Cadets contra went down at semis

Falls aren't the biggest deal, in the scheme of things.

But I guess I'm wondering: why is it okay to be falling during finals week? It's not late June. It's not mid-July. And for all the stuff people have been saying about quick recoveries, it being 1 person out of 150, etc. -- stuff I agree with -- I think it's also important to reiterate that it happened at semi's, and that it's happened many other times at Finals. Something about that seems troublesome, to me.

Maybe it'd bother me less if Cadets didn't fall during finals/finals week performances so consistently. I don't blame the MM, because no one -- no one -- gets better physical training. But I'm also not finding the tongue-in-cheek solutions very satisfying, sorry.

• Like 2

You can't blame the field at LOS for being slippery. It's not wet, and when I've marched on it I've never noticed any unevenness, and I doubt there would be. But there's always the possibility of weird things happening on finals day. And with high velocity drill, thats not a good thing. I'd say half the time a mm falls, it's not his/her fault. Somebody next to them could have done something.

Oh, and I don't think anyone said that falling with a great recovery helps your score. It just might not be at all affected if you fell and had a great recovery.

I've always heard that it depends on the recovery. If it's a terrible recovery, then yes, it'll probably affect points in a negative way. But if it's an impressive recovery and a judge sees it? Well, he'll be impressed, so...

It certainly is imp[lied here...

I think noname is right - Falls happen and judges understand this. However, they do judge your recovery and I've heard that you can actually raise your score with a good recovery just as much as not having fallen at all.

Here it is stated outright...

it's all about the recovery

A common Phrase...

• Like 1

As a band director, I'll bring up a couple of points. First off you never know, even with astroturf and artificial fields, what the field condition exactly is, there are so many factors that could play into someone falling. And as others have mentioned, there wasn't just one person falling there were many through out the day. I didn't even see every one that has been mentioned, so there may have been some awesome recoveries. And it could be something about the members shoes, as some soles are slippery on different surfaces.

There are sometimes things on the field that you don't see from the stands. I remember one year during finals, a member of a corps lost their mouthpiece on the field, and a guard member of a corps that came on later tripped on it, and twisted her ankle in the fall if I remember correctly. There are so many tiny things on props and uniforms that can come off, and get lost on the field, and may not be noticed by the corps, judges, or people in the stands. Unfortunately during an event like this things can happen, and often do. And with the release of spit valves onto the field, there could actually be wet spots.

Also, balance can play into the factor, if someone isn't hydrated enough prior to a show. I am not saying they didn't get proper water breaks, but sometimes when you are performing in a dome, as opposed to outside, you may not realize you need as much water, since you aren't as hot and sweaty as normal.

And there is the possibility that the drill was difficult and caused slippage, or they were somehow bumped by someone else. Things happen, and unless there is a major noticeable problem, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in the score. And a judge can't be everywhere, and there are probably lots of falls, spills and other accidents on field that may not even be noticed.

The important thing is hopefully no one was injured in their fall. The last thing anyone wants to see is someone get injured during the season.

Stop blaming this on demons. I'm tired of all the hating on this board.

Oh, and let's get this straight: the Cadets contra who fell and recovered didn't "squeeze" back into the line. I read the other thread. Didn't you? He was clearly "slotted" into the line by the judges.

ROTFLMBO!!! Just perfect! :angel1::devil:

And speaking of judges: I was shocked to see that they actually run around on that field. Get them off the field, because fast movements, as well as simultaneous movement and talking into their tri-corders, make me very nervous. They should slot themselves into some chairs.

LOL! I love sarcasm, as it's the highest form of humor (and you do it well) but unfortunately for this last sarcastic bit, I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! What's that tell you about me? :tic:

It's the 21st century. Get the judges off the field!!!

[/quote

I agree about the judges. I nailed the drum judge on my finals run in 2000. His back was turned to me and I backed right into him (marching pretty fast too). I managed to stay on my feet but took a nice shot from my mouthpiece. TOTALLY ruined my finals run!!

It certainly is imp[lied here...

Here it is stated outright...

A common Phrase...

He stated outright that if you have an impressive recovery, you can raise your score just as much as it was lowered for you falling. That's what I got out of that...

Saw the angel contra go down last night and was (again) wondering: Does a fall affect the score?

The line closed down before he could recover but he squeezed in.

The demon contra next to him tried to catch him as he fell. Looked like the demon tripped the angel.

No the devil did it.

Members falling is a sign to me that all corps need to lower their demand so that they can execute perfectly, all the time, no matter what. We need to prevent the insanity and danger to life, limb, and performance scores of playing and marching simultaneously, and especially doing it fast, backwards, or on grass, which stains uniforms, or astroturf, which may chafe.

You must be a Blue Devils fan... that seems to be their take, positive or negative, on difficulty.

The Cavaliers also had a member fall at the end of their show, and their score went up as well, and rightly so.

2001 Cavaliers had a kid fall pretty much right in the middle of the field, really badly, in there finals run. He biffed it pretty good. I've always wondered if he even played another note the entire rest of the show, he was so shaken. You can pretty much follow him for a while after that.

Oh great... I'm not going to take issue or argue with Charlie Groh... :worthy:

(unless he was blatantly wrong)

I love your "tongue in cheek" approach even if we do not agree... :thumbup:

...if I were ever blatantly wrong I would expect you (and everyone else around here! lol) to let me know, Tony. I have great respect for you and most others who post around here. Cuz we care!

cg