How many Open class corps will make semi-finals?

Since no one in world class discussions groups cares, I thought I would start this topic for our enjoyment. :-)

I beleive there could be as many as 4 open class corps making semi-finals.

BDB, SCVC, OC and Spartans There could possibly be a fifth, but I am not sure if it is possible at this time.

Also, I beleive the highest ranking will be 18th by an open class corps.

What are your thoughts.

Also, will the winner of open class finals be the highest scoring open class corps in semi-fianls. I am guessing no.

Who will win Open class? That is hard to say at this time as well. It is a tight race. Since I am involved in one of these corps, I will not answer the open questions.

Who is brave enough to answer these questions????

• Like 1

I still think 2 or 3 at most. I have a feeling there will be some defending of WC from the OC onslaught.

And one I don't see mention I think is going to shake things up is MC. They still have not been in an OC show. They are the wild card right now.

Edited by WWonka

The Oregon Crusaders will beat both Blue Devils B AND the Blue Devils.

har har har.....

Seriously though, it was only a few years ago that the current top 4 in Open Class were beating Jersey Surf AND Teal Sound. I wouldn't be surprised if we see several of the top 4 Open groups in semis ranked above those two corps.

I still think 2 or 3 at most. I have a feeling there will be some defending of WC from the OC onslaught.

And one I don't see mention I think is going to shake things up is MC. They still have not been in an OC show. They are the wild card right now.

Open Class in Little Rock on July 27th.

1 Oregon Crusaders

2 Music City

This is from the DCI website. 10 points is too much to gain in 3 weeks.

For sure 2 as there are only 23 WC corps. Even if you take away 15 points in the score sheet differential, I beleive that 4 OC corps will advance to Semi Finals. The top of Open class will score in the mid to upper 70s in quarter finals. I would not be surprised if 4 do not make it in. Just a hunch. Unless, the judges do not treat them the same. That would be a shame.

Didn't realize they were both in Little Rock the night after Yukon. That's a big spread. I figured it would be closer than that.

And yeah I keep forgetting how few WC corps there are now. BITD getting that 25th spot was work. But with only 23 left I guess not so much.. LOL

I'll be brave enough to say that we are greatly underestimating the lower level WC. I'm a Open Class nut, but there are some pretty good corps in the lower third of WC. I believe BDB, SCVC and Oregon Crusaders will comfortably make semis, bumping out Pioneer. I they'll outscore, at most, Cascades and Surf. They might have a shot at Teal Sound and Mandarins. Spartans and Revolution will place 26th and 27th over Pioneer who I predict will be in 28th. I don't think Spartan's guard and Revolution's percussion will be enough to pull them into WC Semis.

Monday - BDB lead

Tuesday - SCVC-perc/ close second BDB - champion/GE/brass, OC- third/visual perf, Spartans-guard

Thursday - SCVC highest score, followed by BDB then OC.

Friday- and because this corps cleaning up well until the very last minute, OC defeat, BDB next, followed by SCVC.

• Like 1

.....it's not easy typing from a phone.

I bet, I mean, it looks like auto-correct inadvertently changed SCVC and OC placements. Weird. :)

I agree that it'll be a bit tougher taking out WC groups such as Mandarins and Pacific Crest. However, I see Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey and Teal all being within range of the top 3 Open groups.

Since no one in world class discussions groups cares, I thought I would start this topic for our enjoyment. :-)

I beleive there could be as many as 4 open class corps making semi-finals.

BDB, SCVC, OC and Spartans There could possibly be a fifth, but I am not sure if it is possible at this time.

Also, I beleive the highest ranking will be 18th by an open class corps.

What are your thoughts.

Also, will the winner of open class finals be the highest scoring open class corps in semi-fianls. I am guessing no.

Who will win Open class? That is hard to say at this time as well. It is a tight race. Since I am involved in one of these corps, I will not answer the open questions.

Who is brave enough to answer these questions????

Lol...its a only a prediction. Nobody knows whats really going to happen over the next two weeks.

However, if I were to venture a guess...I would consider the fact that BDB has won 38 of the last 39 competitions they have entered. With the only blemish, the .500 victory by SCVC over a year ago.

I couple that fact with what I have observed so far this season. I've seen all of the top Open Class shows and

although I really like SCVC's cleanliness and Oregon's visual design (very very good this season), its BDB that has the best combination of the two factors (imho). Plus their drumline is top notch which will definitely help them with their overall score.

As for OC Corps placing in WC....I look for three to make it to semi's. I've seeen Surf and Teal and Mandarins and Cascades and these Corps are pretty dang good and will be tough to beat. Keep in mind that all of these WC corps are on average 1-2 years older than the best OC corps and also have had 15-20 more 9-9's this season.

My guess is:

22. BDB

23. Cascades

24. SCVC

25. OCrusaders.

Cali.

Edited by Calistar
  • Like 1