Mikey's Atlanta Show Scores

curoius as to how those who actually sent to the Atlanta show think about how I scored the top 3 corps

???

...it seems that almost everyone that I have talked to think that the Cavies and Cadets were better than the Blue Devils.

What so say you???

I was at the Atlanta show. I think you are dead wrong. Placements were exactly right in the top 3 at least. The performance quality of the Cadets and Cavies was significantly lower than BD (yes, I know BD was 3rd in brass. I was in the upper deck, so I can't argue that at all).

Were the other SHOWS better? Sure. Were they executed as well as BD? Not at all.

• Like 2

Is this poster satire?

We'd like to think so.

But I think we'd be wrong.

• Like 2

So all these ventures he has been involved in are really true?

Is he actually a judge...in marching band?

Only he can tell you for sure.

And if you ask him, I'm sure he will....

• Like 1

Yes, but after 30 years it is not that difficult.

...besides the practice judging is good for me, esp practicing judging the percussion...

Suggestion: you need more practice time on your percussion judging skills. I wouldn't want a trained percussionist judging an 80 man brass line for that matter either. You're probably skilled in judging brass lines, music ensemble, and probably other captions. But nobody.... NOBODY... has the requisite skills to judge all the captions of brass, percussion, guard, visual demand, visual execution, etc all at once. It's impossible. The eye, ear can not take it all in. Thats why we have 5-8 judges judging certain captions... and focusing their eyes and ears on those captions alone in the performance. If you think you can take it all in and judge all the 2 dozen Corps in all the facets and components of the show and give scores in the 16 subcaptions and then total it up, down to the tenths, then you have jumped the shark with this stuff, imo..... No... Can... Do.

So all these ventures he has been involved in are really true?

Is he actually a judge...in marching band?

For the inside scoop you have to read through tons of his posts to RAMD for the past 10 years. :blink:

Yes, the skate board team and the horse trailer Christin puppet shows are just part of his history.

• Like 1

Suggestion: you need more practice time on your percussion judging skills. I wouldn't want a trained percussionist judging an 80 man brass line for that matter either. You're probably skilled in judging brass lines, music ensemble, and probably other captions. But nobody.... NOBODY... has the requisite skills to judge all the captions of brass, percussion, guard, visual demand, visual execution, etc all at once. It's impossible. The eye, ear can not take it all in. Thats why we have 5-8 judges judging certain captions... and focusing their eyes and ears on those captions alone in the performance. If you think you can take it all in and judge all the 2 dozen Corps in all the facets and components of the show and give scores in the 16 subcaptions and then total it up, down to the tenths, then you have jumped the shark with this stuff, imo..... No... Can... Do.

Nay nay, The Right Reverend Michael "Howdy" Schmidt is the all knowing, all seeing, all knowlegable Lord of the Marching arts. Don't believe me ? Just ask him.

• Haha 1

Is this poster satire?

Lets hope so... for his sake. If he's serious that he thinks he can judge all the 16 judging subcaptions of all Corps in Atlanta, tally up the score to the tenths, then like I said, he's jumped the shark here re. his professed judging abilities. Nobody has these across the board abilities. That why I think he's probably just goofing and this is a spoof.

Edited by BRASSO