could somebody do me the favor of giving me section numbers and instrumentation for a "typical" world class corps? I know all corps are different, but I'm looking for relative numbers. AKA, how many trumpets, mellos, guard, pit, etc...In terms of instrumentation, how would a typical corps be divided on a score? AKA, how many trumpet parts? How many contras? Etc.

Truth be told, I want to play around with some arranging and drill writing on my own. :P

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back, a "normal" lineup would be something along the lines of 20 soprano + 12 mello + 20 baritone + 12 contra = 64 horns. (Of course, each corps had variations on that.) With 80 man hornlines now, I'm not sure what the average breakdown is anymore. Drums typically run (again, with variations b/w corps) 8 snare, 4 tenor, 5 bass, 10 pit. Guards are in the mid 30's, it has seemed.

(If I haven't disclaimed enough, take these numbers with a grain of salt. I'm well conversant with drumline numbers, but I know horn numbers have gone up in recent years. The 64-horn line is kind of small now.)

Mike

A few years back, a "normal" lineup would be something along the lines of 20 soprano + 12 mello + 20 baritone + 12 contra = 64 horns. (Of course, each corps had variations on that.) With 80 man hornlines now, I'm not sure what the average breakdown is anymore. Drums typically run (again, with variations b/w corps) 8 snare, 4 tenor, 5 bass, 10 pit. Guards are in the mid 30's, it has seemed.

(If I haven't disclaimed enough, take these numbers with a grain of salt. I'm well conversant with drumline numbers, but I know horn numbers have gone up in recent years. The 64-horn line is kind of small now.)

Mike

Yeah, this is the only info I've been able to find. But I was hoping for the info for the new larger corps size. I can guesstimate, but that's not as fun.

Do you know instrumentation breakdown? I'm guessing that hasn't really changed.

Oh, and thank you!

Edited by bmt2116

I think the Cadets were shooting for 24 trumpets and baritones with 16 tubas and melos to get to 80 and to keep the numbers even for this year's split drill (all multiples of 4). I'm not sure where they are now. As for how many on 1st, 2nd, 3rd parts, I think it varies widely depending on the group of kids, and fluctuates during the season depending on the sound they're trying to achieve.

Edited by Shamu89

when Bluecoats left spring training this was what they had. with injuries and such I'm not sure if they have any holes or not currently.

Brass - 80 (Sop -24, Mello - 16, Bari-8, Euph - 16, Contra - 16)

Battery - 20 (Snare - 10, Tenor - 5, Bass - 5)

Pit - 11

Guard - 36

DM - 3

Total - 150

Usually, brass parts will be split into thirds for the large sections, trumpets and baris/euphs, and only split twice for mellos and tubas. Usually corps split their sections in 8s, so 8 1st, 8 2nd, 8 3rd.

You guys are awesome. Thank you!

So it's safe to assume then the 20+12+20+12=64 hornline has now evolved into the 24+16+24+16=80 hornline? Again, in general terms, at least?

Mike

That's what I sortof suspected. And makes total sense.

BK brass is:

16 Tubas

24 baritones not sure what Euph Split is..

16 mellos

24 trumpets

I believe... Though it might be 26 baritones 22 trumpets...

Edited by wesleyrp