Cavies

I love the Cavies. Probably my favorite corps of all time. You guys are doing a great job this season with your show. I love it.

With that said this show has the same feel of many of your shows from the past. Its all too familiar. Sort of a cross section of 007 and Machine.

I would really like to see Cavies 2012 and beyond step out of the box and do something a bit different. Not sure what that is but something different.

I love the fact that Carolina Crown does something totally off the wall every year but somehow they seem to keep their identity in tact.

Please do the same.

Regards..

A loyal fan.

I expect they'll try something different as soon as what they're doing stops working. I think they broke form somewhat in 2009--and came in fourth for the first time in 11 years.

Good point, and I think a lot of corps (read: design teams) do the same. Madison's horn trills, Bluecoats' opening set is the horns and drums outlining the field, and go somewhere from there, Boston used to start on the 50 for a few years in a row (99-2000 at least). These may be small examples, but there are a few things popping up from 2010 or 2009 in this year's shows.

Crown (and some other groups) combining different songs into one chart (most notably, Somewhere/Somewhere Over the Rainbow).

Think about it. Ain't nothin' wrong with a lil' repeatin'.

My favorite Cavaliers show was 1992.

I've been saying I'd like to see them do something similar in style to that.

I love the Cavies. Probably my favorite corps of all time. You guys are doing a great job this season with your show. I love it.

With that said this show has the same feel of many of your shows from the past. Its all too familiar. Sort of a cross section of 007 and Machine.

I would really like to see Cavies 2012 and beyond step out of the box and do something a bit different. Not sure what that is but something different.

I love the fact that Carolina Crown does something totally off the wall every year but somehow they seem to keep their identity in tact.

Please do the same.

Regards..

A loyal fan.

I don't have a real problem with you thinking this way, but I am pretty shocked that you DO think this way. Something different? Upside-down playing/conducting is not different? Have you seen their guard uniforms? That's not hideous...er...I mean different? The weird show in general...that's not...you get the point. I love what the Cavies do. Only thing I dislike in their show is the electronic samples which sound like garbage to me. But you can make the same argument with Cavies as you can with the Blue Devils. Why change a winning formula? That being said, I still stick to my original thought, which was: I think there are enough different things in this year's Cavaliers show to differentiate it from last year's show and every other show they have done, in fact. I never once thought of 007 or Machine during their show this year. Maybe Samurai because they added the jump over move in the end drill, but that is it (and that is awesome.)

Edited by Cardman

Please do the same.

Regards..

A loyal fan.

I agree completely with what you are saying. However, it's akin to listening to an artist for a long time and then say, "Why don't they do something different"? If you listened to Jewel a lot, and really liked her (which I do), at some point would you say I wish she would do something different? Maybe, but the problem is she can't...she's Jewel. Cavaliers are what they are (i.e. feels the same even though its not) because it's who they are. Their design staff is the most stable in the activity, its in their DNA, its who they are. So just enjoy it and thank your lucky stars you don't have to compete with them.

I think this year's show is great. Weird, but great. Loud, great drums, lots of gimmicks (hey, it's cavies), a very creative guard.

• Like 1

I'd quite like to see them move away from the we're a bit mad and we're a bit crazy themes of the last two years.

It's been great but being unpredictable every year can end up being... predictable.

Having read that back it sound like I'm not a fan of what they've been doing but I am, they're still amazing to watch.

The way I see it. They're very very good. And very very entertaining--- This is especially true for your average joe high school bando commando fan who sees a show once a year and doesn't remember them much from year to year because they do not follow the activity like we on the forums do. They make up the majority.