Sevierville, TN

Academy gets a 2.75 bump WOW. They break the 80.00 barrier for the first time, Congratulations! Nips the Troopers by .01, way to climb up the ranks. Incredible tight race between between Crossmen, Colts, Troopers and Academy, but can any of them catch Spirit of Atlanta?

Academy's been working their tails off trying to move up.

But then so has everyone else!

Haha, it's been like that for a loooong time! I remember marching on that field!! If you were near the front sideline, you couldn't see the people's feet on the back sideline! Major hill!!

I was there today and the "hump" didn't seem to be as severe as it was back in our day. :smile:

It's still a heck of a hump though...

Music City was quite entertaining. Good show and in the full sun and intense heat.

Crossmen put on a strong show. They are good but possibly appeal to too small a niche to be more competitive as their isn't really anything new or overly clever about the production.

Colts seemed really effected by the heat. There some good moments but it just did not connect tonight. Brass and drums not quite up with guard

Troopers got a good welcome. The show is nice and has one big moment of brass sustain though there were obvious stagger breathing issues. The show is good but still visually dirty.

Academy seemed less affected by the heat, though the sun had gone down by then. I like the unis and the brass book. Good energy. Drill was pretty dirty and guard seems way behind.

SOA also seemed less affected by the heat though they performed in full sun. They are extremely entertaining and have a sophisticated show. The front drops are killer and what a great sound. Very musical and lots of variety. Spread to Troopers and Academy was justified.

Caves got to perform under the lights and what a show it was. All sections of the corps are strong. If this is looking at third place, we have a really strong year.

After looking at who judged, especially music, I understand why the numbers or placements were a little odd. Should you have to have experience leading great music groups to judge marching's major league? Though Academy played pretty well, no way were they second in music ensemble. There were toomany blend issued and perc bumps compared to those around them. Crossmen music ensemble clearly better than Colts.

Edited by derbydawg

YEA Academy!!! Will be watching continued progress!

• Like 1

I was there today and the "hump" didn't seem to be as severe as it was back in our day. :smile:

It's still a heck of a hump though...

I marched there in '09 and I was there tonight too. I'd even say the same thing. But something tells me that it's much harder to see from the stands than it is from field level.

Not to say you're wrong though. It very well could have been worse.

Edited by Noname

Post on Spirit's Facebook page says there is a hump or ridge in the middle of the field that makes things interesting.

That has been the case for as long as that show has been in existence (or at least since I started going to it in 1997).

I marched there in '09 and I was there tonight too. I'd even say the same thing. But something tells me that it's much harder to see from the stands than it is from field level.

Not to say you're wrong though. It very well could have been worse.

Who knows... :smile:

I was hanging that big puffy curveball out there for someone.

Severe ... Sevierville. :tongue:

i still dont understnad why Crossmen cant get a break anybody have the answer?

Not a break . they need a honest score. By all reports they should be right in the hunt fir 12-15th not 3 points back in 17th.

Although there were some strange scores at this show.

NO VIS PERFORMANCE judge so ensemble visual was doubled.

.In Atlanta Performance

crossmen 16.00 Colts 15.7 Academy 15.4

Atlanta ensemble

Crossmen 15.8 colts 15.3 Academy 15.6 crossmen +.8 over colts & Academy

Seviervie tonight enemble visual scores.

Crossmen 15.2 colts 16.1 Academy 16.9 doubled. Crossmen -1.8 under colts crossmen -3.4 under Academy................

WOW>>>> come on DCI ................These are kids we are talking about.

• Like 1

I don't either. I saw Crossmen Thursday night in Gadsden and thought they did a great job. I would have them right in the thick of the hunt for 12th place, not 7 points back (and I say that as a Spirit alum, corps dad and unabashed honk).

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Most of us think the same.