Revolution Erupts

This is unfortunate to hear about. I hope that this does not kill off Revolution as a competing corps. Pioneer shared a housing site with Revo in 2009 and they were an awesome group of people.

cavaliers-2011a.jpg

I can hear it now:

"On the field, presenting their 2012 production "THUNDERCATS"... :devil:

• Like 2

I won't waste my time responding to what you think and don't think. It's of little consequence to me. I will, however, answer your questions without regard to your satisfaction.

I was there, as these things were happening. It did not occur to me, as I don't believe it would occur to most people, to say, "Perhaps I'll wait until next week or send a snail mail to try and find out why the staff was fired, why the battery is protesting and why they are being left to fend for themselves as a result of their protest". I began seeking answers immediately. But getting those answers, directly from the horses mouth (so to speak), was not happening... despite the number of methods I used to try to obtain them. And, again, I was there... watching my son, his friends and certain staff members go through this mess. What's more, the people responsible for it were miles away... on their way back to Texas... accessible only to those to which they chose to be accessible. In my opinion (and there's nothing humble about it), they hit and ran. So, the morning after I returned to Texas, I went looking for answers and I got them... right here (post #19). Do I believe them? Not really, but that's for me to deal with. I knew what happened, but I know MUCH more now about how and why things went down then I did when I first wrote the post. So do other Revo parents who shared my outrage and cocern. It, in a sense, removed the muzzles from the mouths of a lot of reputable people.

My son marched and played for Revolution, in 2008, because he wanted to get started in drum crops. My son returned to Revolution in 2009, 2010 and 2011, solely for Carlos Botello and the rest of Revo's now former percussion staff. Where he marched and who he marched for has always been his choice. That said, just about anyone who has been through Revolution can tell you it's not perfect... and no one should expect it to be. Revo had many of the same issues this year that it has EVERY year. It was what happened in the last four days of the season, and how it happened, that we had never experienced before and that I hope Revo members and their parents never experience again.

Drumdad, all I can say it to get involved and get other parents to get involved as Boosters and Board Members and dont let Revolution fold due to this. We cant lose another corps period! Corps have there ups and downs and alot of effort will need to be done to insure that this never happens again for future members.

Best Wishes

MC

Drumdad, all I can say it to get involved and get other parents to get involved as Boosters and Board Members and dont let Revolution fold due to this. We cant lose another corps period! Corps have there ups and downs and alot of effort will need to be done to insure that this never happens again for future members.

Best Wishes

MC

MC,

My Revolution days are over. The events of the past week aside, my son aged-out this year and I do not live near San Antonio. That said, I hope those members and parents with years to go will get involved... on a level greater than making sandwiches and sewing uniforms... and that John Rodriguez and Mike Quigley will allow it. Afterall, when it comes to running a drum corps (or most other things), ten good heads are better than two.

• Like 1

Yah, it ain't good right now, but this is the stuff of reunions! Have heart, Revo, 'cause it *is* YOUR corps...and you were dam good!

cg

True story.......The Glassmen came in 5th place at the first Class A DCI Finals in 1975....After Finals our Corps Dir. Left to go back home because he was very, very sick....He only stayed as long as he did because he wanted to see us through Finals at serious risk to his health......After he went home the rest of the staff left except one....He was a 22 year old equipment manager....He was given $500.00 to get us home from Philly to Toledo....This money was for gas only....Back in the day for the most part we had to find ways to feed ourselves......While standing in line to check out of the Motel room he over heard some staff members from SCV talking about how one of their buses broke down and how were they going to get some of the kids back to Caliy.....Without batting an eye he told them they could ride with us back home and then take them Chicago where they could catch a flight home, the offer was accepted.....So now he had the added responsibility of not only getting us home but now members from another Corps....Our yellow buses made it to home and Chicago...On the way back from Chicago our yellow school buses broke down.....Without being asked the SCV BoD sent money to help cover the cost...

75 was the first year the Glassmen had an extended tour...Up until that point we were for the most part a weekend only Corps....We took off on a 2 week tour and did not fully recover.....We were getting down the road on our placement money...BITD one was not guaranteed any money......It all depended on where the Corps finished....No matter who was at the Show..... In 1976 we tried to field a Corps but it did not work out....I found out 30 years latter one of the main reasons was financial.......93% give or take of the Corps members did not pay their dues and it was $75.00 a year, we had 110 members.....And our bingo game was getting ripped off......Soooooo, the Glassmen had no choice but to go inactive....In 79 a group of Alumni, parents, and friends of the Glassmen got together and decided to bring back the Glassmen.....The first thing they did was to get their financial house in order....Then they put out word for those who were still able to march and those who have not marched before to come back....The rest as they say is history...

Maybe just maybe Revo needs to take a breath, relax and get their finical house in order for this great Corps to move forward..... If it takes a year or two so be it.....If history is any indication, once Revo comes back they will be as strong or stronger then they once were......

DRUMDAD..........You did nothing wrong in creating this thread...despite what some of the forum police would have you believe....(Forum Police-- those who have taken upon themselves to try and dictate what can and can not be posted)Trust me,If you would have the Mods would shut this thread down in a heart beat.....Thank you for not backing down even when they tried to get this thread shut down....

Edited by IntheMood
  • Like 5

This is my final post on this thread.

Last night, I was downloading Michigan City video from my camera to my computer. The video was of Revolution's last run-through, just hours before it's OC finals performance. Corps members responded as staff members worked to motivate them. If they were tired and worn down by the long tour, they certainly weren't showing it. After all, it was almost showtime... time to do what they'd spent a long, hard summer working toward. They ran through their entire show as their teachers applauded and cheered them on. As I watched this it occurred to me that, at this point in time, neither the kids nor their teachers had any idea of the chaos just around the corner. That's all.

Dan Delgado

• Like 6

This is my final post on this thread.

Last night, I was downloading Michigan City video from my camera to my computer. The video was of Revolution's last run-through, just hours before it's OC finals performance. Corps members responded as staff members worked to motivate them. If they were tired and worn down by the long tour, they certainly weren't showing it. After all, it was almost showtime... time to do what they'd spent a long, hard summer working toward. They ran through their entire show as their teachers applauded and cheered them on. As I watched this it occurred to me that, at this point in time, neither the kids nor their teachers had any idea of the chaos just around the corner. That's all.

Dan Delgado

Mr. Delgado,

It has been an honor getting to know your family, and personally teaching your son. I've enjoyed watching he, as well as all the vets grow over the years. And the rooks are included in this as well. I know that day was something special, cause there had always been speculations but they were just that. And our task at hand was to keep the kids happy, and do right by them. At that time I could honestly care less about asking kids for additional money, and other crap with the corp that was higher than my pay rate, ya know. BUT I'd be a fool not to see the things I did. It was a long summer and ever member from kids to staff that met me knows "I prided myself on not knowing ANYTHING", doesn't mean I didn't see anything. And all of them had a great AC experience. And if you don't then your a liar. If my bass 4 had a blast this summer then every individual I hugged and shook hands with from day 1 till the time I got off the bus knows that I'm real 100% all the time. I know the crap that went down and I know I as well as other education staff made sure that the kids had a blast ......... again. If I can quote a former student of mine "I don't know if I'm going to come back to this organization. I love you and the perc staff. Its not you guys I'm not coming back to" . Fill in the blanks if you want to, or leave as I said it. What I ultimately had control over was having fun, hardworking, attention to detail, and more fun. Success in my eyes. I wish everybody in their respected positions thought the same, and on the educational side I think 90% did, and that says A LOT!! I will miss that 90%, the other 10% if I never see you again I think it'll be for the best. To all the parents I tried, and ask your kids if AC was fun to be around and rehearse with. I'm actually curious haha

-LATE

• Like 3

And Revolution has posted a link for 2012 auditions:

http://revolutionypa.org/pages/?pageID=25

$2,400 for tuition?!?!

Yes, that is how much they are charging, now that they are doing a West Coast tour most years. That is actually inexpensive, compared to many WC outfits. And yes, that figure for Revo has gone up from Revo, as they face higher food, fuel, and housing costs. (Of course, this entire activity is facing the same problem.)

John and Mike have a stated goal of trying to keep the cost of membership down. However, given the macroeconomic environment that we are in right now, that is an increasingly tougher job ever year.

• Like 1