Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

I think you will see TOC in 2012, with the clarification being that there is no 3 year top 8 requirement, just the previous years top 8.

I agree.

TOC will be as defined by DCI this year (Top 8 from previous year).

TOC shows will continue into 2012 and beyond. They were -- by all reports -- very successful.

The movie preview weekend will happen again.

No controversy about who gets in.

No controversy about how they qualify.

As for the G7-necromancers....

coupon-rw18.jpg

I think you will see TOC in 2012, with the clarification being that there is no 3 year top 8 requirement, just the previous years top 8.

I think that MOST people would be happy with this clarification as well. The only real complaints I've seen dealt with the "length" of the show.

• Like 1

TOC shows will continue into 2012 and beyond. They were -- by all reports -- very successful.

We've heard the TOC was " very successful ", but other than attendance, there really has been no public info regarding what each Corps received in revenues... and just as importantly, were the extra travel costs incurred by some of these Corps offset by the revenues received from their TOC participation ? I think its quite possible that it was, but as near as I can tell, none of the TOC Corps have made internal decisions on this that would lead one to conclude that their individual participation in the TOC was financially " very successful ". Again, you could be right. But I don't yet know what it was like financially for each of them. Some had to make more pretty substantial investments in travel costs as they traveled further than others. But in due time, we'll know more on the individual Corps financial success rate aspect of all this.

Edited by BRASSO

I think G7 have higher aspirations...

"The Tour of Champions would present 12-14 events per year that are on Fridays and Sundays in the vicinity of the Saturday Super Showcase!. These Tour of Champs events will draw 7K to 10K per event … generating interest, and therein allowing for special presentations, additional event activity, and additional community tie-in."

Agreed. If DCI or the other corps balk at an expansion of the TOC shows, I'll be interested to see if the top 7 attempt to just organize non-DCI shows and save that much more revenue for themselves.

Don't really understand why corpsband thinks this is a conspiracy theory. Things are going pretty much how the powerpoint suggested so far. All of the take-over-DCI stuff was not an immediate thing, but a down-the-road thing. First step was the TOC.

And most of those had to do with either weather or crowd flow.

That's funny, because the Houston show had neither of those problems, started on time and went late. Please explain to me how crowd flow and weather had anything to do with how long the Houston show went on?

Were any of the 7:30 ToC start times delayed?

It would be interesting if the TOC was strictly the TOC, including only corps that have actually won championships that way the name and the event would make more sense. So in theory a G6, for now, would make more sense until a new corps won then they would be added to the TOC.

That's funny, because the Houston show had neither of those problems, started on time and went late. Please explain to me how crowd flow and weather had anything to do with how long the Houston show went on?

I was at the Meadowlands show and it was delayed 20-30 minutes at the start due to crowd issues, and then by weather during intermission. IMHO, the crowd delay was more due to how the Meadowlands staff was processing people (thorough check of bags and cursory pat-down of each individual that I saw) and the number that showed up at the start. Since the Cadets were practicing in the stadium and had a Hall of Fame ceremony, no one was allowed in the gates until around 6:00ish, I think. By that time, 100-150 people were already in line to be processed, they had 8 lines (4 male + 4 female) and as usual, the female line took much longer. ** Not a slam on females - more a slam on the facilities ** For some reason, at events where large numbers of people are present, no facility deals well with large numbers of women as well as they do men.

And I think the other shows ran a little long due to the instant encores. Some took more time than others to setup, some played longer, and they all delayed the next corps getting on the field by several minutes. And we didn't get the mass-brass at the end due to the crowd and weather delays, so that probably added a bunch more time to the other shows, also. All in all, I think it was an OK first trial. If they do it again next year, I would hope they'd streamline it a bit and make some better choices for the encores. Either way, if there's one near enough to me, I'd buy a ticket again.

Edited to add:

Not complaining about the thorough inspections getting in the gate. whether they actually make us safer, or just make us feel that way, I didn't mind. I'd prefer taking the extra precautions just to be on the safe side (or to feel that way). :tongue:

Edited by Shamu89

It would be interesting if the TOC was strictly the TOC, including only corps that have actually won championships that way the name and the event would make more sense. So in theory a G6, for now, would make more sense until a new corps won then they would be added to the TOC.

There are a few corps who have won championships in CYO/AL as well...Do we just discount that because it just happens to be pre-DCI era?

Edited by Liahona

Yes, both the Rockford and Meadowlands show starts were delayed.