Cadets contra went down at semis

While I certainly understand the sympathetic nature to someone that falls, lets hope that a marcher falling, could not potentially " raise your Corps score " if the recovery was a super duper one. Otherwise, to follow such logic to it's ridiculous extreme, Corps could actually begin to practice falling down and getting up with dexterity and aplomb in order to squeeze a few more tenths of of a show performance.

I'm for not negatively impacting a Corps show score to any major degree if a marcher falls. But the notion that a fall could " actually raise your score " in any way, shape, or form ? Fagetttaboutitt.

I agree with you... There have been posts on here saying things like "Falls Happen" which just plain is not the case... I mean they DO happen but they are SOMEONES FAULT If you know your foot placement and know your body mechanics this should NOT happen. It is a MISTAKE plain and simple and should count against the shows total score... NO IT SHOULD NOT BE POINTS or any such thing, but it should count, as in all frankness THE MARCHER HAS LOST PHYSICAL CONTROL AND GOES DOWN... This is not something that should help improve your score just because you RECOVERED from LOSING CONTROL of your body.

I agree with you... There have been posts on here saying things like "Falls Happen" which just plain is not the case... I mean they DO happen but they are SOMEONES FAULT If you know your foot placement and know your body mechanics this should NOT happen. It is a MISTAKE plain and simple and should count against the shows total score... NO IT SHOULD NOT BE POINTS or any such thing, but it should count, as in all frankness THE MARCHER HAS LOST PHYSICAL CONTROL AND GOES DOWN... This is not something that should help improve your score just because you RECOVERED from LOSING CONTROL of your body.

...well, Tony, while you have a point, there are many intangibles that could come into play causing footing problems. Firstly, the surface you are marching on may not be perfectly level or in great condition(carpets can tear...all the newer surfaces are a "rug" of sorts, there are bubbles occasionally...grass fields; well you gotta know about variables involved with home-grown turf)...maybe you picked-up a pebble in your Dinkle without noticing until just the right moment. Shoelaces fail. I think the point I'm making is that no judge in the heat of battle really has time to assess the "why" of any given fall if they aren't right absolutely *there* to see it...what they usually will see is the *result* of the fall. I tend to lean in the way of no-fault insurance...

cg

Think it needs to be said again ... Jwillis35 mentioned this in the "Semi" thread, but the Contra member did recover quickly and positioned himself spot on to step into the arch that moves into the company front ...

Even though many of us saw him go down, the zipper line actually hid him to a degree ...

I attended the majority of the Quarterfinals, but only watched the top 8 last night ...

The falls I saw yesterday ...

Boston Snare go down ... actually thought he was hurt ...

Cavies member go down

Cadet Tuba/Contra ...

There were 2 Boston snares that went down. I saw one, but heard the age out talking about the bad run because of the 2 snare falls afterwards.

I heard someone from crown fell last year during their finals performance. I wonder if that hurt their score. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And I agree with you. Completely. I even enjoy the caps. It tells me you're righter than right.

All these insane, sheets-naive corps who do all these ridiculously hard things and take such risks to challenge themselves and the audience, and commit to innovate year after year, should be ticked into submission.

I say: slow it down. Park and blow. Take a chair. Take it easy. Don't aim too high, brah. Just execute what you have.

If you execute the ordinary perfectly, voila, it becomes extraordinary. It's, like, totally magic. And if it isn't magic enough this year to win, the MISTAKE is probably the JUDGES' FAULT. (See how the caps work their magic?)

I say: Play to the sheets, not to an audience's or an artistic standard, and then win that way, using the same proven formula, and finally, for decades, lord it over everyone else about how they don't 'execute' well enough to win enough.

I proclaim: Let us all bow down and kiss their rings.

So now that I've kissed all of them, I feel better. Relieved. Reborn. I know my place now.

It's all good, dude. We all know that if you wipe out on Mavericks, you're a kook, and it's your fault. Better to try to surf waist-high waves. Perfectly, though. But don't even try to hum while you do it. That would be too risky.

• Like 2

There were 2 Boston snares that went down. I saw one, but heard the age out talking about the bad run because of the 2 snare falls afterwards.

Boston's Percussion score/ placement did go down from Quarters to Semi's, but thats life. Sometimes you're the bird and sometimes you're the windshield.

Tonite we'll find out if Boston's percussion is going to be the bird or the windshield. They were 11th last night in percussion. Can they kick it up a placement notch or two in percussion ? Its up to them... as well as all the other Corps Percussion sections.

Edited by BRASSO

I say: Play to the sheets, not to an audience's or an artistic standard, and then win that way, using the same proven formula, and finally, for decades, lord it over everyone else about how they don't 'execute' well enough to win enough.

I proclaim: Let us all bow down and kiss their rings.

So now that I've kissed all of them, I feel better. Relieved. Reborn. I know my place now.

Post of the Year?

Post of the Year.

in 2003 at the Southwest Regional, a blue devils tenor fell 2 minutes from the end of the show. His drums came off the harness and it seems like the harness was bent in the fall. He was unable to get back in the show and basically just stood their for the rest of the show trying to get his drums back on. If I recall correctly, BD still won that show and I think they might have still won drums that night... maybe second...

I think that in most cases, Judges look the other way when it comes to falls.

...well, Tony, while you have a point, there are many intangibles that could come into play causing footing problems. Firstly, the surface you are marching on may not be perfectly level or in great condition(carpets can tear...all the newer surfaces are a "rug" of sorts, there are bubbles occasionally...grass fields; well you gotta know about variables involved with home-grown turf)...maybe you picked-up a pebble in your Dinkle without noticing until just the right moment. Shoelaces fail. I think the point I'm making is that no judge in the heat of battle really has time to assess the "why" of any given fall if they aren't right absolutely *there* to see it...what they usually will see is the *result* of the fall. I tend to lean in the way of no-fault insurance...

cg

Oh great... I'm not going to take issue or argue with Charlie Groh... :worthy:

(unless he was blatantly wrong)

And I agree with you. Completely. I even enjoy the caps. It tells me you're righter than right. (Well aren't you nice!)

All these insane, sheets-naive corps who do all these ridiculously hard things and take such risks to challenge themselves and the audience, and commit to innovate year after year, should be ticked into submission.

I say: slow it down. Park and blow. Take a chair. Take it easy. Don't aim too high, brah. Just execute what you have.

If you execute the ordinary perfectly, voila, it becomes extraordinary. It's, like, totally magic. And if it isn't magic enough this year to win, the MISTAKE is probably the JUDGES' FAULT. (See how the caps work their magic?)

I proclaim: Let us all bow down and kiss their rings. (UNNECESSARY)

It's all good, dude. We all know that if you wipe out on Mavericks, you're a kook, and it's your fault. Better to try to surf waist-high waves. Perfectly, though. But don't even try to hum while you do it. That would be too risky.

I love your "tongue in cheek" approach even if we do not agree... :thumbup: