'Ya Gotta love Allentown

No, they won percussion in perlims, while NOT making finals that year. I still think that was the only time it has ever happened. Right corps, and I believe right year, but wrong placement, sorry bro.

Well if it was the " right year " that I mentioned " 1976 ", Oakland Crusaders did finish 8th at Finals. That part I know for sure anyway ( I looked it up on Corpsrep). But something tells me that you could be right that they actually did not make finals, but in the prelims they got the highest percussion score of any Corps. I think I recall something like that ( memory sometimes fades on years ) Maybe it was '77 when they finished 15th in Prelims. But whatever the case, talk about something unusual, that sure fits the bill to finish 1st in percussion like that.... I do know that this Corps for 2, 3 years around then had an unbelievably strong and large drumline, but even that was sort of weird back then to finish 1st in drums, yet not make Finals.

Edited by BRASSO

And hey, with us licking our wounds over where the drumline is scoring, I gotta say that moving up is better than moving down. So, even if it's only one spot, it's the right direction! :thumbup:

yeah if we do only finish 9th this year then thatd be fine with me because its still an improvement. Besides, we never played for the judges score anyway, it was always for the roaring fans, isn't that right.

• Like 1

yeah if we do only finish 9th this year then thatd be fine with me because its still an improvement. Besides, we never played for the judges score anyway, it was always for the roaring fans, isn't that right.

Absolutely. One thing I've always appreciated about the Scouts is that their priority is always:

1. The Crowd

2. The members (1 and 1a, actually)

And finally...

3. Competitive placement

There's no getting around the fact that this is a competitive activity and so you NEED to be competitive...but if it's coming at the expense of the other two, then their priorities are out of order. Besides, I've always maintained that they are not mutually exclusive ideas and it is INDEED possible to be both entertaining AND competitive. They definitely were when they were winning 2 rings and experiencing a lot of success during the 90's.

Well if it was the " right year " that I mentioned " 1976 ", Oakland Crusaders did finish 8th at Finals. That part I know for sure anyway ( I looked it up on Corpsrep). But something tells me that you could be right that they actually did not make finals, but in the prelims they got the highest percussion score of any Corps. I think I recall something like that ( memory sometimes fades on years ) Maybe it was '77 when they finished 15th in Prelims. But whatever the case, talk about something unusual, that sure fits the bill to finish 1st in percussion like that.... I do know that this Corps for 2, 3 years around then had an unbelievably strong drumline, but even that was sort of weird back then to finish 1st in drums, yet not make Finals.

I think it was actually '77. I know there are a few members from that year on the boards, and they have mentioned it. All I know is that they won drums in prelims, while not making Finals. Weird how that could happen back then. Now it's almost inconceivable for a corps in 6th to take the drum title.

Yep, they would have to bolster the other captions. When is the next time Boston and Madison are together, prelims? I still think they'll fill in the 8th and 9th slot, but not sure in what order yet.

I think its now very possible that Boston beats SCV at least once before this season is over. Possibly as early as tomorrow nite if its not a rain out.

I think it was actually '77. I know there are a few members from that year on the boards, and they have mentioned it. All I know is that they won drums in prelims, while not making Finals. Weird how that could happen back then. Now it's almost inconceivable for a corps in 6th to take the drum title.

Yes, and its not one of those Drum Corps " urban myths ", as it definately happened. I agree with you that the chances of this happening today however would be next to none.

I think its now very possible that Boston beats SCV at least once before this season is over. Possibly as early as tomorrow nite if its not a rain out.

Maybe once, but I don't see them holding the position over SCV. But we will see one new face in the TOC next year, whether it's Boston or Madison, it will great to get more fans in. If it's Madison, then there will be another World Champion in the TOC. If it's Boston, then we'll have one of the oldest, and proudest corps in the TOC. Either way, more fans win. :thumbup:

Absolutely. One thing I've always appreciated about the Scouts is that their priority is always:

1. The Crowd

2. The members (1 and 1a, actually)

And finally...

3. Competitive placement

There's no getting around the fact that this is a competitive activity and so you NEED to be competitive...but if it's coming at the expense of the other two, then their priorities are out of order. Besides, I've always maintained that they are not mutually exclusive ideas and it is INDEED possible to be both entertaining AND competitive. They definitely were when they were winning 2 rings and experiencing a lot of success during the 90's.

Yeah, exactly so if they do it they do it but if they don't and only get 9th then its nbd because they still put on a one-of-kind product like always. Hopefully, they can focus on the percussion next time around.

Yes, and its not one of those Drum Corps " urban myths ", as it definately happened. I agree with you that the chances of this happening today however would be next to none.

Wish it could happen again, it would be cool to see some shake-ups like that, Phantom winning last year threw some people for a loop, so imagine if Glassmen won drums this year from 15th. Some people's heads might just explode. :devil:

• Like 1