Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Ok, so maybe Finals night itself indoors was a good idea given the storm but why was the roof not open for Prelims and Semis. I have heard that reasoning is that if there is a chance for rain on any of the three nights that the roof would be closed for all three nights. The reason for this I have heard is because of the change in acoustic environment if the roof were to change from night to night would be difficult to deal with. I hope DCI has a better reason than that. Reason being, drum corps have to deal with environmental variables all the time--temperature, wind, wetness, height of the grass, length of box to the field, angle of box, etc. Having to change the "levels" to adjust for indoor to outdoor should be a sacrifice every staff member would be willing to make for the fans. I think most fans prefer drum corps outdoors. And variables make the competition more fun anyway. If we can't get the roof open easily, I say we need to start considering other venues. Oh, and another point, every show should be "performable" without electronics so we could still have shows inlight rain. I'm not anti electronics. I just think it should be possible (if not the best) to perform your show without them. Once again, looking out for the fans. In the end, "its drum corps." I like hard hits in football cause "ITS FOOTBALL". I like drum corps shows outside cause "ITS DRUM CORPS." Call me crazy.

• Like 3

Honestly, I would prefer to keep it at Lucas Oil. But I would like to see the roof opened as much as possible. I know it will still be echoey because of the overhangs. But I imagine it would be better acoustically. And for me, its just aesthetically pleasing to be able to look up at the night sky during a drum corps competition. Simply doesn't feel right indoors.

• Like 2

A concern is the air conditioning on hot days would have to be off throughout the entire stadium, including the lounges, bathrooms, tunnels, elevators, etc.

As much as I like outdoor drum corps, the reality is we no longer have the rain date we have for many years, back when most members still took the bus home. Today, most members fly home, with tickets for some time on Sunday. Some corps now have their banquets on Sunday as well. Having a rain delay to the next day just isn't feasible anymore. And all that isn't considering the fans who have plane tickets for Sunday. We always knew in the past that if the show had to be delayed a day, a lot of people wouldn't be in the stands, but at least the kids would be there. That's not the case, anymore.

• Like 1

Having seen all 3 dome shows this year (San Antonio, Atlanta and Indy) I gotta say I was really pleased with the accostics in Indy. Yeah there was the reverb after notes were released, but the drums were much clearer in Indy than in San Antonio (bad) and Atlanta (awful). I sat in roughly the same area in all three stadiums (between the 45s, about 23 rows up). Perhaps in the upper and outer sections the sound may not have been that good.

Given the risk of rainouts, the high cost of tickets and travel plans I agree that finals needs to be in a dome. Or moved to Los Angeles........which is not a bad idea.

Honestly, I would prefer to keep it at Lucas Oil. But I would like to see the roof opened as much as possible. I know it will still be echoey because of the overhangs. But I imagine it would be better acoustically. And for me, its just aesthetically pleasing to be able to look up at the night sky during a drum corps competition. Simply doesn't feel right indoors.

Unless it was fairly cool outside, we would probably be miserable sitting in a partly open stadium with no air conditioning.

• Like 1

A concern is the air conditioning on hot days would have to be off throughout the entire stadium, including the lounges, bathrooms, tunnels, elevators, etc.

As much as I like outdoor drum corps, the reality is we no longer have the rain date we have for many years, back when most members still took the bus home. Today, most members fly home, with tickets for some time on Sunday. Some corps now have their banquets on Sunday as well. Having a rain delay to the next day just isn't feasible anymore. And all that isn't considering the fans who have plane tickets for Sunday. We always knew in the past that if the show had to be delayed a day, a lot of people wouldn't be in the stands, but at least the kids would be there. That's not the case, anymore.

Plus the logistics of opening and closing the roof at LOS. Not as easy as it might sound.

I hope to get back to DCIs one of these years, and honestly, as a fan, I'll be happy to sit and watch the show in a temperature-controlled environment like the one at LOS. Especially a long show like the Thursday semifinals.

Who know what other domes with retractable roofs may be built in the next 7 years as well... maybe one stadium by then will be more advanced and make it more possible to open the roof if need be.

Plus the logistics of opening and closing the roof at LOS. Not as easy as it might sound.

I hope to get back to DCIs one of these years, and honestly, as a fan, I'll be happy to sit and watch the show in a temperature-controlled environment like the one at LOS. Especially a long show like the Thursday semifinals.

I remember suffering from signs of heatstroke after a full day of prelims in the heat of Birmingham in 1980. I realized during Blue Stars (who I think was the last corps on in Prelims) that I couldn't take it anymore, and so I got up as they were about to begin to walk up the steps to get in the shade at the top of the upper deck. Someone in an aisle seat stood up and literally grabbed me, asking if I was okay, as I must have looked so bad. They helped me up and after a HUGE Coke and some ice, I was okay. I may have been short on fluids, but my point is I was 24-years-old. Imagine what someone my age now or older might feel under the same blistering circumstances after a full day of corps.