Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

It's my understanding that TOC competitions are to be composed of the previous season's top 8. The format of the competitions themselves seems to have been the only thing that was carried over from the G7 proposal to the TOC. All the bizarre #### has been left aside. For now.

I enjoyed the TOC competition in Murfreesboro. I didn't feel that it ran that long, but there were parts of the show that could clearly be streamlined. When the corps enter the field for the finale, for example. Having them all jumbled up is a fine idea, but it took way too long to get things set up. I loved the idea of having corps troop the sta . . . uh, give "instant encores" but it would be nice if a way were found for the encores to be performed while the next corps sets up. Blue Devils did a pretty neat thing where their encore flowed organically out of their show. That sped things along considerably, though obviously not every corps can do this.

Text voting could be worked on too. A pretty good chunk of the audience tried to do the text voting, but it seems as though a good many of them gave up.

There are a few corps who have won championships in CYO/AL as well...Do we just discount that because it just happens to be pre-DCI era?

The branding of this as " Champions " is fraught with problems as it requires a subtext to determine if ( say )being declared a DCI " Champion " in Div 2,3 ( small Div.... fewer Corps ) a decade ago, is better than being declared a Div.1 ( Large Div....more Corps ) National "Champion" in pre DCI. In my view, such a subtext comparison would be unfortunate in either case. This all could have been avoided with better due diligence and simply going with one of thousands of other possible names that would have been more appropriate and which would not have created either confusion or controversy with the name.

Edited by BRASSO

The branding of this as " Champions " is fraught with problems as it requires a subtext to determine if ( say )being declared a DCI " Champion " in Div 2,3 ( small Div.... fewer Corps ) a decade ago, is better than being declared a Div.1 ( Large Div....more Corps ) National "Champion" in pre DCI. This all could have been avoided with better due diligence and simply going with one of thousands of other possible names that would have been more appropriate and which would not have created either confusion or controversy with the name.

We could call it the "Wicked Pissah" Corps Collective.

• Like 2

'Frickin' A right! ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO

The branding of this as " Champions " is fraught with problems as it requires a subtext to determine if ( say )being declared a DCI " Champion " in Div 2,3 ( small Div.... fewer Corps ) a decade ago, is better than being declared a Div.1 ( Large Div....more Corps ) National "Champion" in pre DCI. In my view, such a subtext comparison would be unfortunate in either case. This all could have been avoided with better due diligence and simply going with one of thousands of other possible names that would have been more appropriate and which would not have created either confusion or controversy with the name.

I find it quite ironic that the classification "Tour of Champions" itself was supposed to assist in marketing...yet it has created all these conflicting opinions and/or the need for the subtext.

• Like 1

There are a few corps who have won championships in CYO/AL as well...Do we just discount that because it just happens to be pre-DCI era?

Well technically yes, because TOC is a DCI series event so therefore only DCI Champions would count in this case. As for those Division 2, 3, etc. arguments, they to would also be invalid because the TOC is a World Class event so only those champions associated with WC, formerly Div. 1 would be eligible.

Edited by Armyscout

This made me think of..."Whata manuvah" (along with the strong accent). I forgot where I first heard this... :tongue:

Edited by Liahona

I find it quite ironic that the classification "Tour of Champions" itself was supposed to assist in marketing...yet it has created all these conflicting opinions and/or the need for the subtext.

Things were much simpler at one time...we used to just call our TOC the " Tour of Circus " .

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well technically yes, because TOC is a DCI series event so therefore only DCI Champions would count in this case. As for those Division 2, 3, etc. arguments, they to would also be invalid because the TOC is a World Class event so only those champions associated with WC, formerly Div. 1 would be eligible.

Well under your definition that means Carolina Crown AND Bluecoats are both out...Madison in...

< sarcasm/on>

How convenient you have made it...lol...I'm quite sure that would go over real well with "the powers that be" and the Crown and BLOO fans as well...

< sarcasm/off>

This made me think of..."Whata manuvah" (along with the strong accent). I forgot where I first heard this... :tongue:

Ya, but do you really gava... ? ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO