Drum Score

Carolina Crown Drum Score Surge, due to:  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Carolina Crown Drum Score Surge, due to:

• Inflation of score by J.J. Pipitone
    • Killer Performance by the Drumline at the Semis
    • Error on the score sheet
    • None of the above

I voted for JJ impacting scores. He has consistenly been out of sync with other judges, and for whatever reason when he judges SCV they typically drop at least one position. Same thing happend to Phantom last year, so perhaps the gentleman from Grapevine has an issue with the gentleman from Denton??

Judging conspiracy theories aside I had an interesting conversation with my seat mate at last nights show. Watching the percussion judge running back and forth, dodging the drill, picking up dropped equipment, etc, there is no way that they can listen and judge the entire drumline (battery and pit) fairly. In the case of the Cadets battery you've got a split section, often on opposites sides of the field, and ofter playing independently......how do you judge that???

I'd like to see DCI either put the judge on the 50 in about row 5 or better yet, employ two percussion judges for at least finals week. Have one doing what they do today and have another judging the pit and the overall percussion performance, then combine the scores.

Didn't DCI try two percussion judges once?

• Like 2

I think DCI should consider 3 -- one sampling the battery, one for the front ensemble, and one up top.

I know nothing about anything.... BUT, I completely agree with this. I am blown away by what these kids in the pits are doing this year, (well, every year). Yet, I rarely see the perc judge in front of them, (it seems). I've always wondered how much the pit's performance factors into the overall score.

I know nothing about anything.... BUT, I completely agree with this. I am blown away by what these kids in the pits are doing this year, (well, every year). Yet, I rarely see the perc judge in front of them, (it seems). I've always wondered how much the pit's performance factors into the overall score.

Um..I was kind of poking fun at drummers (who always take themselves and what they do just a bit too seriously) so...

Sorry -- guess I should have been more obvious.doh.gif

That being said -- I do agree with you about the pit. They seem to get sampled when the judge gets around to it and their contribution is largely missed by guys with their heads 2 inches from a snare drum cool.gif

I think DCI should consider 3 -- one sampling the battery, one for the front ensemble, and one up top.

I honestly think two is sufficient if they break it up with one performance judge on the field and one ensemble judge in the box. I think that's how it used to be for awhile, but DCI cut back to save $.

On the flip side, it is equally difficult for the brass judge to sample the entire section from the field. If you think about it: the brass and percussion judges' job is to sample individual players' technique, musicality in relation to playing within immediate ensemble (for example, one trumpet's individual tone, articulation, quality of sound + his ability to play with the rest of the 2nd trumpets around him), and the Music ensemble judge's job is to sample the full music ensemble and how the entire ensemble plays to together, then the current system is adequate. I think most fans misconstrue, to an extent, the specific purpose of the sheets.

Maybe a better determination for 'High Percussion" and "High Brass" is to average Percussion/Brass score w/Music Ensemble number to truly determine which brass & percussion sections are the best individually & ensemble wise.

*edit*

Yes, I kinda knew you were being facetious with your response, but I nonetheless ran with it to try and make my point :satisfied:

Edited by perc2100

So after tonight's score and recap, I have cast my vote for " Inflation of score by J.J. Pipitone" Crown scored 18.6 tonight.

To recap:

Murfeesboro: 18.80

Salem: 18.50

Warrenton: 18.90

Allentown: 18.60

TOC Grand Finale: 18.50

Prelims: 18.30

Semi's: 19.20

Finals: 18.60

I honestly think two is sufficient if they break it up with one performance judge on the field and one ensemble judge in the box. I think that's how it used to be for awhile, but DCI cut back to save $.

On the flip side, it is equally difficult for the brass judge to sample the entire section from the field. If you think about it: the brass and percussion judges' job is to sample individual players' technique, musicality in relation to playing within immediate ensemble (for example, one trumpet's individual tone, articulation, quality of sound + his ability to play with the rest of the 2nd trumpets around him), and the Music ensemble judge's job is to sample the full music ensemble and how the entire ensemble plays to together, then the current system is adequate. I think most fans misconstrue, to an extent, the specific purpose of the sheets.

Maybe a better determination for 'High Percussion" and "High Brass" is to average Percussion/Brass score w/Music Ensemble number to truly determine which brass & percussion sections are the best individually & ensemble wise.

*edit*

Yes, I kinda knew you were being facetious with your response, but I nonetheless ran with it to try and make my point :satisfied:

maybe it's time percussion and brass get upstairs judges again and do away with the single ensemble sheet

Agreed