Al Chez

I understand that Mike Boo will be doing a press release on this a little later, but I got it from a good source that the "experimental" judge in Indy will be none other than....Peyton Manning.

He's very familiar with the acoustics of LOS and has a good bit of experience with marching music ensembles, once conducting the University of Tennessee band.

My money is going on Crown.

• Like 2

Some may not have have heard that TOC was designed to have one guest judge at each event, someone who was an expert in their field but could even have no corps experience. The fact that Al Chez was available and he knows drum corps was a huge catch for the judging panel. Al's coming at the activity from the perspective of a professional musical entertainer with his experience in the Letterman band. He knows what it's like to entertain the audience.

While TOC was set up to have a guest judge in alternating captions, it didn't always work out and a regular judge had to fill in at some shows.

For anyone who has stated on DCP that the judges are too predictable, the guest judge mixes things up a bit.

It's all good.

I agree with Mr. Boo that this is a worthy experiment.

The idea that an accomplished and respected professional musician can't effectively assess college and high-school aged performers is absurd on face. That's not to say that everyone will agree with his evaluation, or that a guest judge doesn't need a solid understanding of the activity. But if his numbers fall that far outside the norm then my gut reaction is that perhaps overhauling the sheets really is a good idea, lest we all sink into an abyss of esoteric goo.

In any case, it doesn't sound like he did more than displeasure fans of certain corps, which most regular judges manage to do anyway.

Chris

That is quite possibly the stupidest rule change I have ever heard in what is supposed to be a competitive activity. This TOC crap sounds like American Idol...

I would love to have the best show but lose by 20 points because Mariah Carey was the guest judge and doesn't know crap about anything.

Its just part of the natural evolutionary change of the activity. DCI wants to grow an audience base. It's tired of bringing in one new fan, to replace the 3 or 4 that left.

DCI Drum Corps... and its typical audience base... is FAR, FAR removed from " American Idol ", and that typical audience base. Your future fears that DCI Drum Corps.. and its audience... will become like " American Idol " is overblown and unfounded in my opinion. So fear not.

Edited by BRASSO

Al Chez (Dave Letterman band) judged GE Music last night at the TOC show. Anyone know if he's ever judged before?

Great idea to have Al Chez judge. thumbup.gif

Probably the "guest judge" thing is a good idea, but they can't really expect non-drum corps people to understand numbers management, can they?

Perhaps a better application would be to have Guest Judge X simply rank the corps in some caption(1-8), and have that caption be "overall effect", contributing an equivalent # of points.

• Like 1

I understand that Mike Boo will be doing a press release on this a little later, but I got it from a good source that the "experimental" judge in Indy will be none other than....Peyton Manning.

He's very familiar with the acoustics of LOS and has a good bit of experience with marching music ensembles, once conducting the University of Tennessee band.

My money is going on Crown.

Sports fans know more about Peyton Manning than DCI fans do about any DCI judge.

I don't know for sure, but if you took a poll, it'd be pretty darn close if fans would want Marie Czapinski judging Guard or Peyton Manning judging Music Ensemble. Depending upon my mood at the moment, I just might opt for the latter.

Edited by BRASSO

Al Chez comes from a different life experience...

For example, his current employer , David Letterman, tells Al and the rest of the band... " entertain the millions around the globe in my audience "

to which Al turns to Paul and says "Guess Leno's a rerun tonight."

• Like 1