So no more bad shows?

Where did you find any criticism of MC on my post? I happen to have been a big fan of the Scouts when he was there. (and still am today)

My criticism is directed more to those who found fault with him then.

And, FWIW, the sheets were the same then I believe.

Yea, I read that wrong. I stand corrected. I do think that the competitive climate can change from year to year while the sheets stay the same. It all depends on what the judges are directed to evaluate.

I find it interesting that when MC was the actual program coordinator and designer for the Scouts, just a few short years ago, many folks on here were complaining about his work.

Now many are singing praises for his work.

Hey...it's DCP.

I'm confused... are they the same people? Since when does all of DCP agree on everything?

Anyway, his current position is a totally different job. MC wasn't coming up with show ideas this year, he was just encouraging the corps to focus more on their identity and connecting with the audience. Even if he did poorly as a designer for Madison, why should that mean he can't do well as an artistic consultant for DCI as a whole? Heck, why can't we criticize bad work and praise good work? Just look at reactions to George Hopkins through the years.

I find it interesting that when MC was the actual program coordinator and designer for the Scouts, just a few short years ago, many folks on here were complaining about his work.

Now many are singing praises for his work.

Hey...it's DCP.

I only remember seeing criticism his last year there (2006).

But one thing to keep in mind, at least in my opinion... Perhaps we like 2011 so much because we didn't like 2010, or 2009-2010, or some recent shows from certain corps. I liked 2011 BD a lot, but probably because I didn't care too much for BD 2008-2010. If BD 2011 came in succession after 1994, or 1997, or 2003, or some other BD show I liked, I probably wouldn't be "entertained" as much.

So I think that explains, at least to some extent, Cesario's success this year. And it explains some of the criticism he received with the Scouts - perhaps folks didn't favor 2006 because they liked 2005, or 1999, or 1997.

For what it's worth, I bet DCI is even better next year, as I believe Cesario will be encouraging, and hopefully implementing, changes to the sheets that will reflect the "entertainment" discussions he had with corps this year.

Cesario does not have control over the corps' show design. He's a consultant encouraging the designers to focus on connecting with the audience, and I assume he's also challenging them to justify certain decisions. I think that role is valuable in that Cesario can talk the designers' language and make sure they are considering an outside view. It's easy to get so wrapped up in your creative process that you don't always give what you come up with a critical viewing, so if that's what Cesario has done this year he was wildly successful and I hope he continues in this role for a little longer.

An episode of the Marching Roundtable podcast had a two part interview with Michael before the season. I recommend checking that out if you're interested in what his role was supposed to be.

http://www.marchingroundtable.com/2011/04/28/episode-7-michael-cesario-interview-part-1/

Well whomever is responsible, I really don't care. Just give us MORE MORE MORE OF THIS YEAR!!! FANTASTIC!!!

I've long said this, but you can never have too much Cesario. Now someone please find the picture that was posted on DCP some time back that had his photo and read, "Needs More Cesario!" (That came before I said what is now my mantra.)

Edited by Michael Boo

I've long said this, but you can never have too much Cesario. Now someone please find the picture that was posted on DCP some time back that had his photo and read, "More Cesario!" (That came before I said what is now my mantra.)

I think it's fair to say that Cesario did his job well. Let's not forget that this year all the corps were putting out some sound again ... Cavies, BD, Cadets, Crown .. heck all of them. The only corps that really held back was Glassmen. Crossmen were even smokin .. and maybe (just maybe) the folks down in SA needed a reminder of who that corps was and should be.

The only thing he could have done more was to convince Boston to play a full blown CONQUEST for their closer .. and have BD bust out some old 80's charts and play them full out as well. Based on BD's show this year and the way they played it ....... I'll take it and then some! I guess my point is, all the corps are more identifiable with their roots this year .. to a certain extent. It's not all the way there, but it felt great. Cadets were Cadets. BD was BD. Cavies were Cavies. Crown was Crown. Troopers were Troopers and on down the line. Even Pioneer was Pioneer.

I also look at this from a structure standpoint. It's about time DCI had a creative vision that allowed for the lack of uniformity in design elements (still lacking) .. and has more individual identity. It adds to the marketability of the activity and a creative structure that keeps variety alive and well. Bravo! Keep it up and more of it. I can't wait to see things continue in this direction (I pray for it).

Edited by supersop

if Cesario had a hand in developing what became the 2011 programs, then I say more power to him! And that is coming from someone who is definitely NOT a Madison Scouts fan!

Edited by Volbroker

if Cesario had a hand in developing what became the 2011 programs, then I say more power to him! And that is coming from someone who is definitely NOT a Madison Scouts fan!

People forget that Cesario used to have his hands in the Cadets pot back in the 80's .. then Phantom from 87 thru whenever .. and many other corps. His track record is long and distinguished .. including a few championships that he was involved with. It's not like Madison was his only gig in the history of DCI.

• Like 2

props to Michael for having the balls to call the designers out and remember who helps pay the bills......the fans

How good was 2011? I think corps 13-17 would have been DCI finalists a few years ago. Even with less corps than say 30 years ago, it is still a huge deal to make finals. Cesario made a great point in the June theater broadcast when he said somthing to the effect that DCI needed to bring the variety and indentity back (which made 1980 such a memorable year) into the modern DCI. For the first time in memory, you could cover your eyes and immediately tell who was on the field. For the first time in years, I am reading about how the Cd's and DVDS and Blue rays are gonna be worn out. It's not just a few corps..it's almost the entire field! Thank you arrangers for sticking to the melodies..