Update on PR legend Marty Hurley

Hi friends,

When I was going to Prep School in Newark in the early 60s, I was not far from SAC's stomping grounds, Lifelong fan which means I greatly admired Mr. Hurley's playing as I did with the Cadets and Cabs. Never got to meet Mr Hurley. Have met Dr. Wooten in Clinton, Ms. at a PAS event in the 90's. Mr. Hurley's accomplishments as a player and teacher are exemplary. The care that Dr. Wooten and Mendy 328 and MikeN show how respected and admired he is.

Kevin Doherty

• Like 1

In the early 70's I was playing snare drum in a little east coast corps that had made the journey to Lynn MA to compete in the World Open Class B competition. We had struggled through the early part of the season and to be honest, we were not optimistic about our chances.

Due to his commitment to the National Guard, Jim Hurley, our regular drum instructor, was unable to make the trip, and asked his brother Marty to come up and give us a hand. The day before prelims Marty came in, worked with the drum line and lent a hand at ensemble practice. As we were breaking for dinner, Marty asked the snare line to stay behind so he could spend a little more time with us. He kept us for what seemed like a couple of hours, giving us the full benefit of his expertise and working us as though we were preparing for World Class Nationals. The next day we were all blistered up, but the snare line played well at prelims and helped push our drum line and our little corps into the Class B finals.

We were three young nobodies from Nowhere USA, but Marty pushed us hard to be the best we could be, and helped make a difference for us and our corps that weekend. In case I didn't take the time to say it then, thanks, Marty; I'm hoping and praying for the best.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

Though we knew it was inevitable, Marty Hurley, educator, mentor and awesome human being, passed today at 1:50 CDT. As we've all seen in postings here and other message boards and social media, Marty leaves a legacy that is hard to comprehend, let alone achieve.

My condolences to the Hurley family, the Phantom Regiment family, the Brother Martin family, and anyone who was taught, mentored or otherwise inspired by Marty Hurley.

RIP

Garry in Vegas

Sad day here in New Orleans. There's not a drum corps or band from New Orleans that wasn't inspired by Marty

Local newspaper write up

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2011/09/longtime_brother_martin_high_s.html

edit for correct link ( :doh: )

Edited by The Other Mike

Loss of a legend. Rest in Peace, Marty Hurley. :-(