Which World Class Corps has the best music, past 10 years?

Crown and its not even close. I didnt like the extraneous stuff in 04 but love the brass in that show, and 05 was when i really started to love them. Only gotten better since for the most part.

Bluecoats mightve been close, as i really liked what they were doing in the 05-08 time, but since then not as much ( i love creep this year, but the rest doesnt do much or me).

Edited by AlexL

Crown (yes even 2001 when they danced with tires and 2002 when they wore pink togas) and Regiment

The end

Crossmen 2000-2004 maybe even 05. And now this year they have my absolute favorite music book. (It's a shame the music judges don't recognize music though when they hear it anymore...)

Phantom and Crown. Crown since 03. Phantom since the beginning of their existence.

Bluecoats are usually a good listen.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Phantom Regiment first, SCV a very close second.

For third, I'll go a different tack and say the Cavaliers. 2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006 were all great musical shows. Crown's coming on strong, but really I've only been impressed with Klesch's books the last two years. I think their 2008 show is badly over-rated, though most everyone will disagree with me.

• Like 2

Phantom Regiment first, SCV a very close second.

For third, I'll go a different tack and say the Cavaliers. 2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006 were all great musical shows. Crown's coming on strong, but really I've only been impressed with Klesch's books the last two years. I think their 2008 show is badly over-rated, though most everyone will disagree with me.

Yeah i definitely disagree with you on that last part.....but you really lost me in the beginning with the SCV love. C'mon there was 2004...and ?? yeah nope. Key has got to go

I'm biased because I adore the Cavaliers, but I find my self singing 2003 (Spin Cycle) and 2004 (007) on a regular basis.

Other faves are SCV doing Scheherazade and Madison Scouts doing Carmen.

I was just recently listening to the "original music" shows for the Cavaliers and marveling at how well written they are, especially to an arranger/composer such as myself.

I'd have to say Cavaliers for the first part of the decade,

Then Crown and Phantom.

• Like 1

Yeah i definitely disagree with you on that last part.....but you really lost me in the beginning with the SCV love. C'mon there was 2004...and ?? yeah nope. Key has got to go

2005 was good as well. Since then.... eh.

Cavaliers 2000,2002,2003,2004,2006,2008,2010

Not everyone's cup of tea but I personally love the Cavaliers style of music!

:thumbup:

This is a great question to think about (brings back many great memories), though a bit tricky. I decided to expand it to 12 years because 2000 had some REALLY great music, and sometimes, I just can't bear to play by the rules. :-)

So, here are the shows of those twelve that I still like to hear:

Gold Medal:

SCV--9 of 12 (00, 01, 04-09, 11)

Favorite moments: Strangely, I really like this year's music. Ballet for Martha touched me deeply. I'm always a fan of Ravel. And Short Ride in a Fast Machine always makes me smile.

Silver Medal:

Cadets--8 of 12 (00-03, 07-10)

Favorite moments: An American Revial ("the pledge" never fails to choke me up). Malaguena from someone other than the Scouts? Cool was, well COOL.

Bronze Medal:

Cavies--7.5 of 12 (00, 03-07, 10, 11*)

*except the parts the corps doesn't actually play live.

007--'nuff said. Niagara Falls remains one of my favorite musical moments ever. In Spin Cycle, I really enjoy the inversion of the theme at the end (as the corps reverses the opening visual material, too.)

Honorable mention:

BD--7 of 12 (00-05, 09)

They actually played (with brass, not synth pianos) the main theme of Gershwin's Concerto in F, Movement III (unlike MANY other corps who have claimed to "play" it)--and this pianist was impressed (and wowed). More great Gershwin in 01-02! I love 00 if for no other reason than the "psycho" theme.