The New Giant Meadowland

I agree a lot of the new ideas from the TOC shows are good ones. But there's no reason these ideas needed a TOC circuit to try them out. I think most people don't know or care about the politics of the G8, and they just look at a list of nearby shows, and pick which one has the most corps they want to see for the right price.

Folks talking about the different sheets and voting corps in and out of the G7/G8/TOC... Makes me wonder if TOC is credited as a success by DCI and it continues, how long it will be till there really is a push to explicitly split World Class into two divisions. Having a unified prelims with WC and OC does take one necessary step in that direction. If a new Universe Class is created, they'd need to participate in the same prelims/semis/finals as the rest...

I already see one mandatory move for the Universe Class

milky-way-map_atlas-of-the-universe.jpg

Edited by BarryMorgan

interesting show last night - really enjoyed each and every corps

My take aways:

SCV is starting to get their arms wrapped around their program - need another month to really "finish" it but I really enjoyed their performance much more than earlier in the year

Cavaliers - very solid corps but dirtier than I expected - marched a couple holes, intervals suffered, folks literally lost their places in the drill - also a bit too much on the "gimmicks" for me - I was figuring the drum major would be conducting upside down by the end. I LOVED last year - so a bit let down by their program this year. Solid 3rd place corps at finals IMO - with a substantial gap

Regiment - crowd ATE them up - looked great and really sold the show - guard was stunning - not the "toughest book" but sold the story and the emotion - which is the goal after all - very effective! Second biggest reaction of the night. Would not be surprised if they finished in fourth - and took out Crown - a stretch but within reach

BD - extremely talented and clean. Very effective program this year - loved the music book and the use of the props - some really interesting moments - best marching and intervals on the field last night. Guard is very good once again but not as well "staged" as the last few years.

Crown - obviously terrific corps. Some programming issues in the show - a bit too "flat" a show from beginning to end with ballad shoved in the middle. Awkward fit IMO. Brass is great, but drums and guard - while strong - are lost in the shuffle visually and musically too often. Needed more variety in temp, dynamics. The "rock star" stuff got old for me about half way through the performance - overused the light poles, overused the mosh-pit falls, overused the rock star hand gestures. All programming issues that take nothing away from the performers. Followed Phantom - and fell flat on the crowd after Phantom - which I put down to design.

Cadets - getting cleaner! The ending is a bit oversold for my taste but the program is very effective and crowd loved it. Some really demanding "exposed" marching - moving huge shapes and the "zipper" move is extreme exposure. Still some cleaning to do. Guard has come a long way - best outing for them in a few years

Two horse race in my opinion - BD/Cadets will come down to execution - GE is Cadets, Execution is BD. If Cadets can finish closing the execution gap then they will win. If they don't BD will win

Either way we'll have a great new champion

Terrific year!!

(revised to include Crown)

Loved it,

George.

Edited by George Dixon