Al Chez

Some may not have have heard that TOC was designed to have one guest judge at each event, someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience. The fact that Al Chez was available and he knows drum corps was a huge catch for the judging panel. Al's coming at the activity from the perspective of a professional musical entertainer with his experience in the Letterman band. He knows what it's like to entertain the audience.

While TOC was set up to have a guest judge in alternating captions, it didn't always work out and a regular judge had to fill in at some shows.

For anyone who has stated on DCP that the judges are too predictable, the guest judge mixes things up a bit.

It's all good.

• Like 5

Some may not have have heard that TOC was designed to have one guest judge at each event, someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience. The fact that Al Chez was available and he knows drum corps was a huge catch for the judging panel. Al's coming at the activity from the perspective of a professional musical entertainer with his experience in the Letterman band. He knows what it's like to entertain the audience.

While TOC was set up to have a guest judge in alternating captions, it didn't always work out and a regular judge had to fill in at some shows.

For anyone who has stated on DCP that the judges are too predictable, the guest judge mixes things up a bit.

It's all good.

Completely agree.

The TOC thing was supposed to be, in some ways, experimental. Having a different perspective on the judging panel fits that bill.

Plus, it's not like Al rode in yesterday on a turnip truck. LOL. He knows his stuff.

• Like 2

No one answered the original question..What is amazing to me is everyone takes these scores so seriously..throw them out..they will have no bearing on Indy. To have BD 5th in GE music is ludricrous. New sheets or old sheets.

I take the long view. It will make the Blue Devils... and all Corps for that matter,.. in this off season recalibrate their shows to the new recalibration of the sheets. And you can take that to the bank. These scores... particularly in the " General Effect " captions will alter the activity to reflect what we are seeing on the experimental TOC judging sheets.

Some may not have have heard that TOC was designed to have one guest judge at each event, someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience.

That is quite possibly the stupidest rule change I have ever heard in what is supposed to be a competitive activity. This TOC crap sounds like American Idol...

I would love to have the best show but lose by 20 points because Mariah Carey was the guest judge and doesn't know crap about anything.

• Like 3

That is quite possibly the stupidest rule change I have ever heard in what is supposed to be a competitive activity. This TOC crap sounds like American Idol...

I would love to have the best show but lose by 20 points because Mariah Carey was the guest judge and doesn't know crap about anything.

Except it's not a rules change...it's an experiment the TOC corps proposed and while it adds some uncertainty to the event, it also adds some excitement.

Not that anyone's been asking for more excitement.

• Like 2

I can't comment on his judging, but he was notorious for giving out nipple tweaks in the showers prior to a show.

Well then, that's why he judged the way he did. That's a sub-caption on the TOC sheets.

Except it's not a rules change...it's an experiment the TOC corps proposed and while it adds some uncertainty to the event, it also adds some excitement.

Not that anyone's been asking for more excitement.

Ok I'm sorry...that is the stupidest experiment in judging I have ever heard :)

I am very surprised by Phantom and their placement. WHAT A HORNLINE!!!! I STILL HAVE GOOSEBUMPS. Had them over BD!! I know one caption, does not a 1st place corps make but WOW!!!

I don't understand what anyone is seeing in BD's show this year. I had great seats to their performance last night and I have to say, other than the stigma of the Blue Devils, I considered getting up to grab some Nacho's. Entertaining- sure. 1st place caliber... compared to the other performances of the evening...no.

Cadets hands down deserve to win GE. The concept they have created and are selling throughout their performance is incredible. (Any corps who tosses a horn 100 feet into the air and lets it smash down onto the turf for effect deserves consideration :devil:).

• Like 1

Ok I'm sorry...that is the stupidest experiment in judging I have ever heard :)

Again - its not like they brought in a middle school chorus teacher to judge... It may be a 'guest judge', but when that person has 40 years of experience in drum corps, it's hardly some hokey reality tv show gimmick....

• Like 1