Beast of the East - Lawrence, Ma

It's been a tradition since at least the early 90s during the dry spell.

Kinda hard to argue that it isn't all about winning with a tradition like that, IMO.

• Like 1

To all the people talking about the pre-recorded material. I know that it is debatable, but the sounds that you are hearing are still be played on instruments. For example, in the beginning of the Cadets show this year. The singing voice. The member of the pit has to strike a mallet for every new phrase of the melody. It goes.

*Strike* I am an Angle of Light

*Strike* I have soared from above

*Strike* I am cloth'd with Mother's arm

etc, etc, etc

and the synth is just like any other keyboard instrument. It just sounds different (amplified). So there is room for human error with these instruments.

I'm not saying that the electronics are good or bad. I'm just saying that it does take some amount of talent on the performer's end. It's not just hitting a button and then you don't have to worry about it. Definitely not a set it and forget it deal.

First off, I thought they (Cadets) were by and far the most entertaining and my hat's off to all of the members of that Corp, and all the Corps who performed last night.

I love the fact you have attempted to justify the Voice being activated by striking a mallet... but that is just it, it is activating a pre recorded piece and while yes someone must do so at the proper I am still not and probably will never be a fan of electronics beyond the amplification for certain pit percussion. That only because it does save on some wear and tear of those Marimbas, xylophones, etc...

Otherwise, call me old fashioned if you really must... Because seriously it is my one and only major point of contention... and I hope there is no further changes in the electronic direction. That is just me now, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised later.

Best of luck to all of the Corps in Allentown, and of course at DCI Finals.

First off, I thought they (Cadets) were by and far the most entertaining and my hat's off to all of the members of that Corp, and all the Corps who performed last night.

I love the fact you have attempted to justify the Voice being activated by striking a mallet... but that is just it, it is activating a pre recorded piece and while yes someone must do so at the proper I am still not and probably will never be a fan of electronics beyond the amplification for certain pit percussion. That only because it does save on some wear and tear of those Marimbas, xylophones, etc...

Otherwise, call me old fashioned if you really must... Because seriously it is my one and only major point of contention... and I hope there is no further changes in the electronic direction. That is just me now, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised later.

Best of luck to all of the Corps in Allentown, and of course at DCI Finals.

I enjoyed there show. The sound of voice recording was off.

That is a whole lot of opinion being stated as fact right there. I don't know why haters can't understand that just because YOU don't like something and because musically and artistically ignorant fans in the audience (who would rather hear a corps play Louie, Louie and Land of 1000 Dances for their show because they "get it") don't like it, don't speak for everyone. Some of us love these shows. If you don't, that's fine. But you liking something has absolutely 0 bearing on whether or not it is good or bad. People around here try too often to correlate their dislike of a production (for whatever reason, be it because they are "haters" of the corps performing it, or because they legitimately don't like it) to how well it scores when in fact those two things are completely independent of one another.

Also I have taken many people to drum corps shows in the past and you know what? Sometimes they like BD the best, and sometimes they like Cadets, sometimes they think Cavaliers are the best. It is different for everyone. So for every 1 person you take to a show that doesn't like BD I have 1 that thinks they are amazing. If we took 20 people to a show and 12 liked Cadets and 8 liked the Blue Devils, does that mean that we should disband BD so that only the Cadets style shows exist? Because that is basically what you are saying. Or does it simply mean that in that sample of 20, 12 people had different tastes than the other 8? Crap is so "all or nothing" on DCP. It drives me insane.

Yes, that's right. The thundering chorus of boos when BD was announced the winner in Atlanta was orchestrated by people who are too stupid to know what they SHOULD like, and haters who just have it out for BD. Look, if you like to watch corps park and blow that's great... more power to ya. I don't begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. To ME, DCI has been about the astouding demand that visual programs put on the individual member, and how astounding a corps sounds while doing all that they do. It is what separated DCI from marching band, etc. Apparently, judging by the wall of boos after Atlanta, I am not the only one that feels this way. Go back in your archives as watch ANY corp at retreat after a show and see if you hear boos like that. Pick a controversial show for it's time... how about 93 Star? Controversial for it's time, but you could see and understand the demand on the corps, even if you didnt like it as a concept. People dont hate BD, they hate the show. NOT EVERYONE, but more than I have ever seen at any rate. How else can you explain the good music and AWESOME sound they put out being greeted with boos when they win? I am DESPERATE to like BD, and they make it impossible for me, and seemingly many others.

• Like 2

Home Crowd (practically) = big reaction for Cadets

Hostile Crowd = polite applause for BD

I am so glad the judges got it right though.

I was at the show. If it was a home crowd, SCV would have only received polite applause as they and Boston are competing for 7th.

I think people in general liked the Cadet show more and were waiting for something to happen to get them up while watching BD.

Kinda hard to argue that it isn't all about winning with a tradition like that, IMO.

Not to refute what you said, because frankly you can take it however you want to. But as you can see in my signature I won championships with two different organizations. My favorite years from either were years I did not win.

That all being said, I don't think any corps that is consistently in the top 4 is gunning for third place.

Edited by hboyce

Not to refute what you said, because frankly you can take it however you want to. But as you can see in my signature I won championships with two different organizations. My favorite years from either were years I did not win.

That all being said, I don't think any corps that is consistently in the top 4 is gunning for third place.

And yet the years you DID win are the only two that made it in to your signature.

• Like 2