Blue Stars - Let's Look at Their Show

I don't think the scaffolding was a bad idea at all. What they do with it, or more specifically what they don't, is bad idea central. It's one of those things that in other hands might have been amazing, and really might added a dimensional element Blue Stars and other corps lack.

When I saw and heard Blue Stars in the theater in June, I *loved* it. I did think the drill was cluttered, but the show connected really well with me and many others in the theater. When I saw it last night, I was really disappointed. Everything I thought I liked ended up gutted or just....dirty. The only section that really worked well was the drum solo/feature section with the cool electronic groove underneath (which is odd, because I didn't like that in June).

I'll agree with all this.

I think theyre a bit underscored (should be closer to Madison\BK) but yeah, when i saw the show last night even i was a bit disappointed by some of the things id liked that were gutted to try to clean the show. They made some fairly large changes visually in early july, but they werent really the right changes to take advantage of the giant prop (if you put something like that out there, you better use it, and use it well, or the first question will be 'why do you have this massive thing out here?'). I got to see them 4 times (rehearsal in june in iowa, theater, minneapolis, theater), and while yes it was cleaner now, i mightve liked the show more early on. They had a not so good run last night though too, so that may have been part of that.

I'll also agree with Bozz, that id like to see them just come out with straight up drum corps, get rid of the props next year.

I'll disagree with anyone that says their music isnt very good though. Perhaps its because im a big fan of the bourne\matrix movies, but i do like them from a music standpoint this year. Just never got a visual design that worked well enough to keep them at 8th or above.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 2

That's interesting. I hadn't realized that there were elements in even the best high school band shows that were too difficult for drum corps, but I haven't followed BOA. Could you elaborate?

Tarpon Springs musical book the year they did the similar show (maybe called 'Under Cover' or 'Trilogy' or something Like that) was challenging it was all up tempo, in the 180+ range most of the show, with TONS of black on the page. The show hadnso many large wind features of sixteenth notes in almost every movement; when a Tarpon Springs performed it was often resembling a musical clinic on the field! I taught that same show to another band, WMD while we had success locally our winds never were able to match the technical proficiency of Tarpon Springs. Blue Stars version of the TSHS show kept some of the melodic motifs as transition through lines (motifs that were way more explored in TSHS show), but none of the crazy wind features. Even Blue Stars' ballad, which was the movement most similar to TSHS, didn't include the cool front ensemble mallet accel/deaccel phrases TSHS pit had.

IMHO, Blue Stars show took out too much music, but there wasn't a lot of musical consistency in their brass or pit book to sustain some of the ideas they were hoping to convey.

Also, the way TSHS used their scaffolding was off the hook compared to Blue Stars: it was a major part of the visual design, not just a gaudy monstrosity taking up valuable real-estate.

Seriously, though: google or YouTube search Tarpon Springs 2009. You'll find an early season show, but you'll get the gist of the design.

That's interesting. I hadn't realized that there were elements in even the best high school band shows that were too difficult for drum corps, but I haven't followed BOA. Could you elaborate?

Not sure I agree with him, but in his defense there are two things you're not seeing. First, the school he mentioned is a performing arts magnet school. These are kids who "major" in the different performing arts while also pursuing a regular high school curriculum. They are directed by Kevin Ford, BTW, so you can easily see the connection with Blue Stars here.

Second, part of what made the Tarpon Springs show so strong was its seamless integration of the ensemble with both electronics and more props than you could ever possibly imagine - more props than a drum corps could EVER handle. Their props, unlike the props (and electronics) of most BOA bands, are effective. The Tarpon Springs band and especially their design staff do a lot of things exceptionally well, but much of what they do there so successfully from an audience standpoint will not ever appear in a DCI show unless a LOT changes - probably not changing for the better.

One more thing abot the props. IMO, what made Le Tour and Houdini great had little if anything to go with the props. The well arranged and performed music with drill written for the capability of the corps is what sold those shows. IMO you could have pulled all the props from those shows and you still had 8th place corps. The last 3 years have seen big visual additions from a prop standpoint mid to late season. The visuals added to the big front field wall in 09, 10, cityscape this year, etc... none of which have impacted vis scores, at all. It's a waste of money and effort.

Amen.

And again, Blue Stars show is ok, and it is a different snow than Tarpon Springs show. It almost felt to me like they wanted ton run with a great show concept and make it something different for Blue Stars. However, the snows are way too similar, IMO, to not discuss it.

Not sure I agree with him, but in his defense there are two things you're not seeing. First, the school he mentioned is a performing arts magnet school. These are kids who "major" in the different performing arts while also pursuing a regular high school curriculum. They are directed by Kevin Ford, BTW, so you can easily see the connection with Blue Stars here.

Second, part of what made the Tarpon Springs show so strong was its seamless integration of the ensemble with both electronics and more props than you could ever possibly imagine - more props than a drum corps could EVER handle. Their props, unlike the props (and electronics) of most BOA bands, are effective. The Tarpon Springs band and especially their design staff do a lot of things exceptionally well, but much of what they do there so successfully from an audience standpoint will not ever appear in a DCI show unless a LOT changes - probably not changing for the better.

This is all true: what works for boa will not work for dci necessarily. I'm speaking more from a purely Design/conceptual standpoint, I think Blue Stars design misses the mark, while the show they were influenced by did not.

The design team (who I think is fantastic) simply struck out on this effort. It has cool moments but that's it... moments and not an entire show. I think the show finished before it ended and had about 3 different openings sequences that could of been "openers" in there own right.

Music wise, they are about the same level, no drop off, they play well and the drum line is, at times, top 6 quality.

The big problem is visual, they are very inconsistent with technique and execution, the guard is not as solid (or staged as well) as years past. The design seems like an exercise in fast tempo rotation of blocks... sure it is hard but does it add anything? Are you seeing what you hear? Speaking of hard, sure... it's hard but not being executed at all times? Scaffolding, if your going to use it, use it! I really don't think it is lack of field coverage, it is that you do loose clarity at times.

Love my corps though, the members rock and are very talented. Just not my favorite show.

Edited by CloudHype

After the cinacast viewing I felt like they did a good job of using the ramps. They are not on them the entire show, but they were used a good bit.

• Like 1

I have not liked the Blue Stars shows the last couple years due to too many props. It's funny I like this years show due to the giant ramp/bridge looking thing in the middle of the field. It was cool when the tenors were standing up there playing.

Edited by Kansan

Perhaps we should be examining the design flaws of corps who did not make the top 12.......just saying. Considering the level of competition in the world class making it to the big show is a major accomplishment.....especially considering that less than 10 years ago the Blue Stars marched with under 60 members.

• Like 3