How many Open class corps will make semi-finals?

Following that logic, (and as I've stated before) that would mean that Oregon could top Teal, just like in '08, too! (that was awesome, btw)

I agree with what jwscv87 said and am also not sure that getting an OC group up to 18th is in the cards this year. Now, what I do wonder is if we'll see more of these top tiered Open groups start programming shows that will be more in line with the World Class sheets. I mean, why not stay in Open, save money, do a limited tour, and then go out and wrangle with the WC during Finals Week?? It's unlikely that we'll see that extreme, however, I do wonder where this new (old) merger will take OC show design in the future.

Kind of like Magic when they were Div. 2? That's pretty much what they did, they were Div. 2, but have a Div. 1 show, and made FInals.

Sure, not meaning to criticize - just chiming in with an opinion. :)

It's a great opinion, I was just offering an observation. I think Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey Surf, and Teal Sound could all be in trouble. Maybe we'll see a re-match of the '08 FInals, with SCVC, BDB, Surf, OC, and Teal all squaring off.

It's a great opinion, I was just offering an observation. I think Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey Surf, and Teal Sound could all be in trouble. Maybe we'll see a re-match of the '08 FInals, with SCVC, BDB, Surf, OC, and Teal all squaring off.

It will definitely be interesting. I am a huge fan of the new format. What I don't know is, can we assume all of the top OC corps will compete? Is that a given?

I would argue that the top 5 OC corps have a shot at Pioneer. I don't think all 5 will beat Pioneer but looking at relative scores if you use a pretty favorable translation to WC sheets it could conceivably happen. That would get 3 OC corps in. Revo, in my opinion has no shot at any WC corps other than Pioneer. A 15 pt translation, which is optimistic, would put the top 4 OC corps in a dead heat with the Cascades and Jersey Surf. If all of the top 4 beat both the Cascades and Jersey Surf (unlikely IMO) then either Cascades or Jersey Surf would be out. There is a very, very remote chance that Teal Sound or Mandarins could be caught by a top 4 OC corps but they are guaranteed a semis slot. To be bumped they would have to get beat by all of the top 4 OC corps and be caught by either the Cascades or Jersey Surf. Maximum number of WC corps that could be bumped in my estimation is two.

...and I should add that it could very well be zero WC corps that get bumped. It is far from a given that three OC corps will beat Pioneer. It is too hard to know what the adjustment will be on WC sheets.

Edited by jwscv87

It will definitely be interesting. I am a huge fan of the new format. What I don't know is, can we assume all of the top OC corps will compete? Is that a given?

I think the biggest majority of the OC corps will compete. Why wouldn't they? Regardless of placement, it's one more chance to perform before you do the parade on Saturday.

I would be surprised if very many of them pass on Thursday.

I think the biggest majority of the OC corps will compete. Why wouldn't they? Regardless of placement, it's one more chance to perform before you do the parade on Saturday.

I would be surprised if very many of them pass on Thursday.

It makes sense, I would be surprised as well. I just haven't read all the details. In the early 2000's OC could compete, but only with the commitment to go WC the following year. I don't know if there are any similar stipulations on this new format. I don't think so, but do not know...

None that I have heard of. There used to be 3 nights of Div II and III. But there are not enough corps left to do that so they lost a night of performance.

I figure it was the trade off for dropping that one night and moving finals to Mich City. Makes sense and has to save some money. And the building is going to be open and show in it anyway on Thursday. This just extends the schedule a couple of hours earlier.

Edited by WWonka

It makes sense, I would be surprised as well. I just haven't read all the details. In the early 2000's OC could compete, but only with the commitment to go WC the following year. I don't know if there are any similar stipulations on this new format. I don't think so, but do not know...

Nope, it's a no pressure situation for the OC corps. They can compete on Thursday, or they can skip it. In the early 2000s, I don't think it was a requirement to go WC, because I know SCVC competed in 2000, won Div. 2, then got 17th in Semis, and are still OC to this day. I don't see why an Open Class corps would skip Prelims, really. What else would they do before the parade on Saturday?

-deleted-

Edited by Calistar

Nope, it's a no pressure situation for the OC corps. They can compete on Thursday, or they can skip it. In the early 2000s, I don't think it was a requirement to go WC, because I know SCVC competed in 2000, won Div. 2, then got 17th in Semis, and are still OC to this day. I don't see why an Open Class corps would skip Prelims, really. What else would they do before the parade on Saturday?

You are correct about the rules in 2000, but shortly after that the rule I described was put in place. I am not sure the year but it was around 2002. I think the Capital Regiment were one of the first corps it applied to. The competed in WC with a commitment to go WC the next year. Unfortunately they folded shortly after that.

You are correct about the rules in 2000, but shortly after that the rule I described was put in place. I am not sure the year but it was around 2002. I think the Capital Regiment were one of the first corps it applied to. The competed in WC with a commitment to go WC the next year. Unfortunately they folded shortly after that.

Huh, I did not know they put that rule in. Probably the reason corps weren't able to compete in both when I started marching in Open Class (Div. 2) Guess that rule ended up getting both Capital Regiment and Magic, so sad that they went out.