What others are saying about the Scouts ESOM

I think the point is (or should be) that nothing is a cinch in our business. Taste and interpretation leave lots of room for failure - or at least the perception of failure.

Lots of DCP folks take it as a given that Scouts wailing on ESOM is a sure thing. Turns out it's not. Not that lots of fans don't love it. But lots of fans (or potential fans) have different ideas, which is fine.

HH

• Like 2

I'm sure most middle school bands could sound like an "HBCU" if given the chance. Nothing that comes out of those shows sounds like anything resembling a melody or musical tone whatsoever, no offense to those who find the shows entertaining, but I would rather watch a sub par high school competition. And maybe slide down some glass into a pool of rubbing alcohol.

• Like 3

Taking a look at the thread over there, those posters are generally being pretty complimentary about the performance and very respectful of DCI. I think it's always good to hear honest opinions about what DCI is putting out there from non-drum corps fans.

Personally I have a lot of respect for the type of shows the HBCU bands put out on the field. My sister went to the Battle of the Bands at the Georgia Dome this year and she *loved* it. I'm hoping to make it myself sometime soon. :thumbup:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 2

We do get that sort of "expert" opinion on DCP too... :rolleyes:

Yes we do - see any of EUPHMMXI's 87 posts per day. :tongue:

• Like 3

Wow.

I'm paraphrasing, but that is basically what SEVERAL people alluded to or outright said in the 5 pages of that forum.

What is a HBCU band?

Garry in Vegas

I was thinking the same thing. ( like some of others really care what some nerds in some far away geeky band thinks..... geesh )

Well, that ESOM is really some of the whitest arranging I have ever heard in my life. Not very good.

" whitest " arranging ? So the opposite of this would be what ?... " blackest " arranging ?

What a silly description. I guess I like a lot of " black arranging music " and " white arranging Music " but just didn't know it.

By the way, are the classical music we routinely hear played in Drum Corps " white arranging " music or " black arranging music " by the classical composers ? Oh never mind answering. I don't really need to know if it's "white" enough or "black" enough for some folks. It's just plain downright silly to discuss in such terms, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

" whitest " arranging ? So the opposite of this would be what ?... " blackest " arranging ?

What a silly description. I guess I like a lot of " Black arranging music " and " White arranging Music " but didn't know it.

By the way, are the classical music we routinely hear played in Drum Corps " white arranging " music or " black arranging music " by the classical composers ? Oh never mind answering. I don't really need to know if it's white enough or balack enough for some folks. It's just plain silly to begin with.

So what kind of arranging did Jim Prime do last year? :tongue:

• Like 1

I'm sure most middle school bands could sound like an "HBCU" if given the chance. Nothing that comes out of those shows sounds like anything resembling a melody or musical tone whatsoever,

This is exactly what some of my non-jazz-listening friends say about jazz. The point is, people immersed in DCI have developed ears that listen for certain types of things, and people immersed in HBCU shows have developed ears that listen for OTHER types of things. It shouldn't be surprising that each simply doesn't hear what the other is achieving. One of the posters nailed it when he said the corps rendition "lacked groove". That is a big part of what HBCU shows are all about, and it has become virtually absent in DCI. I have long claimed that it is just as hard to achieve a quality, infectious groove as it is to change time signatures every third bar. It's just hard in a different way.

Reminds me of the great classical pianist Beresovsky's foray into jazz... after a short time playing jazz he concluded that jazz was easy and lost interest. Funny, because jazz audiences concluded that he totally sucked at it.