I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

So turn off your sensors, and look at the pieces of the show like you look at Cavies show, no judgement, no need for a connection, just great visuals and great music that celebrate what makes a home. In the end, the house pieces come together and corps surrounds it, no rocket science here.

Looking at it like I look at a Cavies show is EXACTLY why I didn't like it. I'm going to have to find a completely different way of looking at this BD show. I still see it as chaotic and lacking a unified theme, but as I wrote before, I'm willing to give it another go. Maybe it will grow on me.

Still, for the sake of new fans (and even those of us who have been fans for awhile), if I'm having to try this hard to "get it", I don't think it's connecting in the way it was meant to connect. What happened to the visceral roar of the crowd reacting to something truly amazing? I didn't sense that in this show the first or second time I saw it. That, IMO, is a huge problem for DCI as a whole. If people don't connect with what they see, they'll stop shelling out hundreds of dollars (tickets, hotels, gas, food) to see it.

• Like 1

Plus, more importantly, how can you not like Seinfeld? Probably like The Big Bang Theory or something tongue.gif

I didn't say that I didn't like it. Just that it isn't my favorite. (Top 6 in no particular order: Carol Burnette, Cosby Show, Community, I Love Lucy, Frasier, All in the Family). I do love the Soup Nazi episode, though.

Looking at it like I look at a Cavies show is EXACTLY why I didn't like it. I'm going to have to find a completely different way of looking at this BD show. I still see it as chaotic and lacking a unified theme, but as I wrote before, I'm willing to give it another go. Maybe it will grow on me.

Still, for the sake of new fans (and even those of us who have been fans for awhile), if I'm having to try this hard to "get it", I don't think it's connecting in the way it was meant to connect. What happened to the visceral roar of the crowd reacting to something truly amazing? I didn't sense that in this show the first or second time I saw it. That, IMO, is a huge problem for DCI as a whole. If people don't connect with what they see, they'll stop shelling out hundreds of dollars (tickets, hotels, gas, food) to see it.

Very valid points! A show like PR08 only comes along every once in long while, it was a story that was designed big enough and clear enough to connect. No guess work or digging for meaning. Cadets 2011 is similar and perhaps the best story program since 08. With regard to BD, I can see where the House theme drives you to see where it fits, I suppose it's human nature. But as Photographer Jim nicely pointed out, the parts of the house are broken throughout the show and come together very visually at the end. Not much more to it, it's about the visual and musical design and the perfect (as possible) performance of them. The fact that you're willing to give a show another try to connect is pretty cool. I think we should all try to see what the designers see.

In my opinion, I believe that people didn't bash BD when they got 4th place because that is the spot where most fans felt was the right place for them. The reason people are frustrated or disagree with the 1st place that BD got at Atlanta is because they believe that Cadets and the Cavaliers put out a show that was better in terms of design and music. I wouldn't say that "all hell" broke loose, it's just that people became frustrated when a subpar show(still pretty good in my opinion) got placed higher than the brilliant shows put forth by both Cadets and Cavaliers.

Neon - I don't mean to jump on you alone for this, as there are far too many examples on this site to list. It just drives me nuts to see your above post explaining (even in your opinion) how "most fans" or "people" feel. It is like those politicians that claim to speak for "the American people" or that tell us that "most people believe x". Why don't we speak for ourselves, rather than "most people". Assuming your post is actually referring to how YOU feel, maybe some edits would make sense...

"I didn't bash BD when they got 4th place because that is the spot where I felt was the right place for them. The reason I am frustrated or disagree with the 1st place that BD got at Atlanta is because I believe that Cadets and the Cavaliers put out a show that was better in terms of design and music. I wouldn't say that "all hell" broke loose, it's just that I became frustrated when a subpar show(still pretty good in my opinion) got placed higher than the brilliant shows put forth by both Cadets and Cavaliers."

/rant

• Like 1

Neon - I don't mean to jump on you alone for this, as there are far too many examples on this site to list. It just drives me nuts to see your above post explaining (even in your opinion) how "most fans" or "people" feel. It is like those politicians that claim to speak for "the American people" or that tell us that "most people believe x". Why don't we speak for ourselves, rather than "most people". Assuming your post is actually referring to how YOU feel, maybe some edits would make sense...

"I didn't bash BD when they got 4th place because that is the spot where I felt was the right place for them. The reason I am frustrated or disagree with the 1st place that BD got at Atlanta is because I believe that Cadets and the Cavaliers put out a show that was better in terms of design and music. I wouldn't say that "all hell" broke loose, it's just that I became frustrated when a subpar show(still pretty good in my opinion) got placed higher than the brilliant shows put forth by both Cadets and Cavaliers."

/rant

Well of course I can't tell how "most fans" feel about the situation with the Blue Devils. If I did, I would be a psychic and the possibilities would be endless. Oh I would finally be able to read the mind of BD drill designer and figure out what their show is about.....but i digress.

That's why I started off by saying that "in my opinion", this is what i believe they feel.

You claimed that "all hell broke" loose once the Blue Devils started winning and I gave you my explanation.

It seems that you didn't like my explanation even though I stated that it was in my opinion and so now you decide to attack me and assume I'm a BD hater.

I already stated in other threads that I felt that BD earned their 1st place in Atlanta and that their music was outstanding and clearly the best out of all the corps.

Well of course I can't tell how "most fans" feel about the situation with the Blue Devils. If I did, I would be a psychic and the possibilities would be endless. Oh I would finally be able to read the mind of BD drill designer and figure out what their show is about.....but i digress.

That's why I started off by saying that "in my opinion", this is what i believe they feel.

You claimed that "all hell broke" loose once the Blue Devils started winning and I gave you my explanation.

It seems that you didn't like my explanation even though I stated that it was in my opinion and so now you decide to attack me and assume I'm a BD hater.

I already stated in other threads that I felt that BD earned their 1st place in Atlanta and that their music was outstanding and clearly the best out of all the corps.

I love the Blue Devils. The Blue Devils were the first drum corps that I ever saw.

That being said, the Blue Devils did not deserve to win the 2011 Atlanta DCI SEC show.

I had them in third place.

"The reason people are frustrated or disagree with the 1st place that BD got at Atlanta is because they believe that Cadets and the Cavaliers put out a show that was better..."

Re:

This is true. The Atlanta fans believed that both the Cavies and the Cadets were better than the Blue Devils.

I agree with them.

Here are my 2011 Atl scores:

3rd Blue Devils 91.9

2nd Cavies 92.1

1st Cadets 93.8

The judges got it wrong.

Edited by Howdy

To the OP:

I'm tired of the Blue Devils hater haters.

Dude.. seriously. Lighten up.

:tongue:

for the win...

I like BD this year...even brought 2 BB CDs (one with Stan Gatz playing) because of this show …there is enough for another year of BB music, just saying. Even though I like BDs show this year – it’s not my favorite – can’t say if it should win just yet either, we'll see in a few weeks, then I'll let you know. when I saw it live a few weeks back now, they got second to Cavies which was correct for that night. Don’t really mind if they win this year as long as they earn it

I do think it’s odd how thin-skinned and insecure BD’s honks are…or is it their arrogance that makes them think that having the winning show equals having the best shows equals fan must love them the most

It’s all very odd and not cool at all, it’s very band-dork, stage mom with issues

• Like 1

Huh??? Let me respond in order...

I noted that you stated "in my opinion". I was simply commenting that you should speak for yourself and let others speak for themselves, rather than trying to explain what "people" or "most fans" think.

Second, you are confusing me with another poster. I never said anything about "all hell" breaking loose. My response to you was my first post in this thread.

Third, I didn't realize I was "attacking you" by my suggestion. I was just suggesting that you would be better off describing YOUR feelings about the issue than trying to explain what "most fans" are feeling.

Finally, I never called you a "hater" or even hinted at it here. I said nothing at all about your opinion of the Blue Devils or any other corps. My comments were directed clearly at HOW you stated your opinion, not the content of your post.