Throw down in Allentown!

Well, I was there in section Q as well. I thought BD was very good, just not my favorite show and I sensed that the lesser response that they received was an index of that. Bachrach's (sp?) music is beautiful, just not emotionally wrenching like that of most of the final corps block. I much prefer it to last year's selections, but I do not believe it shows off their talent to best advantage. The response they get is about what I would expect from "elevator music" (drum corps on Valium).

I would like to add that Boston Crusaders' performance was exciting and visually stunning. It made me proud to be a homer for the corps. They have matured noticeably over the summer. If this corps has good member retention (they are young), they will be a force to contend with next year. I did feel that the point spread between them and SCV was too great (I actually thought they were better than SCV). There were a couple minor ensemble tears and the "hidden" factor of percussion which may have spelled the difference.

SCV show is interesting, like a drum corps connoisseur's type of show filled with nuance and delayed gratification. It felt to me like one long development which did not culminate until the last few moments of the show. Maybe I am just an impatient and boorish fan, but I don't like shows that make me feel guilty :ph34r:

Cadets' show is growing on me. The performance was powerful and compelling to say the least. I think that it is the best show on the field this year and hope they take it all in Indy!!

Regarding who will start us off next Saturday: Spirit of Atlanta a solid 12th with no one really close from my prospective. I just love their show. It has solid demand, great execution, and is truly unique to them and not cookie cutter as so many corps 10-17 tend to be. Troop good but a bit bland and safe. Academy should be ahead of Glassmen with a better show with some good appeal and very decent execution. Glassmen just didn't work this out during the winter and the brass sound is probably one of weakest of world class. Crossmen should be smoking Colts. This was not close this weekend. Colts have a good guard this year....but music captions are really suffering. Some good show ideas though. Crossmen may be playing the safe show card, but the execute and entertain much better than Colts. As others have stated, this range of corps gets better every year.

I wouldn't guite write off Troopers yet. They may not "park-and-blow" like Spirit, but, the judges love their musicallity! I also think that Troop has a nice little surprise to unveil in the next few days to push them over the top. I have to agree that Crossmen should be above Colts and think that the judges are still listening to the last few years and not this year. Academy is suffering because they just do not have the input from the judges on their show because of the lack of total shows this year. It is very difficult for a corps to tweek their show if they don't get year-long critiques from the judging community. :thumbup:

Regarding who will start us off next Saturday: Spirit of Atlanta a solid 12th with no one really close from my prospective. I just love their show. It has solid demand, great execution, and is truly unique to them and not cookie cutter as so many corps 10-17 tend to be. Troop good but a bit bland and safe. Academy should be ahead of Glassmen with a better show with some good appeal and very decent execution. Glassmen just didn't work this out during the winter and the brass sound is probably one of weakest of world class. Crossmen should be smoking Colts. This was not close this weekend. Colts have a good guard this year....but music captions are really suffering. Some good show ideas though. Crossmen may be playing the safe show card, but the execute and entertain much better than Colts. As others have stated, this range of corps gets better every year.

Actually, the demanding portions of Spirit's music are played while they are parked. To use the words "Bland and Safe" to describe Troopers show this year is to have no idea of what demand really is. I think Trooper's show is much more mature than Spirit's and more demanding.

Boston's home show to a big regional? Corps always do better at their home show, that's not some big conspiracy. SO maybe yesterday was the anomaly, not today?

If you've been a fan the last few years, you'll see that no Corps really gets a bump in scores at any " home show ". If you look at the data... choose any Corps you want in World Class... go back the last 6 years, there is no bump in scores at any Corps " home show " in any show as a result of them being " home ". Corps get bumps ( or lower scores ) as the result of two primary things ( of equal weight in my opinion ) 1) performance and 2) judging draw. There is no " home show " factor in scores where Corps get a bump in score by playing where they fund raise the most in the country, or where their marching members are mostly from. As a matter of fact I have no idea what the phrase " home show " bump means. The judging captions do not weigh audience considerations at all in the scoring, so assuming all the Corps get good rest and practice time, it doesn't matter in scores if they are " home ", in California, or in Texas or anyplace else for that matter these days re. scores. The Crossmen ( for just one example ) competed in their ( non home show ), but home town of San Antonio, Texas this year. Nobody thinks they got a bump in score in the show in their "home" town of San Antonio, TX. over Corps from outside the state of Texas that I'm aware of. Finally, Boston lost to the Madison Scouts by 2.4 points this season in Boston's sponsored 1st " home show " in Quincy Mass.... Home shows are non factors re. the scores.

Edited by BRASSO

Question to be filed in the oddly specific scoring complaints department: Does anyone who was at the show have any clue why Pacific Crest received a just a 14 in guard? They haven't been scored that low since the beginning of July, which makes tonight's number a little more than a random hiccup.

OK if someone wants to PM rather than bother the entire thread with a reply.

Because Marie was judging guard. She does really bizarre things sometimes most times.

NOPE...I was at both shows...It was definitely a bad call IMO.

Since you were at both the shows in Lawrence on Thurs. ( Boston 2.5 tenths in back of SCV), and last nite in Allentown where Boston was buried by over 2 points by SCV, did you think that SCV improved their performance, or did Boston have a flat night ? From the reports we heard, many thought Boston was right there, or perhaps even better than SCV last night. What happened Liahona, from your perspective ? Boston got a very low Guard score. Was SCV the 2nd best Guard of the night in your opinion ? SCV came in 2nd in Guard beating the Cadets Guard with a 18.70...... the same guard judge gave the Cavs Guard a 18.90 in Allentown for additional perspective. Is the SCV Guard about as good as the Cavaliers Guard and better than The Cadets (and Phantom's) Guard ? If so, thats news to me. These scores sure are interesting this year. Its fun.

Edited by BRASSO

Well I could make a little hat... a broach....

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Actually, the demanding portions of Spirit's music are played while they are parked. To use the words "Bland and Safe" to describe Troopers show this year is to have no idea of what demand really is. I think Trooper's show is much more mature than Spirit's and more demanding.

"Bland and Safe" is homer-speak for "The closest competition"! If loud was the only sign of a great show Madison would be the DCI champion hands down! Troopers are just a few tweeks, additions, and surprises from possibly making it into finals night. :thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

• Like 1

The zipper, or DNA helix as I like to call it, was much better tonight than what I saw on FN.

"Some time, Hop, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one... for the Zipper." :ph34r:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

"Bland and Safe" is homer-speak for "The closest competition"! If loud was the only sign of a great show Madison would be the DCI champion hands down! Troopers are just a few tweeks, additions, and surprises from possibly making it into finals night. :thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

After reading your posts all season, I guess it's not surprising that you would dismiss westcoastblue's comments, as legit as they are, as being mere "homer-speak," even though westcoastblue is a Blue Devils alum and only lists BD shows among favorite all-time shows.

Homer speak??? No, westcoastblue just happens to think Spirit is better than Troopers this year, as do the majority of the posters I've seen in recent weeks (not to mention the judges).

Good luck to the Troopers, Spirit and ALL of the corps next week in Indy.